Permanent Residence

Has anyone, particularly EU citizens, applied for permanent residence (10 years)? According to the MAI site, one of the requirements is proving that you've a) been here long enough to be eligible and b) haven't had measures taken against you to kick you out.

Does anyone who has been through the process remember how they demonstrated these? The site just says 'this can be proved by any means'.

Cheers.

Maykal, take at look here if you haven't already.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/re … dex_en.htm

It should answer one part of your question.  As for proof that you haven't had measures taken against you to kick you out, a quick 'cazier judiciar' printout should probably be sufficient

Romaniac

Ah ok, cheers. That should be easy enough then. I have a five-year certificate, and had another five-year one before that which I assume (but probably incorrectly, knowing the red tape here) that they could verify, plus I have utility bills filed dating back 10 years and a purchase contract on my apartment from 2006. I guess that should satisfy them.

Hi. Need to do this ourselves next year. What's a Cazier Judicar certificate & where/how would we get one? Thanks

Robin & Sue wrote:

Hi. Need to do this ourselves next year. What's a Cazier Judicar certificate & where/how would we get one? Thanks

A cazier is a printout you obtain from the police that states whether or not you have a criminal record (dosar penal) in Romania.

Thanks! I'll go & visit them a few days before we need to register.

Based on a visit and discussion I had with IGI yesterday:

1.  A cazier judiciar is not required.

2.  The tax for the permanent residence application is 7 RON.

3.  You must have at least 6 months validity remaining on your temporary residence.  First you apply for approval of granting permanent residence, which takes up to 6 months, a decision is sent to you withing 15 days of reaching a decision.  If approved, you then have 30 days to go to IGI and request the permanent residence permit card.

4.  You must understand and speak Romanian when you go in to IGI.  There is not any formal/written examination, it's entirely (non-objectively) decided by the officials you converse with if your Romanian is good enough.  The guys in the Iasi office are courteous and easy-going.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

What? Since when is a EU citizen required to speak the language of the country is living in order to get the permanent residence certificate? It's not like applying for the citizenship.

NemoProphetaInPatria wrote:

What? Since when is a EU citizen required to speak the language of the country is living in order to get the permanent residence certificate? It's not like applying for the citizenship.

It's common across the EU, that when applying for permanent residency you must show that you have integrated sufficiently.  This means speaking the national language.  Seems rational to me.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/re … dex_en.htm

Please check here. First all of the certificate is not compulsory; then one should automatically get the permanent registration card. What if one doesn't speak well enough the language of the country he/she's living in because not required for his/her job or simply because he/she doesn't like it or faces difficulties to learn it? A nice deportation as a EU citizen? :) the language requirement is something Romania invented. Even in Greece for example there's no such requirement. You only have to show that you have lived permanently in the country. Full stop.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/residence/documents-formalities/eu-nationals-permanent-residence/index_en.htm

Please check here. First all of the certificate is not compulsory; then one should automatically get the permanent registration card. What if one doesn't speak well enough the language of the country he/she's living in because not required for his/her job or simply because he/she doesn't like it or faces difficulties to learn it? A nice deportation as a EU citizen? :) the language requirement is something Romania invented. Even in Greece for example there's no such requirement. You only have to show that you have lived permanently in the country. Full stop.

I'm well aware of that link/site, however it's only general EU information.  The language requirement is not specific to Romania.  If you're really interested, read up on OUG 194/2002, the actual Romanian law the outlines the requirements, of course it's written in Romanian. 

Romania did not "invent" this requirement as you say; Italy, Poland, Germany, Netherlands, Denmark and likely other countries also have the exact same requirement for permanent residency, and in fact have formal written examinations in civil integration (which includes the national language).  The law applies to EU and non-EU citizens equally.

If one wants to live in an expat bubble and refuse to learn the language, that's ok, though unfortunate.   However you won't get the right of permanent residence.  The temporary stay can be renewed, without issue.  Deportation is not happening and it's unnecessary to jump to that conclusion.  Also keep in mind you don't have to be a master of the Romanian language, you just need to be able to hold a basic conversation with the agent.  So, in this aspect, it's perhaps easier than other countries!  For someone that's lived here 5+ years, it should be doable unless you never go outside and see anybody (i.e integrate!).

Nope. I am Italian and this is the page of the city of Milano regarding the permanent residence of EU citizens. No mentions at all of the language requirement and above all it is automatically granted if you demonstrate that you lived in Italy without interruptions. I have never heard something about civil integration test in Italy at least for EU citizens; of course if you apply for citizenship it is a completely different story.

Of course one should be able to communicate in the local language of the country after 5 years, but I am saying that the lack of communication skills should not hinder the issue of the permanent registration card. And what you are calling generic European requirements are what actually should matter above any other national law. Be a member of the EU is not only getting rights and money from the other states but also satisfy some duties sometimes..

Nope. I am Italian and this is the page of the city of Milano regarding the permanent residence of EU citizens. No mentions at all of the language requirement and above all it is automatically granted if you demonstrate that you lived in Italy without interruptions. I have never heard something about civil integration test in Italy at least for EU citizens; of course if you apply for citizenship it is a completely different story.

http://www.comune.milano.it/wps/portal/ … tazioni_ue

Of course one should be able to communicate in the local language of the country after 5 years, but I am saying that the lack of communication skills should not hinder the issue of the permanent registration card. And what you are calling generic European requirements are what actually should matter above any other national law. Be a member of the EU is not only getting rights and money from the other states but also satisfy some duties sometimes..

hello romaniac,
I am married to a romania woman for 3years now..i read on the internet that to be a romania citizenship you have to be married for 5years. is it true.
and will i need to apply first for a permanent residency once our marriage is 5years old. i have been in romania now for 2years. we were married in spain a year early.
do i have 2 more years to apply for permanent residency as stated on the internet. kindly enlighten me? bcos i read also that some people have to leave in romania for 5years. i dont think that matters to me since my marriage will be 5 years soon.

tonyjohnson12 wrote:

hello romaniac,
I am married to a romania woman for 3years now..i read on the internet that to be a romania citizenship you have to be married for 5years. is it true.
and will i need to apply first for a permanent residency once our marriage is 5years old. i have been in romania now for 2years. we were married in spain a year early.
do i have 2 more years to apply for permanent residency as stated on the internet. kindly enlighten me? bcos i read also that some people have to leave in romania for 5years. i dont think that matters to me since my marriage will be 5 years soon.

Permanent residency can be granted after 5 years of living in Romania.  When and where you got married is irrelevant to permanent residency.  So, you have 3 more years before you can apply, not 2 years.

Your citizenship question is off topic, please refer to topics related to that issue.

Romaniac

@romaniac
i think you need to find more info about this.. according to eu law and on the internet , one has to be married for 3 or 5 years accoording to the law of the country of residency and not how long you been there..for example in holland, poland and hungaria, i have friends married for 3years and they applied for permanent residency.. you can check on the internet it is clearly stated.. thanks

tonyjohnson12 wrote:

@romaniac
i think you need to find more info about this.. according to eu law and on the internet , one has to be married for 3 or 5 years accoording to the law of the country of residency and not how long you been there..for example in holland, poland and hungaria, i have friends married for 3years and they applied for permanent residency.. you can check on the internet it is clearly stated.. thanks

Marriage is not a requirement of attaining permanent residence.  I think you are confused with citizenship eligibility.  One must be resident in Romania 5 years to get permanent residence.  Yes, it is clearly stated.

Hello, I appreciate your posts, you do a really goood job👍
So much so that even if Im romanian, I would like to ask you if you could provide a link / details on the meaning of living in Romania for the last 5 years to obtain permanent residency. Reason of asking is that me and my non eu wife are working outside Romania .

Stef45 wrote:

Hello, I appreciate your posts, you do a really goood job👍
So much so that even if Im romanian, I would like to ask you if you could provide a link / details on the meaning of living in Romania for the last 5 years to obtain permanent residency. Reason of asking is that me and my non eu wife are working outside Romania .

As requested.  I will quote the paragraph, and a link to the source is below:

Conditions for granting the long-term right to stay
In order to obtain the long-term right to stay, you must have had a continuous stay in Romania during the last 5 years. The stay is considered a continuous period if the absence from the Romanian territory is inferior to 6 consecutive months and does not exceed a total of 10 months and if no action of removal from the national territory was ordered against you.
Also, the period during which you have traveled abroad  pursuing activities of international transportation and for which you can present written evidence in this regard is not considered absence from Romania.
The length of stay for study purposes is calculated at half for the long-term residence and the residence under short-stay visa, under the diplomatic or employment visa or the one obtained for the pursuing of seasonal worker activities cannot be taken into account.
See the full list of the necessary conditions for the granting of the permanent residence and the exceptions thereto.

Source: http://igi.mai.gov.ro/en/content/long-t … ce-romania

Romaniac

Thank you very much. As usual, on subject!