Wi-Fi access in San Juan?

Hey all,

We land in San Juan on Thursday, and will be in temporary lodging for two weeks while we try to find a place. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on that front!

I work remotely for a Texas-based company, so it's important that I have wi-fi access. Can anyone recommend coffeeshops or internet cafes in town? I know not every cafe is keen on having someone sitting there all day, but some are happy for the business.

Also... what's the best internet provider on the island? We'll need to get service set up ASAP in our place once we lock it down.

Thanks again for all of your help, everyone!

Liberty but can not know if they serve your home.

The best Internet provider will depend on where you live.  Where I live now, it is Liberty Cable. Where I used to live in a remote area I had to use my AT&T phone as a hot spot. I still use this as a backup.

Where in SJ are you staying???  When our internet was down, I would go to Bad Ass Coffee in OSJ - its wifi was surprisingly good. At the time they had an upstairs area and they didn't mind people hanging out.

We'll be in Old San Juan for the first two weeks, but we're looking for an apartment in Santurce.

Santurce is serviced by liberty so it is likely you will be able to use it, however no guarantees.

yea, Liberty.

There are many bars and restaurants in OSJ with Wi-Fi. There's even a free Wi-Fi hot spot at Plaza de Colon.

We have a hot spot feature with T-Mobile and have everything in our apartment in OSJ set up on it. We have complete internet access and pay something like $80/mo for all three phones, two TVs, tablets and computers, with unlimited voice and texting. There are dozens of channels that don't count on the data, including premium channels. We watch Netflix all day and don't pay anything for data. My property manager (who lives in OSJ J says Claro is the best for internet alone in the San Juan metropolitan area, but we got a better deal, all considered with T-Mobile.

How do you find out what company services your area? I am moving to Isabela.

Most of them have web sites you can enter your address in and you can call them. If there is an owner or a previous tenant, you can get their account info and call the provider with the info you have. Expect you will not have service for a week or so as it takes them time to get you connected, if possible make arrangements while you are state side for a day or two after you arrive.

Not a fan of their coffee but there are plenty of Starbucks around, you can sit outside enjoying a nice ocean breeze depending on the location. Condado is nice. Personally I would consider a co-working space, two weeks will fly by and it's good to have a professional refuge. Off the top of my head there is piloto151.com but if you google "coworking san juan pr", you should get plenty of hits to explore.

The very fastest IP I am aware of is Optico Fiber, available in the metro area only atm, check their map. Generally most ppl go with Liberty, we have 60mbps dl and 6 mbps ul and the price is right. They go up to 300/20 though.

Cheers and bienvenidos!

MacD has wifi