Considering buying land for sustainable living

As we're considering buying land we would like to know the legalities of two U.K. citizens owning and developing land in Colombia (not for profit) - aiming for self-sufficiency and reforestation. Our plan would be to have a community of like-minded individuals living and working on the land with us - of all nationalities. Does anyone know, as non-residents, whether we can legally purchase/develop land? We are both Spanish speakers and have lived in Mexico but are currently working in Uzbekistan. Thank you! Any help would be gratefully received.

In the recent decades, huge numbers of Colombians have been displaced from their land during the FARC struggles.  Many died.

In late 2016, in Havana, Cuba, the leader of the ex-FARC rebels finally signed a peace treaty with the Colombian government.

Nevertheless, instituting the peace with its many complications is just beginning.

I wouldn't recommend planning anything in Colombia of the sort you describe, from Uzbekistan.

If you're serious about doing anything in Colombia -- as opposed to other South American countries, for instance -- do the right thing and visit first.

If your project might be doable in a number of countries, it might be premature to put Colombia at the top of the list.

If you post here again, kindly tell us:  why would you choose Colombia for this project?

cccmedia in La Zona Cafetera, Colombia

We have chosen Colombia because I am originally Venezuelan, but I have been told by friends there that returning to Venezuela anytime within the next decade would not be advisable. We also have a friend who is currently doing something very similar to our idea, he is close to Cali, so we have a connection in the country.

Of course, we would never consider making a decision like this without having spent time within the country, we are simply gathering as much information as possible, before making an informed decision.