Studying in Taiwan

Hello everyone,

Would you recommend studying abroad in Taiwan?

Every year, 4 million young people from all over the world choose to study abroad for one semester or a full academic year. Would you encourage them to come and study in Taiwan?

In your opinion, what are the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country/area? Are these free of charge? If not, are tuition fees expensive? Are there many foreign students enrolled in these schools/colleges/universities? What is the main language of instruction at the university?

Thank you in advance for sharing!
Priscilla

What r the chances of getting a full scholarship on a jfrv

No. Surprisingly, you can get a better Chinese language learning in the USA.
I took Chinese at Monterey Language Institute in CA. It is internationally known and indeed high quality. I took Chinese in Taipei, Taiwan in several places and it was not as good as the education I got in the USA.

How easy it to get a scholarship as a foreigner in Taiwan

I recommend Taiwan for studying Chinese. It is a great place and the people are amazing. The program at NTU was well done and I felt the textbook was well written. Just as with any language you get out of it what you put in. If you hang out with nothing but expats and never speak Mandarin, then you will not get anything from studying in Taiwan. The best learning tool would be to never speak English for the duration of your stay. If you truly want to learn the language, live with a roommate who does not speak any English. Also, a large part of language is culture. If you want to learn the language, immerse yourself in the culture. There are people who cannot do this. They cannot live immersed in a culture so foreign to their own. However, if you can this is the best way to learn any language.

Your question seeks a black and white answer when in reality nothing is so. But the general guide is: what does the particular student wish to achieve. Another useful tip is to talk with someone with such experience for pointers. Schools in Taiwan, like those elsewhere, must have certain programs that suit overseas student purposes. Just as quality of teachers, the dedicated ones come in all races, regardless of locale. Yet one more tip would be to consider conflict-of-interest. Do not easily believe a promoter of any program, unless one's ultimate goal in higher education is to merely acquire feather in one's cap. In which case I'd suggest enrolling in any program globally perceived as "for the elite."

i support the comment, imagine there are hundred of places study Mandarin in Taiwan, but you need to find which one is the best, otherwise you may drop some inadequate hands, but one thing for sure full one year you should dig it up real hard to keep up with level of upper intermediate,, this explanations for sure people like me as of moderate intelligence,  if you are one completing doctorate degree in one year then this comment is not fur yuu....

in common assessment standpoint, yes it is surely much higher points than middle,
in specific major standpoint, i knew two of them i believe those are in top five worldwide
one is contemporary marketing, another is Neurosurgery... admiringly good

Among the top Taiwan universities ranked at the famous QS Top Universities ranking, we find the National Taiwan University (NTU) (engineering and natural science), the National Tsing Hua University (Engineering and Technology) and the National Chiao Tung University (engineering and technology). They appear among the top 200 universities.

Well, you speak about learning Mandarin, but I see that this destination is also perfect to develop strong engineering skills, right?

a local from Taipei that help deal with the language and cultural barriers, etc > yuanstation.com/en/

your right, it is wonderful place for developing engineering skills too,,
but i would like to add up some of my opinion about it,,
i think before should ask yourself what is next, i.e. as i knew some very skillful and highly capable Taiwanese engineers working for giant US companies taiwan branches to develop new product,  seems they are like contractors,  get the cascade and make it come true   
there are thousand of eastern mobile phone maker but no any iphone like, there are hundreds of network system maker but there is no like lucent tech..  so,   i mean if you like to be challenger for engineering the place is still US.    sure this is my opinion not oblique to others
regards