Studying in Maldives

Hello everyone,

Would you recommend studying abroad in Maldives?

Every year, 4 million young people from all over the world choose to study abroad for one semester or a full academic year. Would you encourage them to come and study in Maldives?

In your opinion, what are the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country/area? Are these free of charge? If not, are tuition fees expensive? Are there many foreign students enrolled in these schools/colleges/universities? What is the main language of instruction at the university?

Thank you in advance for sharing!
Priscilla

Dear Priscilla,

Greetings from France and happy new year.

I have spent two years in the Maldives, and what i can tell you in terms of studies, it is not a place to go since there are no proper university at all and there are (i guess) no student exchange plan like it exist in the rest of the world.

Not everyone does speak english properly in the country.

So i would not recommend to go to the maldives for studying, better for diving or honeymoon ;)

Hope this answer has helped you.

With my Best Regards,

Julien

Hi All

I have been teaching here in Maldives earlier . The courses and facilities here are quite limited as per European standards , and more often locals preferred to send their kids to other countries for higher studies in Singapore, Malaysia, Sri Lanka & India.

Due to remote location and limited number of faculties across the state education facilities are quite challenging. However I must share to you all that courses here are getting improved year by year .

There will be limited options for expatriates to have some higher education here as the courses are quite expensive than comparing to other regions due to internal & external factors in this region.

Regards

Ranji Thomas

Hello there,
I am working here in Maldives for 2 yrs.
There is only one university, I.e. Maldives National University. You can obtain the same degree in other countries like SRI Lanka and and India where living costs is cheaper. Maldives is good for holidaying  not for abroad study.