Studying in Malaysia

Hello everyone,

Would you recommend studying abroad in Malaysia?

Every year, 4 million young people from all over the world choose to study abroad for one semester or a full academic year. Would you encourage them to come and study in Malaysia?

In your opinion, what are the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country/area? Are these free of charge? If not, are tuition fees expensive? Are there many foreign students enrolled in these schools/colleges/universities? What is the main language of instruction at the university?

Thank you in advance for sharing!
Priscilla

hi everybody..

im one of the people who encourage students to study in Malaysia for more reasons.
Malaysia have high quality Universities , like UM , UPM , USM ( public Uni )
and some Good Private Uni such as MSU , Tailor, Ucsi ..
all these Universities are providing variety of program staring from Diploma till PhD level. And with affordable tuition fees, comparing to Europe or American countries.

if you have any idea to study malaysia just guve up better you can try europe ,its my best advice

Depending on what you study I'd say.
Though it may be a good destination to study for its affordable living cost, not all courses offered in Malaysia are top-notch or well recognized compared to its neighboring countries (i.e. Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand).
For studies like, commerce, business, accounting, communication, food science, hospitality, management, visual design, and IT, Malaysia might be a prevalent choice. Good universities that are recommended for such programs are ranging from public to private universities.
I would not suggest Malaysia for courses like, engineering or medical sciences for its unprecedented increasing high cost yet unqualified outcome.

Any scholarship available for Internation student in Malaysia. can you tell me how much to spend  complete a degree?

"Would you recommend studying abroad in Malaysia?"
Yes, because the benefit of experiencing another environment and culture.

“In your opinion, what are the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country/area? Are these free of charge? If not, are tuition fees expensive? Are there many foreign students enrolled in these schools/colleges/universities? What is the main language of instruction at the university? ”

The main language of instruction at the university is English. Universities are not free of charge. Malaysian universities welcome foreign students.  Other questions are too open and relative to be answered.

Hmmmm....from my experience as international student in Malaysia for 3 years in two university UIA and HELP University, I would not recommend to study in Malaysia, due to many reasons, such as lack of good treatment for international student, and lack of understanding of the differences and the backgrounds of the international student

the university ranking aren't good in terms of international recognition

They obviously care about money more than any thing

so in my opinion, if you can go to USA or Europe just go there

Not sure how to answer this.

A few students I know continue to suffer under the horrible gradeschool system of learning by what you can memorize instead of learning by learning how to think critically. Thats bad. The assignments they get are silly and meaningless (seems to me) and they are paying a fortune to be in the schools.

Otherwise, if you are studying for the purpose of employment and not the learning itself, then you have to research the viability of a Malaysian degree on the world employment market. The question to research is "what value does the international employment community put on a malaysian university degree?" or, "will american companies hire someone with a degree from a malaysian college?" that sort of research. Find out what employers think of Malaysia who are outside the country, that will tell you a lot.

If you are studying for the purpose of gaining knowledge in a certain field, you also have to research how Malaysian education stacks up in the world market of education.

You cant believe adverts or even people locally, you have to do your own research so you dont end up wasting a lot of time and money in a system that doesnt teach you anything. But if the system is good and viable, you will find out.

If the decision is made to study here, then it will be somewhat easier to research what unis are good for what you particularly want to study. But one thing at a time.

There are branches of the good universities from countries other than Malaysia,such as Monash University from Australia and more. So take the local  living cost reasonable and get education from good universities may be a good choice.

Studying in Malaysia will be a good idea depending on the chosen course. If somebody wants to go into research in the field of Social studies then Malaysia is a very good place. UM is doing outstanding job. For professional courses universities like UCSI offer good options at affordable fee structures.
Foreign universities such as Nottingham, Monash, Taylor are all quite affordable. Studying in foreign universities in the countries they belong to is very expensive due to living costs there but Malaysia is very affordable.
Given the beautiful multicultural background of Malaysia, studying here can enrich students in so many ways. Most universities offer varied scholarship depending on SPM and Foundation equivalent level or even semesterwise performance.
Two things to keep in mind
1. Course selected( according to your aptitude)
2. Course fees
If you can work these two out you are good to go.

Hi,

Having studied here, and now working. Studying in Malaysia is okay, the education but you have to research the suitable schools for your particular course. You must be a very tolerant and patient person as in some cases lecturers cannot express themselves in English, even where it's the medium of instruction. There are some really great universities here with good reputations. That's where I would start, if employment is your main goal.

On an experiential level, there are always benefits to studying outside your home country, if you keep an open mind. You get the opportunity to explore the local culture more intimately and you start to appreciate or identify areas of improvement in your own country. Going forward, this might aid in the student make better decisions when it's their turn to be parents.

That's my 2c worth and wish you all the best.

Malaysia is a mixed bag when it comes to tertiary education. You have the public universities (which seem to be falling down the global rankings , although UM, USM, UPM are considered the better ones).
Then there are the private universities which consist of the former private colleges which have been given university status, e.g Sunway Uni, Taylors Uni, HELP etc (many of these have good programs but are profit making machines which is reflected in the quality sometimes). Finally you have the foreign universities with local campuses, e.g Monash, Nottingham, Heriot Watt, Swinbourne, Reading, etc. The latter are ran by their overseas universities and have more of the overseas uni experience but because they are expected to be self sustaining and employ many locals the local management style creeps in (the local management style is to make money and take short cuts). Therefore any person considering studying here needs to do their research, visit the uni, talk to existing students, talk to staff, etc

Moderated by Chris 7 years ago
Reason : Advertising of services is not allowed on the forum. I invite you to register in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

This is not a forum for you to advertise your business services. You may be an agent for some of the educational establishments in Malaysia but this is not the place to make a plug for those services. In fact I do not see why individuals need agency services when they have the internet and can contact the educational establishment directly.

if you are contributing answer the OP's post.
Incidentally which establishments are you an agent for?

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Advertising is not allowed on the forum.
goldencik wrote:

This is not a forum for you to advertise your business services. You may be an agent for some of the educational establishments in Malaysia but this is not the place to make a plug for those services. In fact I do not see why individuals need agency services when they have the internet and can contact the educational establishment directly.

if you are contributing answer the OP's post.
Incidentally which establishments are you an agent for?

Looks like your advice fell on deaf ears lol

Plenty of colleges tied to uk univ
Check out segi college neat Subang jaya
Or subway college
Good luck

hi admin, i shared my experience based on my capacity who works in one of the Univeristy in Malaysia and when I said some of my students worked in international companies overseas after they graduated from Malaysia,they really do.I am not bias,this is a real life experience and I have years of experience handling international students and if someone from overseas who want to study in Malaysia needs advice on the subject, i may be able to give info.my apologies if it looks like im advertising service,it was not my intention per se

ADMISSIONS INTO MALAYSIAN UNIVERSITIES

To begin studying in Malaysia, there is a range of entry requirements you may have to meet. Requirements may vary depending on the level of education you want to study.

English language requirements

Applicants are required to provide results of an English language test. The English language skill level might defer from one institution to another or depending on the desired program.

Academic requirements

Undergraduate Admission Criteria

For admission into Bachelor-level programs, Students usually must have completed secondary school. There may also be course-content requirements or grade-point average minimums. As undergraduate schools have limited space, there is competition for admission.

Graduate Admission Criteria
For admission into the Master's degree program in Malaysia, students must complete a bachelor's degree and submit the documents required by the University.

For entry into a Doctorate degree program, students must have completed their Masters. Students must have the fundamental theoretical knowledge to carry out their independent studies. In order to determine a candidate's suitability for the PhD program.

Grading System:

Malaysia has its own educational grading system. Different levels and institutions of education use a different grading scheme. Some Universities follow a weighted average pattern to calculate the percentage

The grading system might defer from one Institution to another and can be different from one country to another, thus, the GPA measure might be imprecise and the Australian educational system will assess applicants' GPA based on the educational institution and country previous studies and qualification completed.

Evidence of funds
Applicants must be aware of the financials and the cost when choosing Malaysia as their destination of study, applicants must show sufficient funds to support themselves and the family members who might accompany while in Malaysia.

Required Financial Support is estimated as:
Living costs: 5000 – 7000 USD

Course fees: 4000 – 6000 USD

Required Documents for Admissions
1.  Main applicant passport or an official translation of the birth certificate.
2. Official translation of Students' academic certificates and transcript of records.
3. Professional academic resume (Curriculum Vitae).
4. Statement of purpose (motivation letter).
5. English language certificate such as (IELTS, TOFEL)(If not holding a certificate, the student can sit for the university English language placement test).
6. Official translation of the transcript, depending on qualifications and educational levels, Diploma.
7. Two Academic references.
8.Official translation of employment letter (if applicable).
9.Research proposal outlining students' research for applicants interested in Master by research or Ph.D. programs.

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : The free promotion of services is not allowed on the forum. Please register in the business directory.