Studying in Greece

Hello everyone,

Would you recommend studying abroad in Greece?

Every year, 4 million young people from all over the world choose to study abroad for one semester or a full academic year. Would you encourage them to come and study in Greece?

In your opinion, what are the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country/area? Are these free of charge? If not, are tuition fees expensive? Are there many foreign students enrolled in these schools/colleges/universities? What is the main language of instruction at the university?

Thank you in advance for sharing!
Priscilla

Yes, studying in Greece is a good idea. I studied at the University of Indianapolis that was connected to the University of Indianapolis in the US.  Unfortunately the  Athens branch closed a few years ago.  These days one can study at New York college and Deree College,  both of which offer degrees in English. The standards are good, and as far as I know, credits are recognized by most universities abroad.  Campus life is nothing like it would be in the US or in the UK, but if you're just interested in a degree,  these are perfectly fine schools. Studying in Greece will also give you a great insight into Greek culture, since you will be studying with Greek students who have a very different approach to studying.

Hi,
I am also studying in Greece. I am studying in University of Crete. It is in around top lists of world ranking of university. Here the education is free. The computer science course is very professional, intensive, very good.

In my view the Kapodastrian University of Athens is on a par with la Sorbonne, Nice, Rouen, Bonn, Koln, Bruxelles, Oxford, Cambridge  London. Universite di la Roma, Milano, Torino etc. If one is fortunate enough to gain entry. There is a Polytechnic in Athens and a Business School which do not not have the same academic requirements.
In the provinces and islands, Ionian University in Corfu and Aegean University and on the mainland University of Ioannina and University of Thessaloniki spring to mind. The latter is on a par with the Kapodastrian in Athens.
Most of the courses are typically Greek, socially culturally based, linguistic, historical in nature. The budding archaeologist historian, archivist, museum curator, town planner/architect. linguist or scholar of language, would be in an ideal environment to develop their understanding, and perfect their craft.
Fees are a little lower generally than in other EU countries and much less than they are in United Kingdom. Bursaries are still available in Greece as anywhere else.
Best plan is to visit university websites. Some are totally in Greek, but the majority can be viewed in English, French, Spanish and German as well as of course Greek.
If you require anything else do not hestitate to ask me.

As we say here..Eginyeh..panta ta kalitera..all the best..

Sincerely
Dr Tomas Alberto Maria Levette. D.Phil
Tel 00 44 ***

Moderated by Chris 7 years ago
Reason : Please avoid sharing your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I saw on the Greek news yesterday that the universities here have informed the government that serious cut-backs in new student entries must be made from now on due to  a lack of funding being put into education.Retirement posts are not being replaced with new teachers, like the health service here things just get worse and worse.

European Union directives on funding education business under Socrates, Leonardo da Vinci, Eramus is not being applied for. Greece, [unlike UK will shortly be if the downward slope to EU exit happens] is entitled as a member of the EU to instruct her universities to apply direct to the EU, to subsiside education, rather than impose cutbacks.
But generally since Brexit decision on Euro Union exit it has become progressively worse in terms of an ability to further ones chances in the world of work. Everyone is tightening belts anticipating what is to come, a world recession like no other with falling currency values and rocketing prices.
The value of education is undermined by a shortfall in the number of genuine jobs that are available par sector.
The value and availability of money is decreasing. It is affecting every branch of every service, and it has to be noticed, the sudden increase on food prices per item, as much as 15-20% increases on necessary goods.
I am not an economic or a political writer. I hope I have provided some semblance of an answer here. I do not know if there is an answer. We are powerless against political elites in power who make daily decisions affecting us all without any warning. It will continue until there is someone or some group or organisation brave enough to attempt to change things around.

Good reply.Having just returned from UK,I had two weeks there and saw that here in Greece price-fixing on food and goods is shocking,the supermarkets have always got together and fixed and now that some have been bought out by the other big guys they can charge what they like and do,rip off here.I sent you a PM by the way Talrenoir