New members of the Singapore forum, introduce yourself here – 2017

Hi all,

Newbie on the Singapore forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Singapore if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

PD : The thread New members of the Singapore forum, introduce yourself here – 2016 continues below!

Happy [solar] New Year, everybody!

I'm Lucy Day H. and I came to Singapore from the US with my husband in 2008. I'm especially excited about Chinese New Year this year because it's going to be Rooster Year and I'm a rooster.

My favorite thing about Singapore is the fascinating language environment. I also like that it's very safe and clean. My least favorite thing is the unchanging climate.

Hi everyone!! Just joined the forum and my wife and I made the decision yesterday to solidify our plans to move to SE Asia with the goal of being employed in Singapore and serving in a regional capacity with service to Asian partners...i.e have laptop will travel!! 

My wife is from Manila, I am American with most of my time spent in Alabama, Virginia, Texas and California. I have done business and visited many Asian countries and love the culture and food. I have experience working in Korea, China, Japan, Malaysia, India, and a few other countries. We will visit Bangkok and Manila again this year to visit friends and family and to start building my business social network.

Look forward to meeting great people here. Counting backwards from May 2018. That is my drop dead date to be living overseas...job or no job I will be there.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Michael and I'm a senior citizen but am currently still working as I'm a relatively active person and do not like to sit at home.

I've worked as a real estate agent some years back helping expats to find their rental homes in Singapore. So in a small way I'm familiar with some of the properties (apartments or houses) in Singapore, especially those in Dists. 9, 10, 11 and 21.

However, I must qualify that my active working experience was some 10-12 years ago. A lot of new properties have since come into the market but basically certain things do not change that much. Examples:-

(1)    Finding the right property that is good for the family i.e. children's school, working place etc.
(2)    Letter of Intent - once you have found the right property you need to put up an offer in order to "reserve" it or else the property agent may try to use your offer to get another Tenant for the Landlord.
(3)    Tenancy Agreement - Terms & Conditions. While I'm not a lawyer trained in conveyancing laws and practice, as real estate agents we need to know some of the "ins and outs" of the Tenancy Agreement.
(4)    As a local resident I may be able to help with the furnishing for the home once you have found your right property.

Last but not least, my passion and desire to help families to settle down quickly in Singapore would be a great help to families who are new to the wonderful city state. We would like to extend a very warm and hearty welcome to all.

Kind regards,

Michael Lim.spore
4th Feb 2017

Hi everybody!

I'm Jorge Spanish teacher from Spain,after living in China and Taiwan I moved to Singapore because my girlfriend, I studied Taiji & Kung Fu and chinese medicine with my master in Taiwan,I can speak Chinese English and Spanish like the sports and the nature

I like Singapore because is leve city with a lot of vegetation, and you can meet very interesing people

Regards!

Hi
I am Ali and I want to live and work in Singapore , is there any one who can help to find job?

Hi I will be in Singapore to find a job on 27 Feb. Hope to see you there.
can you help me?

Alifarmer wrote:

Hi
I am Ali and I want to live and work in Singapore , is there any one who can help to find job?

You can read the many forum posts about the topic of finding a job in Singapore - and then follow that advice. Good luck!

Thanks very much guys.I am only 2 weeks old in Singapore from Kenya and looking forward to adjusting to life here.I am an electrical engineer and there's alot I can do here around.
Cheers all

Hi Everyone!

I'm Philip and I'm a Filipino. I am also a newbie in this forum. I came to Singapore last year to enhance my skills as a financial consultant. My wife is also working here for 4 years now.

Singapore is very good in terms of economy, law implementation, etc. So glad to be working here. Hope to also enlarge my network here. Thank you!

Philip

Hi, I'm Roxanne will move back again to Singapore this month to work for a Polytechnic University. :)

Hi, I'm Singaporean and a Chef. Anybody like food???

Hi everyone. I'm working in digital marketing field and intending to expand our business to Singapore. It'd be great if you can come up with business advice and potential cooperation.
I went to Singapore several times mainly for business trips. Hopefully I can live there as an expat soon.
Do contact me if you share same interest.

shockhahn wrote:

I'm working in digital marketing field and intending to expand our business to Singapore. It'd be great if you can come up with business advice and potential cooperation.
I went to Singapore several times mainly for business trips. Hopefully I can live there as an expat soon.

Please note that it is easy to start a business in Singapore, but very difficult to get a visa based on running that business. You should read about the requirements of EntrePass, which is the visa type you need for that.
You should also engage an experienced business incorporation service provider like Hawksford (guidemesingapore.com) or Rikvin (rikvin.com) to help you with the preparations.
Good luck!

Hi All,
I'am Gumilar, now i still wait S Pass Process

Wish me luck !

Hi everyone,
I'm was born in USA and now I'm working in Singapore.

Hi I am New, From Indonesia

Thank you

Thanks for that.

Actully I am planing to fly to Singaproe for a conference between 26-29 Apr. really wants to meet someone there to join us.  this is internation networking business , amazing. please reply me if interesting.

Hi friends,
           It's been great pleasure to join here. It's an wonderful opportunity to meet people's from different countries, cultures and environment. I would like to move to Singapore with job in my hand. I am not looking for biggie just a respectable job with some pay much suitable. I am a post graduate in the field of computer science and engineering. Previously lived and worked in Tanzania as a Assistant Lecturer in University. Hopefully will get some I think.
Once again I would like to welcome you all.

hi am a ghana now in singapore ..looking forward to meet ghanaians or nigerians

Hi everyone,

Let me introduce myself, I'm William. I come from Indonesia and
I'm looking forward for looking any new friends here. I also would like to live and work in Singapore, is there anyone who can help to find the job ?

Thank you in advance,
William

hi all, i am new here, searching for job in singapore. i have 10+ yrs exp in it industry. looking for opening as business analyst, i have java and j2ee background.please please help me .currently i hold dependant visa from s pass, my husband holds s pass. your help is really appreciated

Did you already read the advice for finding jobs in Singapore that has been given on the many threads on the topic in this forum?

Hi beppi,
Thanks for your advice, I have just searched across job topic in this site and find some useful links regarding it.
I'll try to read it further to enhance my knowledge regarding finding job in singapore.

However, do you think it's still possible for foreigner to apply IT job in Singapore considering the quota that is being given to foreigner to apply job in Singapore ?

WSetiono wrote:

However, do you think it's still possible for foreigner to apply IT job in Singapore considering the quota that is being given to foreigner to apply job in Singapore ?

Like in most countries, the Singapore authorities will prevent foreigners from taking jobs that locals could do instead. But there is no quota, so you can freely apply for any job you like.

Hi beppi,
Thank you for your answer. May I know what type of strategy will have the biggest probabilities to get hired?
Applying from hr recruitment or from direct employer?
Thanks in advance for your kind attention

Hi beppi,
Thank you for your answer. May I know what type of strategy will have the biggest probabilities to get hired.
Applying from hr recruitment or from direct employer?
Also do you think IT field is the one of the most demanding job in Singapore or is there any field in IT that was the most demanding in there ?

Thanks in advance for your kind attention :)

I have no idea about IT in Singapore - not my field.
But in general connections are the best strategy (as in most places), followed by replying to suitable ads. Cold calls aren't usually successfull, unless you have connections, and agents are of limited help too.

I am an mobile app developer.I am glad to join this forum. :)

Hi I'm Chaddy. Am currently working in Saudi Arabia but also searching for a job online that will suit my qualifications and interests as a Civil Engineer or any related position. I tried visiting the country also last April 27- May 08 but never had the chance to find a job since i am still employed in the company i am working with in Saudi Arabia. I hope to move in Singapore so i could have growth on my career and as an individual. Also, because i found the country so nice and peaceful to live in. Thank you.

Hi Ken,, ni Kevin from Nairobi. could you pls contact me via email xxx or WhatsApp at xxx. Thanks

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : Please avoid sharing your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi all!

I am new to this, but have had the desire to work overseas, particularly in Singapore, for quite some time and finding it difficult getting started on how to make this a reality.

I'm a marketing professional working in the catering/food/hospitality industry located in Australia and am seeking to further develop my skills and experience at an international level.

If anyone has any tips or tricks on how I can get started, please feel free to let me know!

Many thanks
Thao

I don't have first-hand knowledge, but heard that F&B in Simgapore is very competitive and profit margins are low.
In any case, for marketing you need to speak the local languages - at least Chinese, but more are better.

Hi I am New, From Indonesia

Hi all!

I'm Ashlee and from Malaysia! I just moved here a few months ago but am still trying to get adjusted! Would love to hear any recommendations on what neighborhoods are great places to stay!

Hello Everyone,

I am Ryan from Indonesia. I am looking for job in Singapore. Role as a Business Development Manager.

Currently i am still working in Indonesia, but i hope i can move to Singapore soon. Because that is on of my dream.

I would be appreciated if you have any information related job vacancy in Singapore.

Thanks and have a good day all. =)

You should read our forum threads, many time we have given details on how to search jobs in Singapore and other informations.

You may check local job portals such as JobsDB.com.sg or JobStreet.com.sg or recruits.net etc

Hello!

We currently live in South Africa and we are thinking of moving to Singapore.  My husband visited Singapore recently and were very impressed with the country.  It is quite daunting though as I do not know what to expect.  I actually would like to chat to someone with kids, from South Africa who moved there recently.  I have so many questions - don't know where to start.  It is a huge step for us as a family.  Where would we stay?  Which are the best schools to look at?  What are the best kind of accommodation to consider.  Which is the best neighbourhood - quite and tranquil yet close enough to schools and work for my husband?  Are there anything familiar (South African) in Singapore.  Are there other Afrikaans speaking people living there? 

I would really appreciate if I can find someone on this chat to have a one-on-one conversation with?!

Hi everybody, I'm Trí from Viet Nam :)

Closed