New members of the Cyprus forum, introduce yourself here – 2017

Hi I am based in South Africa and have been fortunate to have lived an worked abroad previously. I am very interested to find work in Cyprus with a view on making this permanent. My wife and son live in South Africa and while my son is completing his studies they will probably continue to stay there at least for the a while to come. My back ground is b2b sales including financial services, Sports Hospitality and Technology. I am prepared to venture in new fields and have a keen interested and understanding or forex and Cryptocurrencies and would love to secure and sales / marketing position in one of these sectors. Any suggestions, advice or ideas would be massively appreciated. Thanks and have a super day further.

Hello,
I work in the financial field too, Forex trading to be precise. I can give you some insights if you need them. In the other hand, since you know about marketing, you can work as an affiliate for the forex industry. In the firm I work, for instance, we have a Hybrid CPA/IB program, where after you get pay the CPA amount, the client will continue generating commissions to you.

If this is relevant to you, just let me know.

I may certainly be interested as I have access to quite a large list of traders, private individuals. let me know how we can open up some form of communication.
Thanks for the reply.
Regards
Mark

You can find me on **
so we can talk about it.

Moderated by Christine 6 years ago
Reason : please share your contact via your private message system. Thank you.

Hi Jesus, Thanks for the reply. I have just connected to you on Linkedin and also sent you a message on Skype too.
Thanks again and kind regards
Mark

Hello I am considering moving to Cyprus and needs information. I am in the United States and I don't know what kind of visas are offered there for long-term living. Is it difficult to get a visa to stay longer than 90 days? Which city would be the best to live if you want to live on the coast near the beach for a single person where it's safe to retire possibly.? My other friend will be joining me so they'll be two females and so it's important to be in a safe area and we will want to be able to fly to Israel at times. Also we only know English and I understand that's a problem there is you need to learn Greek. Any information that you can provide would help us thank you we are thinking about moving over in the spring of 2018

Paphos i think may well be the area for you do you need to work ? it fulfills many of the requirements you have stated

Much depends in nationality and work requirements for visas  - as long as you can prove you can support yourself without being a burden on the state it should'nt be a  big problem check out the visa requirements here http://www.cyprusvisa.eu/cyprus-residen … ments.html

You will need to prove adequate healthcare cover

Language isnt a massive barrier here we are British and have no issues in the Paphos region, we live near Coral Bay in a large village called Pegeia and its very safe good beaches to choose from. lots of cafes restaurants bars to choose from and within easy reach of Paphos Int Airport.  Further inland then maybe language issues may arise.

Hi all,

Although new, I have been an avid lurker of this forum and it's humbling to see so many expats here willing to lend a helping hand. :-)

My girlfriend and I are really keen on moving over to Paphos from dreary London this year and we'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could help answer some of our questions:

1. Would it be possible for us to pursue a yellow slip during a 3-month stay?

As living abroad is very new to us, our plan is to come over for a few months to get a "feel" for everything without a long-term commitment. If we were able to satisfy the immigration department and obtain a yellow slip each, then the plan would be to return to the UK and shut down business HMRC stuff (we make our living online), inform necessary people/companies of our new plans (student loan company, grr!), and fly back out to Cyprus later in the year.

2. In your experience, how long typically does it take to get the keys to an apartment?

This question is in regards to long-term rentals. Another option for us is to come over for 6 months opposed to 3 months if there were enough letting agents offering this.

3. Without a car, what areas would you say are best to stick to/avoid as a new arrival?

4. Aside from rent, what monthly bills would we be responsible for (rubbish collection, council tax, etc.)?

I apologise in advance for the wall of text and/or if any of my questions are not suited for this part of the forum.

Have a smashing day!
–Dan

you dont need to pursue a yellow slip whilst here for three months many people come here for 3-6 months of the year but they dont live here permanently so they havent got their yellow slips - try it enjoy it see if it works for you.

to get a yellow slip you will need to prove healthcare cover (an ehic will not suffice for this - although it will for a temporary stay of upto 90 days but only for emergency treatment whilst here as a tourist visitor otehr things you will need to pay for -   but not for a permanent resident ie a holder of the yellow slip) You will also need to prove an income sufficient to prove that you will not be a burden on the republic of Cyprus

Long term lets are usually  6 months or more and there are lots of properties available especially this time of year but it does get harder the closer you get to late spring and the summer season but keys are usually available immediately

the bus service is ok but  not ideal - many outlying areas you will need a car but kato paphos, pano paphos, tomb of the kings and universal in the paphos area would i think be ideal for you as within easy reach of centre

bills depend on property deal you rent, some properties (ie complexes) will include communal fees, rubbish taxes and water so that would simply leave electric and internet access - obviously food and drink transportation costs etc would be borne by you
there are no agent fees here the landlords pay them - - but you will need one months rent and a months rent as a deposit to start with

Remember too that as a tourist here you are not legally allowed to work - If you do work even online you will be required to register for tax here.... despite being and working online you are physically doing that work here so it obliges you to register for tax.... even if you dont earn enough to pay tax - a legal requirement - if you decide to stay long term and work - then you can opt for the dual taxation treaty that exists between uk and cyprus and you can benefit from a tax free income allowance of €19500 per yr per person.....

Toon wrote:

you dont need to pursue a yellow slip whilst here for three months many people come here for 3-6 months of the year but they dont live here permanently so they havent got their yellow slips - try it enjoy it see if it works for you.

to get a yellow slip you will need to prove healthcare cover (an ehic will not suffice for this - although it will for a temporary stay of upto 90 days but only for emergency treatment whilst here as a tourist visitor otehr things you will need to pay for -   but not for a permanent resident ie a holder of the yellow slip) You will also need to prove an income sufficient to prove that you will not be a burden on the republic of Cyprus

Long term lets are usually  6 months or more and there are lots of properties available especially this time of year but it does get harder the closer you get to late spring and the summer season but keys are usually available immediately

the bus service is ok but  not ideal - many outlying areas you will need a car but kato paphos, pano paphos, tomb of the kings and universal in the paphos area would i think be ideal for you as within easy reach of centre

bills depend on property deal you rent, some properties (ie complexes) will include communal fees, rubbish taxes and water so that would simply leave electric and internet access - obviously food and drink transportation costs etc would be borne by you
there are no agent fees here the landlords pay them - - but you will need one months rent and a months rent as a deposit to start with

Thank you ever so much, Toon! Your replies have really helped shed more light on the situation and what we can expect upon arrival. Really helpful – cheers, my friend.

With regards to the yellow slip:

So, if we come over for a few months we don't need the yellow slip. But if we decide to return to Cyprus permanently later this year, would our previous visit count towards that 3-6 month threshold?

Or would it restart?

Thanks once again for your help – really appreciate it!
–Dan

P.S. If you know any places/websites that offer short-term lets, that would be great (the main websites are SO expensive).

No it would restart afresh

the point at which you are obliged to apply for the ARC Alien Registration Certificate (yellow slip) is at 3 months continuous residency.

personally you wont find better than the facebook pages for rentals in the areas you are interested in  - in Paphos Larnaca Limassol etc etc .  .TBH you dont really get much if any more benefit from using an agency  = when we lived in Malta for 6 yrs and had 4 properties the last three were done privately away from agents ( for different reasons than here though) and similarly here in Cyprus now for the last 4 yrs we are on our 4th property where two were done through an agent but two were done privately via facebook.... including the one we are in now for the next 5 yrs

depending on when you are coming over i would look at getting a deal in one of the  smaller holiday apartment complexes or holiday let hotels....

if you search on facebook for example on "rentals in paphos"  "rent or buy in paphos" you will see loads

most rentals are negotiable but you can this time of years get some good cheap deals for say a hotel room or even a small apartment for 2-3months....

when you are over i would use that time to research what you need to know  / find out - live as a local would and get out of holiday mode asap - (thats not to say you shouldnt have a short holiday mode period but to get the real feel of living here dont do that for more than say 2 weeks).......and for certain do as you would do at home do the weekly shop watch the tv or read - just do the normal everyday  living things you normally would do/ good luck

I would initially suggest a visit to cyprus and do some discovery trips to the areas that may be of interest to you

Internet is mostly all over the island

not sure about the eco tourism things as animals here are not well treated = need to know more

Toon, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to answer my questions.

I've joined a number of facebook property groups and I'll now just ask around and hopefully have something booked within the next couple of weeks.

You're completely right with regards to sticking to our usual home routines, etc. We don't want to treat this as a glorified holiday, rather an assessment to see whether we can live in Cyprus long-term.

All your advice is taken onboard. If we ever cross paths one day, I owe you a pint.

Cheers,
–Dan

again as with Dan_91 i would start looking at the facebook pages for rentals in paphos or larnaca or limassol districts - - search fro rentals in "XXXXXXXX" where x is the area  of interest

Thank you so much for your information. My friend will be there in February to look at rentals. And I see them on Facebook and so forth but could you tell me approximately what you think utilities would run a month there perhaps for two people small house? Electricity gas water? Cable? And what kind of telephone service is there I guess you used cell phones do they have Towers like they do in Israel and other countries? And about how much a month are there services? Thank you for any information like that you can send as well as what cars rent for on a monthly basis. Susan

Electricity is expensive here and  will vary depending on season house style, form of heating cooling and usages of AC etc but id say an average of around €100-€130 per 2 months as that is the billing cycle for electricity supply

Water again may be free for some in complexes as many properties have this built into the rent - but if it isnt then you can probably estimate usage to be about €30 per three months as thats the billing cycle for water supply, but if you have your own pool with a pool pump running both elec and water will increase proportionately depending on whether its running 1hr 4hrs or 6 hrs per day

remember in complexes with pools and gardens the rent may also include the refuse tax of about €135 a yr and communal fees for pool and garden maintenance - if not on a complex then these may be chargeable to you as a tenant

Gas is all bottled here (and sells for about €11-12 per 10kg bottle and again is dependant on whether you have gas cooking many dont have gas cooking facilities preferrign electric as its easier despite being more expensive t run - bt for cokking alone a 10kg bottle would probably last 6-9months easily.. gas heaters for winter is the usual option for heating and based in the last 4 winters which are not really that bad in my opinion   we have used a minimim of 5 bottles with a maximum of 10 bottles over winter from about end of november to about mid march   

Cable tv, internet & telephony packages are available and vary according to supplier speeds and your own requirements

check out Cyta  - Primetel - Fusion - the main landline based suppliers
and
check out Netcom. City Cell Cellnet and Bluenet for dish based internet suppliers

be aware though that it all depends in your needs and internet here is not cheap -we do not use a local tv or phone landline service -  we have internet  from Cyta at €5 per month for 20mbps, this suffices for all our communication needs via skype whatsapp, etc  we use a paid sibscrioptionot a tiptv supplier (not on cyprus and these can vary between €8 and €20 per month but services vary) local sourced mobile PAYG phones that are very cheap to run - a new simcard will cost €7.50 with a free € 5 credit - mobiles are expensive to buy though  - coverage is fine for mobile usage and there are free wifi hotspots all over the major centres bars cafes and restaurants usually have free wif

as for car hire  it can be expensive  = it all depends on car etc  = but we know you can get hire cars for as a little as €10-15 per day  - it is seasonal so expect increases in holiday season

Thank you so much that was very helpful and very affordable I think compared to the United States. My friend K will be visiting in February and I may have her get in touch with you if that's okay. She will be checking out apartments for us for 3 months in hopes of being able to stay longer blessings and I look forward to hopefully meeting you in the future Susan

we met some new friends last night who have just moved here from USA and they say its very affordable.

Oh great. Would you ask them if I can write to them?

i will hopefully be seeing them again at the weekend so will ask

ok i have seen my friends i will PM you ok

Hi my name is John just a newbie on the forum me and my wife are moving over to paphos in 6 weeks from UK we are retired so we are looking for long-term rental just to sèe how we will settled in to our new life in the sun kind regards John.

Welcome & good luck John there are plenty of long term rentals available  this time of year at very reasonable prices.

Thanks very much toon for your feed back the information you put on this forum is fantastic keep up the good work kind regards John.

You'ee most welcome  glad to hear you find it useful....

Thank you.  I am planning to come at the at end of March and rent somewhere in Paphos.  I have printed off all you tips - so very helpful.  Thank you

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=751300

Thanks!

Closed