New members of the Cyprus forum, introduce yourself here – 2017

Hi all,

Newbie on the Cyprus forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Cyprus if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

PD : The thread New members of the Cyprus forum, introduce yourself here – 2016 continues below!

I hope to relocate to Cyprus by mid-June 2017.

Hello,
I am from Nepal, and I want to pursue my bachelor degree in cyprus in summer 2017.
So, i need the information about life style of student in cyprus, friendly zone and other related information.
Thank You

Good luck  please just ask away here and we will try and help guide you

welcome

Hi all,

Looking to move to Cyprus next year  (2018) - though after Brexit etc.. may delay a little longer to see what the situation will be like for UK residents in the EU :(

Look forward to hearing from others that are already there or are thinking about moving over.

I've lived in Cyprus before (10 years ago) both in the North and South and have worked in Nicosia for a couple of years. Although previously have been frustrated with the bureaucracy, now being older, wiser and more patient - I can deal with it now I think  :)

Cheers

i dont think any brits or commonwealth nationals have anything to worry about but as you say everyone is different.. and it my well be best for you to do as you suggest

the British High Commission here and in Malta have said nothing will change at all until, UK is formally out of EU and that could be in 2yrs or 10 yrs  = who knows -  my gut feeling is not much will change if anything at all as UK malta and indeed cyprus are all commonwealth countries and i doubt very much that those base rules can or will change ..... think about it UK had and still have reciprocal agreements for their nationals long before accession to the EU..

Anyway good luck and take care  - best wishes with your plans to move to this beautiful country and people - BTW weve been here for nearly three years now having spent almost 7 years in Malta  prior to arriiving here..... no regrets

Hi Everyone
I'm coming over to Cyprus 1 May 2017, it will be the first time I've visited and will be staying in Protaras. I'm so excited :)

Hi,am Kenyan lady,polite hardworking and honest, am an experienced house keeper/nanny and first aider ,thank you for welcoming me

Hi everyone im from kent UK but staying in Peyia love the place so much despite the hills!! I'm looking to rent longterm so any advice would be great or if you know of anywhere l can rent 2 bed with communal pool. Preferably town house

budget

Hi , I'm Terri and I moved to Oroklini 6 weeks ago from the uk . Looking to make friends for social activities in and around the area . I enjoy fitness , food (too much ) drinking , leisure , dog walking and to be honest I'm happy to look at new hobbies and adventures while I'm here .
I have a dog who I walk every day and would like to find walking groups that are dog friendly .

"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure."

Hi all, I come from the Silicon Valley of Central Europe... Brno! Moved to Limassol for work in FX in May 2017, so Im quite a newbie. Mainly I'm looking here for fellow travelling addicts. If you want to go for a trip anywhere in Cyprus, let me know. I have a rental car (called basilisk) here, so we can travel faster ;) Looking forward to our adventures!

Best regards
Rado

My wife and I both retired at the end of March last year (making the first day in retirement April Fools Day - I hope tat is not an omen!) and now hope to relocate from Western Australia to the north of Pafos (Peyia area?) at the end of March 2018. We visited Cyprus for 2 weeks in June last year, staying in Limassol (Germasogeia) with day trips to Pafos and Troodos. After considering a number of other places to settle in our retirement, we have decided to try for a long stay visa for Cyprus to test the waters for 12 months and depending on how we settle in, pursuing permanent residency. While living in Cyprus, we want to take advantage of bargain airfares to explore other places in Europe we have only read about - Budapest, Prague, Amsterdam, anywhere in Germany. I also have a sister living in Skiathos so would like to visit her without the 20 hour journey from Perth.

First step is to apply for the visa which we will do as a priority, then sell our house and arrange a long term rent. Any hints on any of these steps would be appreciated. Hope to meet some of you in mid 2018.

Peyia region of paphos is very nice and the reason we live here.

This may help you  - - http://www.cyprusvisa.eu/cyprus-residen … ments.html

Thanks Toon. I have seen that and have based my assumption that we qualify, but was worried that the income requirements were sill quoted in Cyprus Pounds (?) rather than Euros. Have the numbers changed?

calculate the cypriot pounds at a multiplication factor of 1.70 to get to euros and as far as i am aware they havent changed

the important thing to remember is that as long as you have suffiicent to support yourselves without being a burden on the republic then you are good to go - healthcare is important too you will need to have comprehensive healthcare cover in place too

Hello Guys, I am Misel And i am going to study in Cyprus :)
I heard it has beautiful weather. I am excited and also excited about discovering new things around cyprus.
I want to know about business opportunities in Cyprus or employment opportunities. Thank you.

Does being in North Cyprus count?
Been here for almost four years, been one hell of a ride.

do you mean the illegally occupied area of cyprus

We are planning a move for next summer . I was wondering if the doctors there can prescribe my natural thyroid medication or if it's available in Cyprus . Also if there are any financial benefits for expats.

I am currently working in Iraq as a PSC. My wife and kids are still living in Centurion, South Africa. We are planning on relocating to Cyprus (hopefully as soon as 2018) as we feel that we would like to raise our kids in a safer environment. We chose Cyprus as it offers a reasonably affordable lifestyle. A large percentage of the population can speak or understand English and the availability of Internationally recognized education. We are currently investigating the options with regards to residence / immigration permits. Unfortunately information on the web is sometimes contradictory. It has been impossible to get any assistance from the High Commission of Cyprus in Pretoria or via web communication with the Ministry of Interior in Cyprus. The service of the High Commission in SA has been atrocious to say the least. Just securing a meeting to see a representative to get accurate information has proven impossible. Our long term plan would obviously be to get permanent residence in order to get a legal right to work. My wife is in HR. Kids ages 5 and 8. Hoping to network with someone that has been through the challenges that still awaits us.

Marakiy wrote:

We are planning a move for next summer . I was wondering if the doctors there can prescribe my natural thyroid medication or if it's available in Cyprus . Also if there are any financial benefits for expats.

Best to contact the health dept here direct to establish whether medications you need are available here

Financial benefits are a low tax rate and €19500 per year tax free allowances per person...

Pensions etc - best to speak to a professional Independent Financial Adviser re QROPs etc as there may be financial benefits
= but please be sure they are fully accredited here as many arent -= many are freelance and not fully qualified to an acceptable level  (ie to minimum diploma 4 level)  I can highly recommend

Tax professional - Elizabeth Welsh in Paphos
IFA =  Nick Cairns at Blevin Franks also in Paphos

i know and have used both of these - very professional and worth their weight in gold

gerrie.pretorius wrote:

I am currently working in Iraq as a PSC. My wife and kids are still living in Centurion, South Africa. We are planning on relocating to Cyprus (hopefully as soon as 2018) as we feel that we would like to raise our kids in a safer environment. We chose Cyprus as it offers a reasonably affordable lifestyle. A large percentage of the population can speak or understand English and the availability of Internationally recognized education. We are currently investigating the options with regards to residence / immigration permits. Unfortunately information on the web is sometimes contradictory. It has been impossible to get any assistance from the High Commission of Cyprus in Pretoria or via web communication with the Ministry of Interior in Cyprus. The service of the High Commission in SA has been atrocious to say the least. Just securing a meeting to see a representative to get accurate information has proven impossible. Our long term plan would obviously be to get permanent residence in order to get a legal right to work. My wife is in HR. Kids ages 5 and 8. Hoping to network with someone that has been through the challenges that still awaits us.

you do not say what Nationality you are ?
Believe me it makes a difference as its not easy to get residency and work here as a TCN assuming you are TCN - good luck

Where can I find latest and accurate information on Category F Visa requirements?

Toon wrote:
gerrie.pretorius wrote:

you do not day what Nationality you are ?
Believe me it makes a difference as its not easy to get residency and work here as a TCN assuming you are TCN - good luck

I am South African. I will remain working in middle East while my wife and kids will be staying in Cyprus.

am i to assume your family are all south african too.?

as far as i am aware this is still the current situation for visa etc  requrements

http://www.cyprusvisa.eu/cyprus-residen … ments.html

Multiply the cypriot pounds values by 1.7 to get to euro equivalents

LOL, its still North Cyprus.

Hi folks,
for years my wife and I have planned to move to Cyprus from UK when I retire. That has become possible early due to ill health retirement but I would like to find out more about medication in Cyprus.
I have been diagnosed with MS so medical insurance is a non starter for me and I will be well under state retirement age.
Does anyone on here either suffer from MS or know of an ex-pat who does as I would like to ask specific questions re ongoing prescribed medication?
Hopefully I can find the answers I need here....
Many thanks

have you explored getting your S1 enetitlement early through the ill health route

Thank you for your email dated 11/9/2017 enquiring about S1 healthcare cover in Cyprus.

In order to be eligible for this form, either yourself or your wife must meet one of the following criteria:

•           If you are in receipt of a UK State Pension, Employment and Support Allowance or Industrial Death Benefit you should contact the Overseas Healthcare Team (OHT) on 0191 218 1999.
•           If you are in receipt of any other UK benefits you should contact your benefit provider.
•           If you are working abroad for a UK employer you should contact Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (HMRC) on 03000 555 734.

If you do not meet any of the above criteria you will no longer be covered by the UK for healthcare. In this case, we would advise joining the healthcare system of the country you now permanently reside in until your circumstances change, such as receiving your UK state pension.

For further information you may wish to visit www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/healthcareabroad or if you require more information regarding this e-mail, please contact our Overseas Healthcare Team on (+44) 0191 2181999 and pressing Option 1. Our Contact Centre provides a service from 8am-5pm (UK time) between Monday and Friday.

Important: For security reasons DWP cannot discuss personal information with you over email. DWP will never ask you to send any usernames, passwords, personal, health/medical or bank account information via email and we will not process such information if you do send it – it will be deleted.

Kind regards,
JE Donkin

i d say ask your questions to the relevant healthcare dept here in cyprus to establish what meds are available for you..

https://www.moh.gov.cy/MOH/moh.nsf/medp … enDocument

the reason i say try and get the s1 via the ill health route is I know someone here who got it for himself as the perosn in ill health (a heart issue) and his wife was also covered by it - neither are even close to UK retirement age

Thanks for the advice re the S1 form.
I'll contact the Overseas Healthcare Team at DWP for more advice.

Hi Julien and everyone,
I am going to spend March and April 2018 in Larnaca on sabbatical with UCLAN. I plan to get a 1/2 bed apartment around St. Lazarus's. Expect my wife, kids and friends to visit at times. Looking forward to visiting the Holy Land. Appreciate any advice or contact!
Kindest regards,
Chris.
Galway, Ireland.

Hi Chris that sounds fantastic... also from Ireland, Tralee.
When you get an apartment can you share your experience about apartments, prices, areas etc? As we plan to go to Cyprus around summer to work.
That would be fantastic!!

xx Christine

Hi Christine, Will do. I am beginning to check apartments and prices now. Seems to be plenty of availability and range of facilities. I was there last month and I like the look of the Mackensie area. I will keep you in the loop for sure. Best, Chris.

Is Larnaca a nice place, lively? For the Irish eyes ;-) Can't wait to get more info  :top:

Hi ,  i'm in Cyprus since April  working as musician  in a project called Bandaoke   with another guy . We work in Hotel of Agia Napa , Limassol , Larnaka etc.
I.m half Greek , half Argentinian we are currently living in Larnaka . Thanks .

Hello, if you need any help about relocating to Cyprus it will be my pleasure to help you, I know not how to move around Cyprus, even after almost 4 years here, but I bet that spending hours next to you will be such a beautiful moment.

I am here to assist you :-)

Closed