New members of the Belize forum, introduce yourself here – 2017

I have lived overseas for 31 years as a teacher.  I was in Germany 18 years before moving to Japan where I have lived for 13 years.  I am planning on retiring summer of 2019 and am beginning to look at my options.  Belize sounds like paradise and that is what I am looking for, but I want to be safe.  I am single and on the more mature side.

Hi Christine,
  I too am new to the site, and am considering moving to Belize.  Moon's "living abroad in  Belize" was a good book, and I really like "Easy Belize" (revised & expanded version), by Lan Sluder , lots of very helpful information. I think it was worth the US $30.00 or so. Lan pretty much tells it like it is. (no sugar coating) Now i have to get my boot on the ground and explore it myself and see if i can make it there. :)

Welcome to you both! As BillDoesBelize says, it's sandals in the sand here instead of boots on the ground 😂. You will find a variety of opinions here on whether or not Belize is safe or paradise! Those of us who love it love it in spite of all its faults. Others have plenty negative to say about it. Explore the forum using the search function and then ask away. Then spend a little time exploring and living on Belize time before investing any big money to see if it's paradise (or no dice😂) for you!

As for me, I love it. It's gorgeous, a nature lover's paradise, with a mellow, gentle culture. The faults? Trash and a corrupt government, but perhaps the phrase corrupt government is redundant.

Hi good morning all.  I'd like to introduce Isabelle and myself, Bjarne Nielsen ( pronounced: bee-yawn-ah, or just call me B :))
Both isabelle and I have visited Belize a number of times, were very exited to make it official that we're going to make this next visit an actual move. :))
We're leaving from Ontario Canada today this 1st of October 2017 and will be arriving (as long as there aren't any challenges, fingers crossed) into Belize on the 10th of October.
We're taking our time somewhat, as we're hoping to enjoy the ride.  It's a trio driving from Ontario down to Belize.  Zeus, our husky/boxer (or busky as we call him lol) and We, are all packed and ready to move.
I'm officially retired from 20 years of Service, and IM DONE WITH WINTERS! Lol
My best friend and I bought property close to Spanish lookout after a few years of vacationing there.  We fell in love more and more with the culture and the simplicity living there offers.  I'm all for hard work and leaning back towards a more minimalist lifestyle.

Isabelle and I spent the past year and a bit doing renovations on our summer home up here.  Off grid and very cozy, it was like work up training for what's yet to come.

Our little cabana should be arriving the first week of November sometime...which gives me a few weeks to dig in a septic system, plan and set our water reservoirs, and to prep for our homes arrival.

I think what I'm looking for help with is locating a good spot to buy a utility trailer 6x10 at least. And if there's anyone out near Spanish lookout or belmopan that is trustworthy for renting or purchasing larger equipment like a backhoe or tractor.  I'd love to find a Kubota with an excavator and front loader. :)) Lol

My wife is a fantastic yoga instructor and has also passed the Canadian translation exam for French -English, so if you need assistance with that...by all means give us a shout.
I'm experienced with plumbing, framing, moderate solar installation, and general construction (decks, sheds etc). More of a hobby now tho.
It's our dream ( my wife Isabelle, my best pal John and his wife Terri) to hopefully build a vacation spot for retired/injured/and serving veterans. We would also like to entertain all walks of life by reintroducing the basics of human survival. Gardening, construction and efficiently running your home, practicing yoga, mindfulness, some healthy cooking and of course: education on how to build  and improve mental health.

You can read about my challenging challenges along this path I'm on by Google'ing my name Sgt B Nielsen.

My wife Isabelle, our puppy Zeus and I are all ready and very excited for this next chapter in this life of B and Belle.  We hope to contribute and earn our place amongst our new neighbors and friends of Belize :))

Wishing you all a great day. B well and mindful, life is abundant. Stay hydrated and rested, so you can work AND play hard. :)) ;)

All the best.

B and Belle

Where in Belize wi you be? Where did you order your home from? Sounds all so exciting!

Congrats B & Belle. I'd like to hear more about your trip down as we are working through those logistics when we move with our dog next summer.

B andBelle;
Welcome to the Belize Forum and soon to Belize. We too moved moved from Ontario three years ago and found Belize to be everything we had hoped for. I do from time to time shake my head and with an inside voice ask "why?" while with my outside voice say, "it is what it is" and move on.

To find a utility trailor or backhoe in Belize I would suggest to start by posting some ads in our classified section found under the "Handy Tools" tab at the top of the page. Also you will find many online groups for the purpose of Buying, Selling, and Trading.

I agree life is abundant, and believe that "we become what we think" whether that be good or bad. Life in Belize has made us realize that abundance is not measured in dollar$ or by all of the shiney objects that we can accumulate. We now live on what we need rather than what we want , and as a result enjoy a less stressful and healthier lifestyle. As the Jerry Jeff Walker song Down in Belize says; "successful men get what they want, happy men want just what they got".

Anyway, good luck with your journey. Not sure where you will be in Spanish Lookout area, but we are in Bullet Tree between SL and San Ignacio. If you need any assisstance when you get here please reach out here on the Forum or in a private message, it would be my pleasure to help any way I can.

Hi there is a plant hire yard, in Belmopan opposite West star garage. Also one on the way to San Ignatio at the bottom of the road to Mountain pine Ridge. Both hire plant with Drivers.
One of the mountain pine ridge Guys has just been doing work for a neighbor and doing a really good clean job. There is also an auction room close to Spanish lookout that often has good equipment for sale, I think they also rent smaller pieces of equipment. Hope this of some help.
I always need the driver in the mix, I would probably be a liability to all if behind the wheel of anything bigger than our pickup.

New Member, Hi from Ron from Idaho.
Bought property in Belize and we are in the design process of building a new home on the coast in the south-central part of Belize. Plan on spending a lot of time in Belize.
We hope to learn a lot from all you folks on this forum about life in Belize.

Welcome to the Belize Forum R Kirkemo. Let us know how we can help.

Good luck with your building experience. I Would love to see you post about your progess. Tips & tricks you learned and advice for the benefit of others.

Greetings everyone
Friends and associates just call me Doc.
I hope to meet some of you in person when I visit and perhaps relocate to Belize.  I am still looking for the best place to live, having visited several different countries.  Ideally I'd like to meet people who love to hike, enjoy vegan/vegetarian and local cuisines, plus exercise (eg. stretch, jog, walk, snorkel, swim, yoga, etc).  By profession I am a Natoropathic Doctor (ND) and gourmet chef (just published a cookbook).
Presently I am in semi-retirement as I search central America for that perfect spot to call home (for a while at least).  I have high hopes for Belize and I welcome advice, tips, and all useful, helpful information.  I have been a member of expat-blog for a few years, and I have already chatted with a few of you on the Belize forum, so this is just a late in the game self-introduction.  :cool:

p.s.

Welcome! I think I'd look at Cayo if I were vegetarian. Of course there are options everywhere, and there's always rice and beans, but if you're strict (like no lard), I think you'll find more people on that wavelength up that way. Placencia may also be an option, but it's a little more of a party vibe if you ask me. Of course Gomier is vegan, and he's been in pg forever. He taught me to make tofu about a million years ago (ok, maybe 21). He's a gem of a human. For sure check out his restaurant even if you don't land in pg.

Thanks Monkey Town Brew for the very helpful info!

You're welcome.

Do the answers to other people's questions appear below there question?  I'm not seeing any responses to questions.

MichelleandKaren wrote:

Do the answers to other people's questions appear below there question?  I'm not seeing any responses to questions.

Answers to questions are shown at the bottom of the thread at the time they were posted, That is why I recommend that people use the "quote" feature as I have done here when responding. It give relevance to responses when future members are reading them.

If you have questions that you cannot find answers to, just start a new thread and we will do our best to provide answers or links for you.

Hello to all!  My husband and I are planning an early retirement so that we can enjoy life before it's too late.  He is from Wisconsin and I am from Pennsylvania, currently living in Kentucky.  We have both had our fill of cold weather!  We have been actively searching the internet for the best place to retire and have come to the conclusion that Belize has just about everything we want/need.  We have 4 dogs and 2 cats, ranging in age from 9 years down to 4 years old so they will all be coming with us.  We are thinking of getting a motor home and driving down so that we don't have to worry about transport for all of our fur-babies.  We would appreciate any and all suggestions/recommendations on what it takes to move to Belize.  I am thinking either Corozol or Placencia.  We plan to retire in Feb/March of 2019.  Thank you in advance!

RennaeK,

My wife and I bought a place in Placencia at the beginning of the year.  We plan to retire there (maybe 2020?)  My wife travels down more frequently than I do.  She is retired and I still work.  We fell in love with Placencia the first time we visited.  There is a substantial number of expats (mostly American and Canadians) that either live there or own places.  Placencia also has a very active Humane Society there.  We have looked into the QRP program but are not at the point where we think it is beneficial for us now.

Rex61

Rex61 wrote:

RennaeK,

My wife and I bought a place in Placencia at the beginning of the year.  We plan to retire there (maybe 2020?)  My wife travels down more frequently than I do.  She is retired and I still work.  We fell in love with Placencia the first time we visited.  There is a substantial number of expats (mostly American and Canadians) that either live there or own places.  Placencia also has a very active Humane Society there.  We have looked into the QRP program but are not at the point where we think it is beneficial for us now.

Rex61

Hello neighbor!
My wife and I have a home in Placencia Village. We just came down for the third time this year and will be here this trip, until sometime in March 2018. If you and/or your wife are here at the same time, we would like to meetup.

Our current projects are repainting the house, replacing the windows with something more modern and getting Smart broadband internet installed.

Where on the peninsula is your place?

Hi,

We are a family of four and came to Belize 4 months ago to Belize City.

We were also in Cayo and like Spanish Lookout area. We are vegan and my wife and kids are fruitarian. So, living here in Belize is expensive. We are trying to get our PRs

Hi,

It is very difficult to survive in this country if you are vegan- everybody eats meat.

We are in Belize city and were also in San Ignacio. We are family of 4, vegan, rather fruitarian. Fruits here are very expensive

Interesting comments here. I work for a major airline so getting there is next to nothing. I have never been but interested in a small condo. How is the costs compared to say, Costa Rica, Nicaragua or Cancun, MX?

We were in India, and bought almost every fruit for 1 USD. Cheapest in the world. Spent 3 decades there and then to Tennessee.

In Belize, if you go to any supermarket, the prices are tripled as compared to the fruit market n Belize.

Bananas- supermartket 7 for a Belizian dollar. In Belize City market- 10 for a BZD , San Ignacio market- 11 for a BZD

Grapes- supermartket 8.99 Belizian dollar for a pound. In Belize City market- 5 Belizian dollar for a pound, San Ignacio market- 6 for a dollar

Pine apple- supermartket 4 Belizian dollar for one piece. In Belize City market- 2.5 Belizian dollar for one piece, San Ignacio market- 3 for a dollar

Cucumber- supermartket 1 Belizian dollar for a pound. In Belize City market- 50 cents for a pound, San Ignacio market- 75cents for a dollar

Tomatoes supermartket 4.50 Belizian dollar for a pound. In Belize City market- 1.50 Belizian dollar for a pound, San Ignacio market- 2 for a dollar

Corn- supermartket 4.95 Belizian dollar for 3 pieces. In Belize City market- 1 Belizian dollar for a 5 pieces, San Ignacio market- 6 pieces for a dollar

We rather call up the people importing fruits from Mexico, Costa Rica and buy for a week.

Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicargua, Guatemala are very cheap as compared to Belize. Property prices are way too much inflated. Quater of a lot in Cayo is 7K USD and in Belize City 40K USD.

ddagencylv wrote:

Interesting comments here. I work for a major airline so getting there is next to nothing. I have never been but interested in a small condo. How is the costs compared to say, Costa Rica, Nicaragua or Cancun, MX?

I retired from WN in 2015, have been coming to Placencia about 10 years. Bought a little house in the Village. We absolutely love it here. I was fortunate in getting owner financing from another American. But as has been covered in other posts on this forum, real estate sales in Belize is almost always a cash transaction.

As to cost, it's the same three things that drive real estate everyware, Location, Location and Location.

Realtors and ignorant buyers have driven sale prices way up in recent years, so prices in many cases are overvalued.  Foreign owners that then try to resell in a couple of years, often wait years trying to get their money out of a property. The locals seldom use or trust any realtors, so their customers are foreigners. In September Coldwell Banker Southern Belize Realty permanently closed their office in Placencia.

However doing your own legwork can turn up deals. Digging your own "Sandales In The Sand" is time and effort well spent before buying.

Spend time in country, rent a car, explore on your own to narrow down the areas that might suit you in this diverse country. Once you find an area of interest, rent for a few months, before buying.

Always the best advice search for the area you feel suits your personality and life style and rent for months. live in Belize through all its seasons, see if it lives up to your expectations. Then you will be in a position to buy and by then know your area and what is available.
Didn't know Caldwell Banker had pulled out of Placencia such a pity as they upset so many locals when they tore down the Purple Space Monkey and it's mural to build that office.  Maybe they needed more than location, location, location in this case.They could have rented  some other office space first, to see if  Placencia was a good fit, not as though that would have been too difficult a that time.

Hi folks,
This is Maria, myself and my hubby moving to Belize. hybby is an experienced pharamcist - got a job offer, it is only for 12 months though.  He asked additional time up to April 2018 to start on.  Me a housewife. 

First of all saying hello. Not sure what to expect, hubby is serious on taking up this job. Never visited Belize before. I am Spanish and he is Philippines; have 3 children - grownups, going to school in Calgary. Lived in different countries. Only we both coming to BZ first, children will join a year later. I am reading various forums. After careful reading - Decided not to bring any vehicle, expensive electronics except one laptop, one camera and 2 smartphones. So our bags contain only clothes and documents only. For now, this is the plan. But have so many questions. Will only ask a few now to save you guys from long list.

1. What documents are required normally? besides passports, IDs, etc. Any medical reports required to enter / get extensions?

2. I am reading issues with immigration / monthly extensions etc.  Is it that people with work permits also are required to do this monthly extensions?

3. What are bank reference letters?  are we expected to get these reference letters from Calgary? even a reference letter from Manila will do?  how many ref letters are required?

4. Both of us drive, have licenses in Canda and Philippines. But can we manage without any vehicle in Belize for at least 1 year? Can we use our driver permits as valid IDs in Belize?

5. Is it possible to manage life with bicycles alone? I really love that option. But want to know how safe it is and what are the distances for basic marketing/ shopping? I may have no problem up to 4 km daily without any complaint. My hubby may cry, but it is his choice to come to Belize!

6. I am reading about the option of buying used Chinese bikes.  Any advice on this option? 

7. What about plain yogurt? I am seeing a few posts that locally produced yogurt.  How good it is when compared to La Yogurt as in US or Canada? 

He is from a small island from Philippines, so very excited to take up this in Belize.  He has 18 months of leave, so wants to try this job in Belize.  I do hope we both will be fine?  He wants to rent a separate home, but I am looking at apartments for safety and company etc.  But not sure how things shape up for accommodation.   

Feel free to drop your views, most welcome

dr22maria.fernanda wrote:

Hi folks,
This is Maria, myself and my hubby moving to Belize. hybby is an experienced pharamcist - got a job offer, it is only for 12 months though.

Welcome Maria !
Belize is a small country, but still diverse from area to area. It would be helpful to know what Village, Town, or City in Belize you will be living in as many things that would work well in one area would not in another area.

Thanks Will The Old.  Hubby's job location is Western Regional Hospital.   He is trying through HR department to get housing either in Roarking Creak, Espat Estate.  I am wondering about Spanish Lookout - to know if it is really possible to meet some Spanish community - but it looks like very far from his work. 

Please let me your views/ advices etc

Untill you get to the position of putting in paperwork for Permanent residency you only really need your passport and proof you can  financially support yourself without calling on the Belize government for any aid.  After the first year( during which time you cannot leave Belize for more than a total of 14 days) when you actually  apply for residency then you  will need medical and police checks. Which can be done from the area in Belize that you are living.
Depending on where you are going to be living it is doubtful you can manage totally without a vehicle. (Unless you really like traveling on the chicken busses) If in a town area you can manage with pushbikes, just make sure you always have a simple tool set for running repairs,  and yes your driver  license will be acceptable in Belize. Are you talking motor bikes if so I have no experience so no helpful info to offer.
If your husband has a job offer then presumably the employer will have a work permit sorted out for him, but you will still have to do the monthly misery that is immigration.
You only need the (2 for each of you) Bankers references to open a Belize bank account, this is another long and noisome process, but having a work permit should/could help. Many US banks are no longer writing personal reference letters for customers, I do not know if same  for Canadian banks. We managed to get by with a formal bank history provided on bank stationary with full contact details for the branch manager, but that was a couple of years ago before the big  changes demanded to protect banks from Laundering charges.
Most Dairy products including Yoghurt are produced by the Mennonite community and are all acceptable quality products. Depending on the area you will be living the option of house or apartment may be moot.
Hope some of this is useful you did not say where your husband would be located in his new position and small though  the country is every area of Belize is different from the others.
I see while i wrote this you said you would be in the western/central area I think the area you meant would be Roaring creek. do not Know the other name. As to Spanish lookout this is the largest mennonite community,  the language used is mainly a form of 'plat Deutch' or low German, the major dairy producers and farming community, and a great shopping area. Non Mennonites cannot buy or rent within Spanish lookout. I live in the Belmopan area and there are some nice homes available for rent in the area. Being more central gives you a great location for exploring this little country.

dr22maria.fernanda wrote:

Thanks Will The Old.  Hubby's job location is Western Regional Hospital.   He is trying through HR department to get housing either in Roarking Creak, Espat Estate.  I am wondering about Spanish Lookout - to know if it is really possible to meet some Spanish community - but it looks like very far from his work. 

Please let me your views/ advices etc

My Belize home in Placencia is about a 90 min drive well south of the Hospital.  So I am not familiar with housing options near there. The Hospitals is in the City of Belmopan, the Capital of Belize.  Most government offices and Embassies are located there.

I just drove through there today on a shopping trip to Spanish Lookout, which is a very nice Mennonite community (not Spanish), and considered the industrial, and agricultural center of Belize.

Many people in Belize speak Spanish, Mayan, and  English the official  language. You should have no problem meeting good folks, as Belizeans are a very friendly people.

I would suggest getting a short term rental to use as a base to explore the area before signing a longer lease. Websites such as AirBNB,  Booking dot com, will have many choices.

Hopefully someone familiar with the Belmopan area will offer suggestions.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated...

Hi y'all!

I've been visiting Belize for years, and bought land on Caye Caulker, north of the split.  I've been watching it change, and I figure it'll either get built up, in which case I'll sell, or it won't in which case I'll stay. I have at least 8 years until I could live their even half time, but as a professor I have time to get there often enough.  I love the go slow attitude and the diverse mix of people cohabiting.
The property has a tiny cabana, and I'm slowly building out.  I plan to do vacation rentals.
I'd love advice/resources on building: architects, legal dances with the government, and especially love to meet any Caye Caulker residents!

I too just moved to Belize. I am taking over a hotel in Benque vejos de Carmen. It is further west from Belmopan. There are many nice hotels in the area. ***

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : please register your hotel in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

hello, we are a large family with a few teenagers and lots of little ones and seeking a really simple old fashioned lifestyle. we are really conservative and old fashioned ( you might mistake us for mennonites but we aren't) we are pretty independent not really sociable type but we are very friendly to all people we encounter. we have been eyeing Belize for quite some time, and I was there for 10 days last year in Cayo between Spanish lookout and Belmopan. loved it.
I am also thinking maybe about Corozal because it is closer to the beach and Mexico.

I have read many negative articles commentaries on Belize and I am not discouraged. I hate big box stores and never eat outside of the home in any case.

The main things we want are;

privacy, safety, access to natural water source, cheap land (with no building restrictions), ability to raise our own goats, chickens, cows, access to emergency med facilities if needed, and lots of cheap and healthy produce/baking ingredients. and we dont want to be around lots of tourists...

I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction... thanks!!!

Hello and welcome to the forum! You will find a lot of good information here, a lot of it in older threads. As for buying property, I can give you the process from my perspective, and you can read what others have said as well. You need to go look at properties. You can get an idea of the price ranges by looking at the real estate websites, but realize that is just a guide. The more property you buy, the cheaper it is, in general.  The more properties you actually look at the better idea you will have of where you want to be, and what you are looking for. Take your time. Visit multiple times.
We bought along the Stann Creek-Cayo border. I had specific requirements for what I wanted, and I did end up getting what I was looking for at a reasonable price. Expect to pay $500-$2000 per acre for properties that are 50 acres or more, depending on location, fruit trees, etc. I understand it is not as easy as it was to purchase property now in Belize, but it is possible. Use an attorney for the closing. Do your due diligence.
Good luck in your quest.

you need to be very careful with the title issues.

ska8er47499 wrote:

you need to be very careful with the title issues.

Absolutely correct!!

I have a good friend, a 5th generation Belizion, business owner, and a Justice of the Peace that advised me when I was looking for property a couple of years ago. He mentioned cases he had seen. Commonly property was granted to of left to members of a large family, but over the years some move away, then when the members that remained sell or pass away, it gets sold without sharing with the ones that moved away. Years later they find out it sold for a huge amount, and want it back, or there share, leaving the buyers holding the bag, or having to buy it again.

Other cases have squatters living on it for years, squatter descendants think they have a legal right to it, sell it and later the new buyers are left without title.  There are many variations on this. Some of this is fraud, some honest mistakes, but it usually results in the new buyer without clear title. Always use an attorney to represent you, even if the Realtor says its not needed.

Hi Ann,

Did you get your car shipped to Belize?

Copy WN. Yes I am DL and about 7yrs out. Positioning now. My father moved to UIO (MEC) but its a little to primitive for me. BOG and CTG looks nice too. If you need anything, we have 2x daily from ATL in the summer.

Interested...

Closed