New members of the Belgium forum, introduce yourself here – 2017

Hi Melissa,

I'd like to know about your experience so far in Belgium - as a fellow South African. Any advise for a newcomer?

Hello there,  Winnie here a ugandan, just moved to brussels from hyderabad, India where we lived for 2 years and also had our baby girl ( 1 year). I would love to meet people and make friends.

Hello,
I am living here for few years now.  I was not aware of this forum. I would be interested in networking and if possible to practice my poor French to improve. I am also interested for outdoor games (Badminton, Tennis etc) or Indoor. I do like travelling. I am usually moving around during weekend. So feel free to buzz me if you have spare time or would like to play some games or teach me some French ;)
Thanks

Hi All,
I am Saravanan (Sara) and currently we are in Singapore and planning to move Belgium by end of this year.
My workplace will be in Wavre.We have 2 kids aged 5 and 12 and totally got no idea on where we gonna live,which English speaking school we could send them etc

Looking forward to get your help.

Warm regards
Sara

Hi! My name is Kalin (from Bulgaria) and next month I'll be relocating to Brussels for about a year. I'm a little nervous as I speak neither French nor Dutch, but hopefully I'll be able to cope somehow.
Never been to Belgium before, so I have almost no idea what to expect. Right now I'm wondering how I should go about looking for a place to rent. Any advice would be welcome :)

Hi all, my name is Iwona and I have just moved to Brussels 2 weeks ago for a new job. My partner will join me in a month. I'm still getting my head around the local bureaucracy and trying to look for answers to some of my questions I've found this forum.

I'm originally Polish, but have lived in London for the last 5 years. I don't speak French and would like to learn as quickly as I can. I love outdoor sports and climbing (bouldering specifically, both in- and out- doors) so I will also be looking at some ideas of how to stay close to nature when living in Brussels. I also enjoy good beer, european films and trying new foods. I'm looking forward to meeting new people in here.

Hi everyone,

We are moving to Brussels soon- haven't got an exact date yet but my husband will go first and we will join him for the start of the academic year in 2018.  Currently looking at school options. We have two children, ages 9 and 11.

Its sooooooooo nice to see these many new people like me in Brussels :) I have been here for 3 months now roughly but its been a fantastic 3 months. I got to agree, Belgium changed my perspective BEER  :) Its just wow. And food is very nice :):) Any ways, I hope to find much more in Brussels.. Happy Summer :):)

Start your approach early enough, because you may be
need time to provide certain documents.
In all cases, you must present a valid passport.
Some countries require a period of minimum validity of the passport,
several months after the expected date of return to France. for
some destinations, a visa may be requested upon check-in
country.
But most travelers order now visa online
in organization "Visa office" for that it performs the
approaches in their name.

Visa Office email: private message

New comers, welcome :)

Newcomers, welcome to brussels :)

Hello!!! I'm Raisa from Mexico, married with a belgian, I live close to Liege, I'm a mom of an adorable baby :)
If there's someone close to me let me know so we can grab coffee and talk.

Hi all,

This is Othmane I'm planning to move to belgium in the near future,I'm looking for a vacancy in Embedded Systems.

Happy to share with you.

Hi All!

My family and I are planning to move to Belgium from Minnesota in mid-August. We are excited!

-Matt

Hi Everyone,

This is PRANAY, I am from India, recently moved to Turnhout with my Wife. I live close to Station/VDAB . I am fairly new here.
If there are someone closeby, please let me know so we can catch up and connect
Have a good day !

- PRANAY

Hello!

My name is Larissa, I am Brazilian and I am looking for a job opportunity in Belgium. I am currently a teacher with 6-year experience in the Language and Literature field.

I hope someone can help me find an opportunity.

Thank you!

Hi All -

moving to Brussels from Cleveland, Ohio in the USA in late August.  Looking forward to meeting new people and hopefully learning French!

Dave

Hello all,

Let me introduce myself as a "new comer" from France living right now in Belgium even if it seems that I am not the only one. I would love learning a bit more on what's going on here in order to go out localy. Could you suggest me some good ideas, please ?

Thanks in advance and have a good evening,
Florian

By the way, as a French, I would be happy to share our life styles in French, English, Spanish, German...

Thanks in advance,
Florian

Hi there everyone,

I'm Bianca, I'm coming from Romania and I moved in Antwerp in January 2017.
I am interested in meeting new people but also to find a gym buddie for zumba classes in Antwerp. I'd love to meet someone interested. Anyone can recommend me some places where they speak English.?. Thanks a lot!

Hello Bianca,

Personally, I have had the opportunity to dance the kizumba. Since then, why not trying again but via the zumba this time. Let me know if you have found the place in Antwerpen or in Bruxelles and if we can meet there for dancing (probably in September because the classes should start again at this period of the year) ?

Take care,
Florian

Hello Everyone

Thanks for creating this forum. Immigrating is a scary process.

My family and I are in the process of relocating from South Africa to Belgium.

The planned dates are to be settled by Oct/Nov 2017.

Can someone please help with some information on the topics below?

1. My daughter has a rare disorder called RETT syndrome. I have tried to contact various people in the medical field but no one seems to be able to assist. Can someone advise on a medical company that I can contact as I need to ensure she get the right therapy.

2. Some advise on Internet connection at home.

3. Cell phone contracts vs pre paid

4. house hold insurance

5. medical insurance

6. living costs

Regards
Henry Craukamp

Hi!

I'm also a fan of badminton and  table tennis. I live in Antwerp. Do you happen to know some cool places here where you can play ping pong?

Is there someone here living/moving in Antwerp?

Hi there! How's it going?

I'm Pawel (Paul) from Poland. I've worked in Brussels from few months. I try to make friends with people from different countries. I'm interested in other cultures, food and customs. Would you like to have a coffee - my pleasure.

See you!

Hello All,

I'm Iza, I come from Poland and live in Mechelen. I think it would be cool to meet other expats, share experiences and our stories. I'm interested in science, good movies and music. If you feel like coffee in area of Antwerp or Brussels, let me know :)

Hey everyone, I am Luca and I ve recently arrived in Brussels for work! I am looking for people to hang out with and share time and stories! If you want to have a coffee or a beer (or two), maybe with some live music, write me!

Hi

My name is Kerry and my family  and I live in South Africa. My husband has currently been told we have to immigrate the countries given to us to choose from are Brussels and the UK.

I have lived a very sheltered life here in S.A.  and unfortunately know nothing about any other countries.  We have a little boy of 9 and a little girl of 6 who is special needs.  She  has Rett Syndrome and is non functioning.   I have millions of questions related to schooling and Drs and therapy,  I am also not sure which county would be best suited for my little girl as she really struggles from a sensory point with the cold and all the layers of clothing.   So I am freaked out to say the least and terifiied beyond my wildest dreams... Is there any one out there who can maybe give me a little insite as to how what where who....

Totally lost
thanks Kerry

Hi

My name is Kerry and my family  and I live in South Africa. My husband has currently been told we have to immigrate the countries given to us to choose from are Brussels and the UK.

I have lived a very sheltered life here in S.A.  and unfortunately know nothing about any other countries.  We have a little boy of 9 and a little girl of 6 who is special needs.  She  has Rett Syndrome and is non functioning.   I have millions of questions related to schooling and Drs and therapy,  I am also not sure which county would be best suited for my little girl as she really struggles from a sensory point with the cold and all the layers of clothing.   So I am freaked out to say the least and terifiied beyond my wildest dreams... Is there any one out there who can maybe give me a little insite as to how what where who....

Totally lost
Thanks Kerry

Hello,

My wife and I are American, relocating to Brussels in October/November. She is transferring with her current employer Deloitte, I am hoping to stay on with Citi but open to looking at other banks/financial services companies. I work primarily in analytics if anyone knows of the best sites to look for Brussels jobs or top companies in the industry.

Once we get there and get established looking forward to getting connected socially. Any advice on the move or things to look out for please let us know!

Hello Everyone,

I'm Rahul. I'm from India. I recently finished my Masters from France and I will be moving to Brussels in September to start my new  Job.  I don't know anybody yet from Brussels. I would like to make new friends and explore the city.

Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Hi there,

Well lets see:

1. I found this: Belgische Rett Syndroom Vereniging. I think if you contact them you can get more info.
2. internet connection here we have Telenet, Scarlet, Belgacom....  Telenet is in my opinion the best quality but also rather pricy. This is cable. I have tried the other providers (which all use Belgacoms ADSL network and have major issues with the quality of connections and especially customer support). But the price difference is quite large.
3. Be very careful with cell phone contracts here. Really read the fine print. Especially if you get a "super cheap" offer for a few months or a cell phone attached for 1 euro. I personally prefer pre paid, and use Mobile Vikings. Other providers are Base, Telenet, Belgacom, Jim Mobile, and there are more. A good tip if you phone a lot is to use a "package". The major providers like Telenet and Belgacom give all in packages with digital TV, cell phone, land line and internet which are in total cheaper than buying it all seperately.
4. Here we have obligatory insurance: you have to take fire insurance on your house if you buy your house or rent (you will have to inform here which is applicable to you) Ours costs around 500euros per year. They are quite pricy. It is very advisable to also take a "familiale verzekering", they cost around 90euro per year and protect you if something happens to a stranger in and around you house (like if they slip on the ice in front of your door, or your dog bites someone. Most people have that here. Car insurance is also obligatory and is also quite pricy. When buying a car here get good advice because the car tax and insurance are all based on fuel consumption, horse power and emissions of the vehicle. There are also different classes of vehicle and different uses (professional, private or combined). You can count between about 500 euros and 1500 euros for car insurance per year and tax is also quite high. Cars have to go to through the test once a year.
5. Medical insurance here is standard for all people who enter Belgium legally. If you work here you pay for social security (automatically deducted from your pay along with the taxes). Depending upon your daughters age she is either automically on your medical book or has to work and pay her own. If you wife is working here the same applies. If your wife is going to stay at home she is on your medical book and can not get as much paid back from the medical. It is a very complicated system. At present I can really advise you take a hospital insurance as soon as you arrive. You can chose between the government provided ones (which is advisable for your daughter as they are not allowed to give exclusions as far as I know) or go for something like AG or DKV, which are more expensive but of much higher quality with the down side of exclusion for existing conditions. I use both. Depending on you age you get hospi from state at around 250 euro per person per year and depending on your age DKV or AG is about 45 euros (I am forty).
6. Living costs:
Well depends on a lot ofcourse.  Cheaper than South Africa. Cars are much cheaper, to buy a house is much cheaper, food is much cheaper. (this in relation to income in South Africa as I have experienced it)
You can buy a simple down to earth vehicle from about 10000 euros new in January (auto salon). With options you looking at around 20000 -25000.
Houses have gone up in price: looking at around 200000 euros for something reasonable.
Rent for a three bedroom house is +/-1200euros.
They say you need about 200euros minimum per person on food.
- bread: 2.10euro
- milk: 0.62euro
- meat: about 15 euro per kilo average. Fish is very expensive.
- washing liquid: 16 euros a bottle for brand names, you can get much cheaper if you look.
- clothes: about 18euros T-shirt, 49 euros polo, 50 euros jeans. also lots of different price grades.
If you can buy online, it is much cheaper.

Hope this helps. When you get here you are welcome to contact me.

Hello

My name is Zarel , i am originally from Peru and i have been living in Gent for the last past year. I am here doing my phd so will staying at least 3 more years

LuciaMar1317 wrote:

Hello

My name is Zarel , i am originally from Peru and i have been living in Gent for the last past year. I am here doing my phd so will staying at least 3 more years

Hi Zarel. Good luck with your PhD. I passed through the same path some time ago. Also enjoy it!

Hello All,

My name is Fai. I live in Gent for years now but don't have many friends to hang out with. I like good conversation and food, also good music. I am easy going but I work in the evening in the weekend, i guess thats why I dont have lot of friends.
Im interested in making new friends and connections. Drop me a message if you wanna hang out. ;)

Fai

Hi All, My name is Akshatha Shenoy, I am working as Quality and process consultant in a pharma company.
I have recently (just a couple of weeks ago) relocated from Bangalore, India.
This is the first time i am visiting Belgium. Heard a lot of good things about this place.

Would love to know more about this place, best places to visit, eatouts, entertainment, must do's and also dont's
Need to find a nice cozy accomodation in Antwerp as well.

I am here becasue i am really interested in getting to meet other expats, and listening to thier journey so far.
Here i am... Looking forward to hear from you, cheers, Akshatha.

Hi All, I am Rufus presently in Cameroon but will be moving to Belgium next year to do my masters at Vrije. Hope to make new friends thanks ;)

Hi all.here Zara .my hubby applied for me and my son visa for belgium long term visa .i submitted my documents in April 2017.after 2 month embassy call us and give me passports with information letter from belgium embassy where they mentioned that they forward my documents for verification in belgium and when decision is taken they call us.now total 4months ago .i check my sataus where shown that my app is in treatment how much time it's taken I want to know .?

Hey All, Nivin here from Mysore, India. I will be coming to Antwerpen, Belgium in November. Looking forward to make new expat friends.

Hi everybody,
My name is Cherry. I moved from Thailand and live in Belgium. This website is very useful esp Job posting and expats' stories.
Looking forward to make some new friends.

Closed