New members of the Spain forum, introduce yourself here – 1st quarter of 2017

Can anyone help with some advice please. I put up two questions on the expat Spanish blog and on theexpat  Italian blog but have had no answers. I have some classic cars (four in fact) and want to know how hard or easy it is to re-register these when I come to life in Spain, Italy or another E.U country when I move to retire. It seems complicated but cheap in Spain as they comply with the E.U. law regarding change of residence but expensive in Italy as they do not seem to comply with the law? The other question was about protected areas as I am involved in conservation of woodland and I would hope to live in a S.A.C. (Special  Area of Conservation). I believe that hunting is still allowed in National Parks in both countries but am told by colleagues in the E.U. that hunting is banned in S.A.C.'s but that in Italy at least the police are slow to make an arrest of people hunting in thesis areas. Is this true and what is the situation in Spain?

It seems common  not to get replies. I posted two topics and no response. I thought the forum had closed.

I am in Alicante. I dont know anyone who is a hunter, but I do know that people hunt in areas designated "coto privado", usually the person that owns the property or with their permission. I know that it is possible to bring in cars from other countries but again dont know details.

Hi

I'm Scott, I currently live in London and I'm planning to move to Spain. I'm going to buy a house there in the future.  I know i'll need to live there before I decide where to buy.

I've visited many places in Spain from Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, Cadiz, Alicante and Andalucia. I love Spanish people and the lifestyle. I've been learning Spanish for ten years and plan to improve by practising and practising.

London is an amazing city and great for work but cost of living here is crazy. And yes the weather is really bad too! Lots of people love UK and I respect them for liking out little country.

I've already done lots of research and I know it's not going to be easy. The only way to tell by going for it. If I have to move back to London for work reasons then I will.

I'd like to hear from positive people who have a good story to tell or people that are planning to do the same as me.

I've got no time for negative folk!

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Best
Scott

Hi Scott

I am planning to do something very similar.  Ex-Londoner, now living on the south coast and have made several trips out to look at where I'd like to live.  In fact I'm going back tomorrow for a six week scouting trip!  Ferry to Bilbao, then a meander down south, eventually ending up in La Alpujarra, which is a favourite area.  I was there in Feb/March, wonderful villages, strong sense of community and breathtaking beauty.  I love that I can stand on a mountain road with the snow-capped sierras on one side, swivel 180 degrees and see the heat rising from the Med.  There are lots of free Spanish classes to encourage integration in the area, and you can choose between the relatively cooler climes of the mountains or zip down to the coast if you want beach and heat.  Strong sense of community, people are lovely - generous, warm and friendly (in my experience).  That said, I love cities too and was considering Valencia for a while - you don't mention that on your list and if you haven't been I highly recommend.  Vibrant city, beautiful old quarter, fantastic park that circles the city created from dried up river bed (now a centre for sports, cycling, running, walking or just hanging out in the shade), there is Calatrava's amazing City of Arts and Sciences, lots of cultural activities and a fantastic beach - what more could one need?  I'd live there in a heartbeat but my budget is limited and I can get so much more in La Alpujarra - and Granada is pretty close.  Spain is vast and diverse and it pays to spend time, as you are, experiencing different areas.  Don't know if that's helpful but I enjoyed reminding myself of what I love about Spain and wish you well in your search.  I'm sure we won't regret it...... :)

Hi there. read your post with great interest - I too feel exactly the same. but want to buy in Alicante region..  as close to sea as possible.  I have always planned to buy in spain. short flight from Uk.. (north of England). so convenient for travelling.
I am seeking independent property.. privacy.. I think that to buy a property nearer to other brits is important . to avoid feeling lonely..
even if you speak Spanish.. you may need other brits for mutual support. companionship. etc.  what do you think// ??  Julia

Hi Sherbert

Thanks for your reply, yes I've heard great things about La Alpujarra, I plan to visit in a couple of years. I've been to Granada before and loved it. I nearly went to Valencia last year for a short city break. It's still on the list.

Sounds like you are getting close to your dream with regular visits will you be working when you live in Spain?  I work as a graphic designer in London so hoping to work remotely in Spain and maybe a part-time job to help at the start.

I don't drive so I will need to be based near good public transport.

Lets keep in touch.

Scott

I'm a newbie to this forum! Totally loving all the support and love from people all over. I'm in the Midwest in the USA and I am hoping to make a BIG move to Spain in the spring time. Any advice on love, dating, nightlife, politics, NIE stuff, jobs, visas, work.... I would love it ALL! Todos!

Hi All.just bought a place in the hills around Flix near Mora de Ebro.Would be interested to hear from any expats living in the area..we are planning on moving out there in the future on a permanent basis...could do with any advice on how to get someone to deal with local taxes etc is a gestor the best way?any recommendations much appreciated..

Hi Everyone,

My name is Heather and I have just started an online firewood and fuel supply business with my partner in the Murcia region. hmfuels.es

We hail from Ireland, so this is a bit of a change from the rain and Guinness ;)   Its really early days for the business and I'm hoping to convince the people of the Murcia region to order their firewood from us.  :) 

Happy Wednesday  :D

Hi all,

My name is Alessio and I'm new on the forum. I'm Italian but currently living in Santa Cruz de Tenerife where I have a small rent a scooter shop.

I consider myself a well trained expat since I lived in Barcelona, London, Mallorca, Dublin and Canary Island.

Cheers!!!

Hello.

We're a couple relocating to just outside Oliva from Bournemouth at the end of the year.  We are in the process of buying a house and are hoping to make new friends when we settle in.

I am retired (or I will be by then) and Sheila is trained as a nurse.  We also have Casper the white mini schnauzer.

The house will need some modernisation work doing on it which I am looking forward to getting on with.  My interests, apart from DIY and gardening include astronomy which is why we have decided to go 'out in the sticks' for our home.

I hope we can come to other expats for advice and contacts for anything we need.

Looking forward to meeting lots of you :)

I forgot to mention, I am British and Sheila is from South Africa.  Anyone up for a braai?

Hiya,
Not really a newbie to Spain (been here for 7 years!) but I am a newbie to the forum. I've thought of joining for a while but never seemed to get round to it. But now that we adopted a cat who turned out to be pregnant and has 6 kittens who needs homes, I finally have the incentive :) Hope someone in/around Ronda or Malaga is interested! And obviously I look forward to using the forum to talk to other members (not just trying to flog them very cute kittens)

Ruya

My husband and I are in the process of actively searching for our retirement home in Alicante. 
Any advice would be welcome.
Are there any retirees on this forum who live near or in Alicante?
How do you find everyday life there?
Mary and John

Hi, my name is Esteban and I just returned from a great vacation in Spain. I love Barcelona and I'm really thinking about moving there. I plan to work there but I'll be collecting a pension that should be sufficient for my living expenses. I'm currently still working in the US in Human Resources, specifically in Labor Relations. I'm very open to working in something new that interests me.

I'm hoping to find some guidance/advice from expats in Barcelona.

Thank you!

I am married to a Spanish lady and live in Alicante. Great place to live. If you speak Spanish there's lots to do. Rent is inexpensive, food is cheap and good, public transportation excellent. I have other posts on this blog with more detail.

Thank you for the reply. I will look into Alicante - it sounds nice. I'll also look at your other posts.
Do you have any recommendations regarding visa requirements and how to obtain a resident visa?

Thanks, Esteban

Marry a Spanish lady. Get hired by a Spanish company. To get in the door, come in as a student or if retired and with a means of support, there are visas for retirees that don' t permit one to work. I came in as a student, later married a Spanish lady and also worked for the Spanish government under a Ramon y Cajal research grant. Things seem to be  getting tougher, when I last renewed my NIE (id card), I had to return to the office three times. The final time I went with my wife and things got finalized. Was not so difficult previously.

Hi there.
My name is Haroun Risa. I'm an actor, author and scriptwriter from Kenya, and I'm looking for acting opportunities and castings in Spain for either films or TV productions.

Heey. Do you do acrobatic show

Hola,
It is a good idea to get cats spayed etc. before you 'rescue' them - our cat lived in a dumpster before a kind Spaniard handed him in to a Rescue Centre and we acquired him complete with jabs, chip, passport and a full belly.
Spain is full of abandoned  animals - cats/dogs/horses/donkeys etc. The Spanish have a different attitude to animals than the average Brit (which is changing slowly).
If you are not tired of barking dogs now...you soon will become immune or go mad in the process.
For all animal lovers - bullfighting is slowly on its way out, mostly thanks to young people, although Andalucia will be the last bastion to surrender to this cruel 'tradition'.
Hunting is commonplace but the experience of the Iberian Lynx and a growing  interest in birds and other nature has meant that Spaniards are realising there is more enjoyment with animals than hunting them to death.
The influx of divorced female immigrants/expats has meant that a lot of cute young dogs and cats (and some old and infirm ones) have made it back to the UK and a 'forever' home' or should that read forever or as long as Brexit allows?
So enjoy your life in this lovely country and please make sure that all sentient creatures enjoy it as well.

Hi all!

I am living in Valencia and currently looking for a job. It can be anything with tourism, hotels, events, hospitality, languages, marketing, planning, operations, human resources etc. I speak Dutch and English fluently, Spanish and German on level B1.

Please let me know if you have any information for me :)

Thank you in advance!

No, but I can dance.

Acrobats also dance, right?

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=679388

Thanks!

Hiyo ni poa. Why do u want to come to spain

Closed