New members of the Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourself here – 1st quarter of 2017

The one main objection of rejas, and security windows are safety issues in case of fire. Not being able to open a window and go out that way, can be life or death situation. However concrete houses do not burn well or fast so it would be rare not being able to go into the hall and use any of the 2 or 3 doors present.

I love this, thank you.

As mentioned before, the iron bars are for security as well as decoration. Iron fences or as we know them rejas comes from the spanish influence in the island. I have them on our fence for decorations since anyone can just jump them if wanted. Bars on the windows are used for hurricane security as well. I am not saying that in some areas of the island are really used as security but not all.

Today's date most new construction use them strictly for decorations since windows and doors are made of better materials to withstand the bad weather.

The perception is that PR is out of control in crime, some areas are higher than others. My personal opinión is that the press exaggerated a lot. We feel very safe in the western part of the island and never had any issues. Be aware of your surroundings and practice common sense. I'm not saying it can't happen but if you do your part to prevent it the probably will be a lot less.

Good luck and welcome to the island!!!

So Jen when are you moving and what area?

ReyP wrote:
BABY J wrote:

Hey guys.... I didn't realize my 1st post here was 2015 --- but I finally arrived this week. Better late than never. :) I've actually been setting up shop over the last year (housing, shipping 2 vehicles) but finally here to stay now (at least for the next 5 years). I've got a place in Ceiba that I like - but I am looking hard at Aibonito (I just can't leave well-enough alone - lol). Hope everyone is doing well and I hope to meet some of you soon.

Where in Ceiba, I got a lot there in Chupacallos, but I am still in the states.
PS welcome to Puerto Rico.

Hey Rey - I'm in Paseo De La Costa

BABY J wrote:
ReyP wrote:
BABY J wrote:

Hey guys.... I didn't realize my 1st post here was 2015 --- but I finally arrived this week. Better late than never. :) I've actually been setting up shop over the last year (housing, shipping 2 vehicles) but finally here to stay now (at least for the next 5 years). I've got a place in Ceiba that I like - but I am looking hard at Aibonito (I just can't leave well-enough alone - lol). Hope everyone is doing well and I hope to meet some of you soon.

Where in Ceiba, I got a lot there in Chupacallos, but I am still in the states.
PS welcome to Puerto Rico.

Hey Rey - I'm in Paseo De La Costa

Have not heard of it, I am in the hills by exit 5 on PR53.

I am currently looking for a job and preparing our house in Maine for sale. We are looking at Northern coast. There seem to be some decent jobs in the Carolina area, Isabella, and a few in Rincon. I am an Office Manager/ Executive Assistant bit have some flexibility. I was hoping to make the move this summer if all goes well with the job search and selling our current house. If anyone knows of a place looking for some great management skills let me know. :)

Hi.  I'm brand new here.  :)  My husband is military and gets to choose our next location.  We are very seriously considering Puerto Rico.  We have been doing TONS of research, which is how I stumbled upon this website.  I've found this info very helpful and slightly overwhelming.  We are in our 30s with two young kids.  At the time we get there, we will have 1 kid going into 1st grade, the other in last year of preschool.  I am not sure which forum question to post all this under (please forgive me!  I know this is just supposed to be an intro!)... but the BIG question we have to answer is, would PR be a good choice for us?  We would be moving about a year from now (March 2018).  I see there is a lot happening with the economy.  I run an online businesses with lots of shipments.  Schools look very expensive and I have no desire (or time!) to homeschool.  So many question marks for us, but the adventure and possibility to experience something new seems to outweigh many cons at the moment.  We will be visiting the island next month (April 2017) to get a feel for it and hopefully make a better decision.  Thanks for any info you can give, and thanks for having me here.  :)

Sorry, I realize I did not do a very good job of introducing myself.  :)  My name is Stefanie, I was born in Missouri and have a degree from University of Missouri- Columbia in Elementary Education.  I taught for a few years before my husband joined the military.  Since then, I have followed him around ;) and stayed home with our babies.  We currently have a 4 yr old girl and a 3 yr old boy (18 mos apart).  We are big into fitness, my husband particularly enjoys CrossFit and has his own CrossFit home gym setup (which limits potential housing).  Should we choose to move there, we are looking at the Dorado area since it's near his work.  Thanks again for any info you have for us.  <3

Welcome to the forum and hopefully to Puerto Rico. I suggest you arrange your questions by subject maters like schooling, medical, fishing, night life, etc. Then for each of those subject matters create a thread with the subject as the title. This way it is organized and you can get better answers and participation by subject matter experts.

Since you are military I assume that you will be looking for rentals around the military base so you have a reasonable commute. Or you may live in the base.
Go look at your electric bill and figure out how many kilowatts you use per month during summer time. Your electric bill in PR will be around .22 cents per KWH which is the highest expense for utility you are likely to have.
In a month or two we will have a better idea as to the economy impact from the Federal Board rulings and the goverment budget. The main effect will be on public employees and services that will slow down some and some goverment offices will be merged.

Split and conquered

Dorado can be expensive. May want to consider other towns around the base.

To help you compare prices here are listing for Dorado, switch towns and compare. Obviously prices and what is available changes daily so this is just for a guide.
http://www.clasificadosonline.com/UDRen … -+Busqueda

Thank you for the reply Rey! He wouldn't actually be working on base, he would be part of the Commissioned Health Corps and working kind of as a Lone Ranger (since he'd be the only from from the Health Corps in PR) in Guaynabo. I would say where, but he hasn't yet applied. 😉 We may be able to live on base, but we don't typically prefer that.  I did see Dorado can be expensive. I've been able to calculate our housing allowance, and that combined with what I make and he makes, we should be just fine. 😊 I will try to think of specific questions and post to the appropriate threads. Again, thank you for your time replying. 😊

(I can't figure out how to delete this accidental message from my phone.)

Don't worry or do a report and request deletion

Hello! My husband and I moved down here last summer from Philly. We have two kids 5 and 2. We love it here. The key to survival here is that you have to be very flexible. Nothing happens as it does in the states. We love how PR is family focused, and it has been a great change of pace from living in Philly. Our daughter in is kindergarten in a private school and we are happy with it. I would suggest visiting... but it is very different from living here :) We  live in Ponce. Good luck!

I hope this is the correct place to post my introduction. I am 62 and newly retired. My wife and I are chomping at the bit to make a move to the Caribbean. We are looking very seriously at Puerto Rico and are anxious to start talking to expats in PR. we have lots to learn and are open to any dialog.

Hey Oakbuilder,
Welcome to the forum and hopefully Puerto Rico soon.
This is the perfect place to let us get to know you a bit so we can help you better.

We ussualy recomend that you make a new thread for every subject matter you want to ask about but it is not a requirement.

So make a tread or 100 and ask away. There is plenty of information already on the site that you can search and save time during your research.

If you have not yet visited the island, we recommend you visit and see where you would like to live. There are 78 towns, each with its own flavor so there is plenty to explore.

The island has 270 miles of beaches, lots of rivers with cascades and river ponds, a rain forest, many forested areas, caves, night life, water sports, fishing fresh and salt, many islets, islands, and boating.

If you make the move you will be living where others vacation. And last but not least it is always summer like year round.
Ask away
Rey

PS: check this site, it has a little information about each town, while the info may be dated, it can help you compare the towns and also see where they are located. Remember that the island is only 35 miles wide, so you can never be more than 18 miles from the sea as the birds fly.  :D  By road that may be a lot longer. http://welcome.topuertorico.org/exploring.shtml

Thank you Rey, You have given me a starting point. I am sure I will be full of questions as we pursue this move. We most definitely will be visiting and really hope to make some contacts via this method and then to make some visits with these folks when we get there. Thanks again, Dale.

Depending on your timing you may end up meeting some of the members. Post a note on the site saying when you will be in the island and maybe some of the members will meet you if they live close by.

Welcome to the forum, and eventually Puerto Rico! I can't say I'm an 'expert' on PR, but I can share what little I know... which is basically the West side, and South (Lived in Guayama & Arroyo 6yrs. Then Rincon & now Isabela.

Welcome!!!! Ask away!!!!

Hi, Going to Rincon for 3 months . I rented a room from a couple in the hills. I rented a car for a month but will need a car for the remainder of my stay. I really want to semi-retire there or on the west coast anyway. Not sure where to start? I'm a wedding/event photographer. Figure I can get work easy enough. I am really hoping that in the 3 months I can figure it all out and NOT have to return. Any advice? Thanks.

Welcome to the land of NO SNOW. I am very happy that I moved to Puerto Rico. Let me know if you are in my neck of the woods, in Humacao.

photozrus wrote:

Hi, Going to Rincon for 3 months . I rented a room from a couple in the hills. I rented a car for a month but will need a car for the remainder of my stay. I really want to semi-retire there or on the west coast anyway. Not sure where to start? I'm a wedding/event photographer. Figure I can get work easy enough. I am really hoping that in the 3 months I can figure it all out and NOT have to return. Any advice? Thanks.

Rincon has a lot of weddings, you should check with wedding planners. Sunset photography is very common so practice your fill light to get those backlight photos.
Welcome to the forum

I will practice. I'm reading on Facebook, that people rent out their cars for months at a time. Is that legal?

photozrus wrote:

I will practice. I'm reading on Facebook, that people rent out their cars for months at a time. Is that legal?

I don't think so, also never heard that.

ReyP wrote:
photozrus wrote:

I don't think so, also never heard that.

I haven't heard that before. You can always find someone willing to take you places for a fee thou.

Regardless of legality, There are liabilities involved and tickets go with the car, not the driver. So if you go that route make sure they pay tickets before you get the car and you need to pay tickets before you return the car.

Hi Guys,

My name is Nathan, and my girlfriend Mekala and I are planning to move to the island this upcoming month in April '17. I recently found this forum and have read a ton of useful information! We are planning on opening a food truck/qsr on the west side of the island, and the amount of community and knowledge being shared has inspired me to join and ask questions.

I was reading a forum last week about permitting, which we are about to problem solve, and I saw a name for someone like Mim or Mimi that on the west side (I think Rincon) that helps the permitting process. Does that ring a bell for any users?

Of course we want to expedite as quickly as possible, so someone who is familiar with the process and has connections in the offices would be a great help. I think this had come from reyp?

Any help would be great guys!

No sorry, I was not the one but I do remember the mention.

Found it, try
Mim express service in Facebook

Hi Nathan and Mekala,
Welcome to the forum and Puerto Rico soon. Do let us know if you have other questions or if we can help in other ways.
Rey

Welcome! I recently saw a food truck for sale in the www.clasificadosonline.com website... there you will find just about anything! (some new, some used).

Rey thank you!!! I thought this forum would be quick and helpful, but that was lightning. I already have friended them on Facebook, I appreciate it a lot.

MAC, thanks for the link, both Mek and I have been scowering clasificados like crazy. Homes and food trucks, tons of options we just have to wait to see them once we are on the island.

We are attempting to do a farmstay on the island for the first month, volunteer as a work trade program to get grounded and understand the island a bit before we just sign a lease and buy a truck. It gives us a bit more time to really figure out the base city we want to be, and best cities to work on permits for on the west side. We are having some difficulty contacting and getting response from hosting farms with availability. Any suggestions?

We recently heard from Mark, who is a member on this forum as well about his farm options which sound beautiful.

Lafinca,
I get an email on every post done on the PR forum so I try to answer any info request if I have at least part of the answer.
If I don't post I am sleep or have no answer.
Glad to help.

We will be looking at long-term rental of at last 8-9 months. Where should we start for rentals?

catmando wrote:

We will be looking at long-term rental of at last 8-9 months. Where should we start for rentals?

I would start here: http://www.clasificadosonline.com/Rentals.asp
Select the town and see whats available.
Not sure how familiar you are with the island or the language but this may help some: http://welcome.topuertorico.org/exploring.shtml

Welcome to the forum and to the island soon,

You need become familiar with the island before you make the jump so you can live the way you want to live. With 78 towns there is plenty of differences experiences and style of living to select from.

Catmando: where do you want to rent? When do you want to start renting? How big of a place do you need? What are you willing to pay?

I know next to nothing about PR but I've been looking on the west coast around Cabo Rojo. If the price is right and the beaches are nice I would consider anywhere on the west coast.

I think after your tourist season this year we would come down and check out the west coast.

We have a 4/2/2 with 2000sqft on 1/2 ac now. We would like to get a 2/2 rental as close to a beach as possible. We don't need a big lot but we would also like to get close to town if possible.

I think $500/mo is a reasonable top rent.

We have two dogs. What are the procedures for getting them down there? We don't want to board them here b/c it would be way too expensive and we will not surrender them to a shelter.

Closed