New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourself here – 1st quarter of 2017

Hi Bob, thank you for your email. My husband and I plan on living in the Punta Cana area. My husband is originally from the DR - El Seibo - so we have a little more going for us when we make our move. However, neither of us have experience with purchasing real estate in the DR, legal matters or private healthcare there and me being the planner type, I am very interested in the experiences and info other expats have that will give me/us a leg up when our time to move arrives.    We live in South Jersey about 1 hour east of Philadelphia.  What area of Jersey did you live in? I have lived in NJ my entire life.

Welcome to the forums!   You are a planner,  hmmmm  join the club  LOL.  That is the only way to go,  get as much info ahead of time as you can. Read and read and read the forums. And then ask questions.

Have you been to PC as a non tourist before.  If not you need to come and "live" in the PC area to see if it fits for you.  It is a very touristy area and not a real "Dominican" experience.

We grew up in north Jersey (Rockaway township/Dover area) but did spend the summers in south Jersey on long beach island (beach haven) for many years.

We  have been living here in the DR full time for 11 years now.

Bob K

LBI is just a great area. We live about an hour from there in Medford.

My husband and I have spent a lot of time over the past many years in different areas of the DR, including Punta Cana. As a matter of fact, we are getting ready for our semi-annual 3 week trip to the DR at the end of May to visit my husband's large and extended family. 

As far as I am concerned, I would like to live in an​ area that consists of expats and Dominicans​. Being close to the beach is also important to me.  Once we decide to relocate to the DR, we plan on renting a place for at least 6 months to get a real feel for where we would like to settle.

Take care.

Sounds like a good plan!

You are doing it right.  If you find yourself on the north coast let me know and we can meet if two want.

Bob K

Sounds good. Thanks for the offer!!

Hi, im esteban from Santo domingo, looking for a friends.! Lets talk

Welcome to the forums Esteban.  While you may get to know people here we are more of an i formation site and exchange of info. Sometimes we have get togethers. Maybe you would.like to organize one in Santo Domingo?

Yes, how ? Can you explain me pls?

I will send you a private message!

Hi All,

Marion and Mike from Fort Worth, TX.

We are just starting this project and know there is much to do! We have a rough timeline of about two years before we would actually make the move.

We are over 50 and looking to slow down ... way down ... and live close to the sea. After much research, the DR (Las Terrenes ... potentially) is our first choice to conduct a real investigation and plan.

We do intend to earn money to maintain a modest lifestyle while living in our new home country ... but definitely as a part-time effort. It will most likely involve internet based income, but we are not sure yet. I (Mike) have been a computer consultant and software developer for 30 years ... so its in my wheelhouse but we don't yet know the reality of the network infrastructure in the seaside villages.

We speak no Spanish but are committed to becoming fluent and will be able to understand and converse with rudimentary competency within 2 years. 

We are going to continue reading this treasure trove of information and will most certainly be asking questions as we progress.

Thank you all very much for providing this resource. It has been excellent so far!

Welcome to expat.com.

There is a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips in these forums.

Welcome.  Good folks and good info here.  Read, read and read some more and ask questions you may have.
Have you been here before?  Before making any decisions come and spend a few months living as "non tourist" as the DR is not for everyone.  Explore different areas of the country before deciding on "home"
Good luck in  your adventure and do keep us posted

Bob K

I will add my welcome. Sounds like you are on track and have a plan!!!

Hi my name is Michelle and I am planning on moving to the Sosua area in November with my two girls, starting life over at almost 50. I have done a lot of research and I feel that Sosua is a great affordable place to live and enjoy the beach life. I am just in the planning stages and have lots of questions and this has been a great resource for answering some of them. I plan on making this a permanent move and would like information on how and what I need to do and what is best way to do it.

Welcome to you!!!! Lots and lots of info here honey. Read and ask your questions as needed!!!!

Welcome. Have you been to the sosua area before?  Have  you been to the DR before? Are you planning on working here?  Are you kids of school age?
Lots of information here.  Read the multiple threads on moving, living and life here as well as how to go about getting your residency.
Feel free to ask any questions as you go a long.

Bob K

Hi, I'm Jacquie. I am very excited to be arriving in Las Terrenas from Canada, the end of July, staying for 6 months to discover if I want to move there permanently. I would like to know if there are any clubs or organizations that I can join in order to make new friendships. Any suggestions?

Welcome.  Not any organized groups that I know of but  I am down the coast a bit from you.  There are folks here from that area and I am sure they will be along to give you some ideas.

Bob K

I second that welcome,   not any clubs that I am aware of in that area but just find the coffee shop that expats frequent and you will be good to go!

Thanks for the info.

I have not actually been to the DR yet, I have been to Haiti several times and I help with a school there so I am choosing the DR after researching and talking to lots of people it seem like a good fit for what I am looking for. I do have school age girls, another reason I like the Sosua area it has a great school although it is expensive. I am not sure I will be working if I do it will be something on a part-time basis.

You definitely  want to visit, nothing replaces actually being here!

I will be visiting the first part of October to look for housing and I guess I can back out at that point before I make to official move in November. I know it is a big leap but I have been planning on doing it and the timing is about about a year sooner than I was expecting so I am just going to do it.  I have lived in several different states and Korea for a time, and I am ready to live by the beach and have a simpler lifestyle.

Wishing you all the best! Do as.much research as you can and prepare!

Good luck.  I still would plan on spending some time here before "making the move"

Bob K

I'm not moving, just staying for 6 months to try it out.

Sorry mountainmama I was directing that comment to Mlg007

Bob K

Hi, my name is Beth. My cousin Brenda and I are moving to Sosua in June. We are renting for 2 months while we look for a villa to purchase. I am a hairdresser and I'm planning to work after getting residency. From what I understand there is a need for expat hairdressers. Is that so???

Welcome to you. Yes we need some expat hairdressers.  I am still struggling. 

You may want to rent a bit longer, teally make sure this is gor you.

Working as a hairdresser, work from home or go to your clients. Working in a "salon" wont make you much money.

Baboyer welcome.  Yes do plan on renting a bit longer before you purchase anything, just to make sure.
Yes a good hairdresser will do well in the expat community here.  There are only a couple and they are very busy.  My wife has spent 10 years trying to find someone.

Bob K

AHOY   ;  New  to this ... Presently  In  Santa Barbara Ca.  Very Nice TOO  Expensive ....  Retired  Tug Boat Engineer ..I am . A  Country  , small Town Boy... at   Heart..  Born In  Puerto Padre Cuba  1956 ; American Father And Cuban Lady ,  We Escaped 1960 ,, Been travelling ever  Since,,,,  Dads Family Tobacco / Tree Farm  North Carolina ; then Costa Rica ;  Columbia ( Dad was Peace Corp Director ; Great Childhood.   . Looking  A  Nice safe mountain   Hamlet . Primitive Conditions  Fine  by  Me.  away  from Tourist / crime  ..   I  Speak   Fluent  Spanish  And can Fix / Build Most Things . ie  generators / Pumps / Autos  etc.  ( for Example  I'd  build  A Fuel Alcohol  Still. since Fuel is Expensive ) And  Be  A  Helpful Asset  to The  Locals... Just  Starting research ..  I  definitely   want  to  be in Mountains , 4-5000 Feet High  and relatively close  to some  Expats. Proud US Patriot ... so In  my  Travels I Learned  to Listen Closely To  Local Guides   & fellow travelers....
  I have  Considered  Volunteering  with " Church / Humanitarian  Outfit "  to  Help Out  and  let  the Lord  Guide  Me... 
   I  ReMain  Joe   >  On The  Road  >>>>>

Welcome and that is quite a story of life so far. I am not sure what you are asking.  Are you interested in relocating to the DR?  Have you been here before?  Yes there are mountain communities about that may meet your needs.

Bob K

Welcome!!! Sounds like you could find a home here. Come on down and check it out!!!

But honey, no fuel stills, that will get you in deep doo doo!! Lol

Hi everyone!!

My wife and I are considering buying a vacation property on the north shore, through our research I stumbled on this forum and have learned so much by all those posting thank you so much. We are looking to do things in mini stages 1st looking at more of a vacation property and use it to explore more of the different areas of the north coast, if we like it we would consider moving there in retirement. I have a few questions and if I missed the answers in other posts please make note of which ones I should address.

1) real estate broker or land property/developer?? are you gonna get a better deal with one over the other? no new build for us we want turn key.

2) Gated communities like Casa Linda over Condo's closer to the beach, we want a rental option for our property when not there. As mush as we would prefer a villa would condo not be the stronger choice for repeat rentals?

3) Areas, I have not heard much on the life style in Perla Marina, are there stores there and an active community like Sosua and Cabarete. or is it a bit more low-key the low-key portion preferred.

any assistance or recommend reading is appreciated!

Thank You!

Troy

First welcome to the forum read read read a.lot of what you are asking is here.

Feel free to copy.and paste this into your own thread. We tey to keep this for quick introd and welcome!

Thanks!!!

Welcome.  Open this in a new thread and I will have lots of info for you as I have lived in the area your are thinking about for 11 years.
We try to keep this thread just for introductions.

Bob K

Will do Bob and Planner!!!

Thank you,

Troy

Thank you Troy

Closed