Manila 'newcomer' would like to make connections

My namne is Art Williams.  I'm coming to Manila on the second or third week of March and would like to make some connections.

As background.

I've been teaching English in S.Korea for 3.5 years and I've had enough so I'm moving.  I've heard some good things about the Philippines so I'd like to see it.

I'm also going to be spending some focused time on starting an internet business.

Probably the only reason I picked Manila rather than another area of the country is because I hear that's the only place in the Philippines where there's any Salsa dancing going on.  It seem strange to me that the Salsa scene there is so thin.....i.e. in Seoul we've got over 10 great clubs.

My first major concern about Manila is in finding an economical place to stay and I'd appreciate any help or advice on that. 

I had picked a budget of around 16,000 to 17,000 pesos a month but some of my sources say that's too low.  I, of course, don't know. 

All I need is someplace to sleep, shower and work on the internet.  It doesn't have to be huge or even large or in a trendy area. I can seek adventure 'off campus' :-)

Matter of fact, I could commit to at least two months of renting a room in somebody else's place.  I don't drink or smoke or do drugs and I don't whore around (although I'm not gay and I do like women).  I am a Christian but I don't flaunt it.

This forum looks nice. I'll be spending more time here.  Meanwhile, feel free to gimme a call or Skype or email.

Best regards,
Art Williams
wanderingsalsero.net
cp: (82) 10 5822 2277
email: [email protected]

hi art just send you a private message regarding your stay in Manila.

regards,

Ruth

Hi Art Williams, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

check out the listings on craigslist. plenty of places to stay in your budget.

if you intend on making a living teaching salsa, have to ask yourself how much can you expect to earn when most people are just surviving. and you will have visa issues.

thailand will have similar issues, but RP at least english will get you by. Singapore has a thriving salsa scene, but then have lots of competition as well.

Hi there Art
Welcome to the forum and to The Philippine.As the saying goes "Its more fun in The Philippines".Me and my filipino wife ( Lani) live in a town called General Trias which is not far from Dasmarinas City.We have a few businesses.Our house which is on a compound has its own Water Station ( Purified & Mineral)plus we also have an Internet Shop as well.We are both Christians and attend the local Baptist Church.
Anyway,if you would like to reply,then please do
Take care & God Bless
Regards
Neil & Lani Slade