Is the park safe?

Hi everyone, there's a lovely park just down the road from where I live. I usually get home at around 7 p.m and prefer walking outside compared to a treadmill. Is the park safe to walk in at night? It seems very unlit. It's just next to the white buliding that looks like a morph between the US Capitol and the White House near the Odel mall. Thanks.

I do the same in the same park I guess, its Biharamadevi park. To me so far it seemed safe from experience of last 2 months.

Hello Sylvia,
I believe you're referring to the park opposite Town Hall!!? Yeah, it's pretty much looks like the Capitol Hill or perhaps the White House! :) Well, it's not too bad in terms of safety, but of course if it's after seven in the eve. yeah you're right.. although it's part of the city centre unfortunately at times you might notice it's not lit as much as it should be.. so it's pretty much a ‘coin throw'!
In that case, I would strongly recommend Torrington Sq. (which is also known as ‘independence sq.) that is just around the corner from where you live also the Odel mall.. probably just 10 minutes walk!
Well, I totally agree with ya thoughts on ‘walking outside compared to the gym.. Well, I find it the same way.. pretty much boring compared been able to breathe some fresh-air!
Enjoy!

Cheers!

Sean

Sean and vnchd....thanks for the input. I'm at the gym right now and can't get over sri lanka's fascination with cricket! Its all they're showing on the tvs here.

ha ha!! ;)
Tell me about it..!! I'm with you on that completely.. that's one solid reason to hit ‘outdoors'!!
Anyways you're most welcome!
It's my pleasure..

Cheers!

I'm going to explore that park over the weekend :)

Have fun! :)

You are welcome Sylvia.
Yes the cricket fever is on. This part of the world its almost synonymous to religion.
Have a good day

It sure seems to be akin to religion for most Sri Lankans I've met.:) like football and bsseball are fervently followed where I come from.do you use the park to vnchnd?

Hi Sylvia , yes Cricket craze here is much like baseball/football in US. Well , I feel in India the craze of cricket is at even higher height :)
Yeap almost everyday I am in the park. Other than strolling around there I enjoy much watching thousands of bats going out of home for work :), while crows coming back for rest, every evening. It's amazing !! Same tree they are sharing just splitting time .........

Mother natures time-share plan. Would love to see that myself.

Should be coming to join you guys soon and is looking forward to running and walking in the parks.. Good reading about the cricket though I am not a fan.

There's just the one park and then there's a promenade called Galle face. Sean mentioned another place where people 'power-walk' called Independence Square and I passed by there and it's alright. But if you're into running then the park I mentioned and Galle Face are a better option. However the treadmill at Hilton is what I've been using since of late as vehicle emissions at galle face are a real turn off and the park isn't too safe by the time I get home.

Why don't you enjoy the Hilton Gym and if you want fresh air Mount beach in the morning is the best.

Hello omlalith -> To note that this thread is old (2011). ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie