Living in Fiji

You are living in Fiji, or you used to live in Fiji.

Share your experience!

How would you describe life in Fiji?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find an accommodation and a job?

Is it complicated to make friends in Fiji?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Fiji?

Thanks in advance for your participation

Hello,
I am a french amateur of botanical sciences and very interested by the flora of Fiji, overall some plants which appear without interest, but which come from very high degre of evolution with ant.
I am looking fot contact with person living in Fiji, intersted by plant or anybody who can help me to find contact in Fiji...
Thank's a lot

Hi,

if you're looking for contacts in Fiji, the expat network Fiji can help ;)

The University of the South Pacific in Suva is probably your best hope of finding a plant expert.  I know there are a few here.  Sorry I don't have any names.

John (Rakiraki, Fiji)
PS:  We definately have ants! :-)

John,

This is Chris Elliott. My wife and 17 year old homeschooled daughter, would like to find a island home. We make our living off the net and have enough money to meet the residency requirements.

I have a few questions: The current government any causes for concerns? Do the locals like Americans, or are they tired of Americans? Is it safe for a 17 year old girl?

Thanks much.

Chris Elliott

[email protected]

Hi Chris,

My name is Barb and I have been there two times. Really love it there. Last Christmas, our whole family went. It was the kids first time. 17 (boy) and 15 (girl), I had had some photos that I had brought also in hopes that I could get them to some of the islanders I had met while I had been backpacking there back in the college days (80's) Anyway, to make a long story short and to get back to your question; it seems like most Fiji natives really like Americans/foreigners as it helps the economy.
We had the opportunity to actually go back to the island that I had visited and drop off the photos. One family I had actually stayed with were so grateful. We were able to help them finish there house (Yassawa Group of islands) and were asking them a lot of questhions. A home on there island cost them aprox $13, 000 FD when we were there a year back, now there is also expat communities. One for sure is Koro Island, and while I am sure ther are very nice homes, they seem really expensive to me. I have seen some really good deals in the local newspapers etc..
My husband has concerns such as yours with the freehold land.
He's not sure about buying a permanent spot there but we do LOVE it. Living in Fijji is our idea of a tropical retirement. Find me on Facebook and I could send you some photos, otherwise, that Koro Island is also on FB and they have a pretty good community sounds like.
Take care!
Last thing, as far as safety, I did not feel unsafe at all while there, however, there were advisories not to walk the beach after dark etc...but I think that was because of the wild dogs? :)
When is your family thinking of going?

Barb Pelton from Minnesota

Hi Chris,

I'll answer your questions but first want to say that Fiji offers several good alternatives for an expat, depending on your priorities. Most 'Europeans' (as all white people are called) and other foreigners live in the capital, Suva, or near Nadi.  Those places are very westernized and have good internet. Other expats prefer a more rural environment and settle in places like Savusavu and Rakiraki.  Most Eurpeans here are from New Zealand and Australia.

Overall, the current government in Fiji is okay.  They have the right vision, and have reduced curruption and inefficiencies in many departments.  Still, most people would prefer than laws get made by elected officials. 

The people here are generally very welcoming and genuinely friendly. No negatives on Americans except that some people (taxi drivers, etc.) will sometimes try to charge you more than a fair price -- overall no problem.

Fiji is a relatively safe place.  Like anywhere else, one must use common sense.  I wouldn't advise a 17 year old girl to walk alone at night in the major towns, or to accept an invitation to drink beer with a bunch of boys.

I recommend renting an apartment for a month or two in Suva and using that place as a base to visit other places in Fiji where you might want live.

John
john at outdoorplace dot org

Bula Chris.

I live in Savusavu, "The Hidden Paradise" and wouldn;t live anywhere else in Feejee. There is much freehold land here, a strong expat community mainly American, Kiwi and Kangaroo with a few Germans). I own a house here and feel secure in doing so.

Yes Fiji is safe for young people, altho the local bars are to be avoided by a young girl unless she's in trusted company, even then midnight sees alcohol fuelled fights etc. As previously said, use common sense.

I would avoid Suva and Nadi if I were you, they are dirty, noisy cities and the whole reason for living in Fiji is for the lifestyle. Taveuni and Koro also have expat communities, but no electricity and are just a little bit out of the way for my taste.

Best thing to do is come and check it our for yourselves!

Moce  J-9

J9
Just checking your opinion:

I would like you to elaborate on this a bit more.

"Taveuni and Koro also have expat communities, but no electricity and are just a little bit out of the way for my taste."

If we move to Fiji, I want to make sure it's safe , secure...all that. Is Koro full of mostly [part timers?)

Thanks,
Brab

Does anyone know much about Kadavu? I was thinking about moving there.

hi i am also looking at living in Fiji can you tell me about the process and how i might gain a visa or permit?
i am also a qualified teacher and would like to find a teaching job in Fiji can you reccommened what i could do?

thank you Melissa

Melissa,

It's best to visit here for a few months as a tourist (no visa for 4 months if you're a U.S. citizen).  You will find it much easier to find an employer once you are here, instead of from overseas.

The requirements for a work permit are described on this web page: 
http://www.fijiembassydc.com/default.asp?contentID=525

One convenient way to get adjusted to Fiji is to teach in Fiji as a Peace Corps volunteer.  You can't choose your country, but you do list your preferences and PC admin tries to meet it.

To reside in Fiji without working, see this page:
http://www.fijiembassydc.com/default.asp?contentID=531

John

thank you john for your help really appreciated

Bula Barb. I looked for you on facebook, but had sooo many of you I gave up! You can always contact me thru korosundive.com or [email protected] 

Sorry this reply is so late, I don't come on here very often....

My views are from my prespective and thru my experience. I have been here over 3 years now and don;t want to live anywhere else. I LOVE Savusavu - the people, the climate, the seascape and landscape....it's just a magic place to live and laugh, and live and laugh you do!! But bear in mind we're all different and have varying views and expectations and wants and desires. I recommend you come for several months at a time and see if you can cope with life here. It is certainly not for everyone. Some come and very quickly go...whereas my man and I came on holiday and basically never left!

Re: Koro & Taveuni do have expat communities. Not all part-timers, some great permanent residents and if we hook up I can give you email contact of friends who have property/residences there and can give a better insight. I have been to Taveuni, but never koro, just going by what friends tell us about it.

The thought of generators only and, esp for Koro, such limited supply and transport issues, just turns me off. I like that Savusavu is off the beaten track, but we do have the services to meet most of our Kaivalagi (people from afar) needs. In fact Savusavu is booming atm in spite of few tourists - we in the last few months have a deli, an accountant, a florist, a beauticians, 2x upgraded MH supermarkets, new rubbish bins, more sealed roads...OMG, the progress has been stupendous this year!!!
Iam actually hoping not too much more is achieved as we moved here for the rustic/rural thing, not a cosmopolitan lifestyle!

It is very safe in Savusavu. I have never had any fears for my safety. Unfortunately theft is a problem in any place you live in feejee. We live with an amazing ocean view quite remote from others...we have had at least 16 episodes of burglary in the last 2 years. The BIG crimes have been solved, but to know you're watching TV and having your bedroom searched and handbag, phone, digital camera etcetc taken, then go to bed and the lounge is ransacked in the same evening is not a nice feeling. Also to have people in your house while you are sleeping is not nice. The invasion of personal space is the worst aspect of it all. In saying that most of the crimes committed were by 3 people, all inter-related, and all three have been caught, charged and imprisoned. Same sorts of things happen nationally, but are not felt by everyone... I reckon we must have unknowigly painted a target on the side of the house!!!

It is only a few who soil the nest,but it seems Taveuni and Koro have a very high incidence of theft (more than Savusavu), heresay,  and although disparaging, the good things about living in feejee outweigh the bad :O)

At nite I have walked the streets and beaches (golly that soundz sleazy!!!) of Savusavu, Suva and Nadi on my own with no probs. Young girls need to be astute and stay away from grog and booze sessions and bars - just usual common sense for young girls. Also, an immunity to the compliments from the men is advised! It's not you, it's your colour and accent - you represent a way out of fiji to earn the $ or be supported by your wealthy Kaivalagi wife. I had 17 offers of marriage in my first month in feejee - and I was 38!

Feel free to make contact for more info...

Moce J-9

Thanks so much for the info!
Yes, look me up on Fb or I can look you up too.
I will write more later, been out of town and getting some work for home done.
bp :)

Hi,

I have a few questions I am 19 almost 20 with a 1 year old daughter, I am getting married in september 2011. and in 2012 me and my soon to be husband want to start living in fiji for 3-6 months starting in june. probably 3 or 4..

but

how could I do this. we're not rich at all and have no credit right now, he works 40 hours a week at a factory. but I would love to do this.

I want to rent or lease to own a place. If I were to lease to own a home. I would want to rent it out while we are back in ohio.

but how can we do this financially. It would be a dream come true but it seems so impossibe!!!

is there any condo's for lease to own or homes that are not expensive and affordable. do they do the whole good credit thing there?

how hard would this be? any advice?

If you are U.S. citizens, you can reside in Fiji for up to 4 months on a visitor visa.  I recommend this because staying longer requires a residency visa and it's a hassle.  If you want to stay longer, you might leave on a short flight to Tonga or somewhere and return for up to another 4 months.

You can get safe and mostly nice 2 bedroom apartments on Viti Levu (the main island) for less than $300 U.S. per month.  It will NOT be on the seashore, though.

No credit check-ups here, but everything is cash up-front.  No credit, no personal checks.  Rent is paid in advance, sometimes with the last month's rent up-front also.

It's a nice place.

John (Rakiraki, Fiji)

thank you, that would be a good idea to just stay for 3 or 4 months that would work great for me.

If I were to go there how could I find someone to show us around? and would there be anything important that I shouldn't forget to bring?

Do you plan on working while there?

not working but maybe volunteering, and just renting a home for like 3 months or so. I live in ohio, and I have never been out of the country, so im a little nervouse to do this but I think it would be a wounderful experiance

daverobinson.id.au/Fijiprep.html

Check out this site too. I like to do some separate research but sometimes just going for it is good. The 1st time I went, I stayed almost 2 months with little money no husband or kids. Last time, we had no agenda (husband and two older teens. We had a great time. I love hearing from the expats that live there now as they are livining it 1st hand. Good luck with your plans and I look forward to hearing about your progress:)
Barb

Thank you, I will definatlly post back on this with updates, even though I don't plan on going to fiji until the summer of 2012 because my wedding is in Sep. 2011 and I need to get a lot done here. My main obsticle now is finding a job that allows me the freedom to leave for 2-3 months a year.because I know this is something I will want to do every year and work from a computer. If you have any advice for that I would appritiate it. right now finding a job like that just seems so impossible.

Hello every1

What if i open a restaurant and a gym in Nadi? Any chance i can get a permanent visa for me and my wife?

I have found this:

Elegibility:

A minimum deposit placement of FJ$150,000 and maintain the deposit in Fiji for a minimum of 2 years for those aged 50 years and below.

here: ftib.org.fj/pages.cfm/for-investors/why-invest-in-fiji/incentives-1.html

Hello AlanMcJ,

I think you are a bit offtopic in this thread. May be you shall start a new discussion!

Regards

Ok Yud sorry,
i ll do that..

try and make new friends..Fiji is a nice place to be in i tell you...

I would like to move to Tonga and work....is it possible to find work in Tonga at this time?

Hello..I have recently got an offer in the University in Suva for teaching..but I have no idea about the country living standard , living cost etc... Im with my husband and my son 2.5 yrs old...so is it saver to work n live there in Suva....hw abt the cost of living..rent for house..medical standards for kids specially...
cheers....

Hello Lakshani,

There are a lot of expats teaching at USP and doing fine on their salary.  Medical care in Suva is good, and there are good schools specifically for international students (children of expats).   Living standards for professionals is also good. Housing costs vary greatly, so difficult to give advice.  Furnished housing is often available for expats on contracts that are only a few years.

I recommend that you browse the Facebook page for Suva Expats and ask specific questions there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/suvaexpats/
(if this forum doesn't allow direct links, log onto Facebook and search for the group 'Suva Expats')

There are a lot of Sri Lankans here (judges, business execs).  Hindi is widely spoken, but English is the official language.

"Seattle to Suva" is also a good blog you may want to check out,

Hi jcaldeira..thank you for your reply. I have no idea about the country. It's good to hear about schools and health because of our son, thank you. So how about the monthly cost for 1 bed housing near city limit any range of prices and is there Asian foods available in supermarkets. My contract is also for 3 years. Thank you I will browse FB page. Yeah I have heard about the Sri Lankan judges over there. Thanks again.

Hi Lakshani,

A good furnished apartment can be rented for between $1000 and $2000 FJ per month.  Luxury will cost more.  Cheaper is available, but you would be compromising on quality, neighborhood, etc.  (1 FJ$ = $1.75 USD)

Rental housing is advertised in the two major English language newspapers in their Saturday editions.  Here is a link to one paper's online version:

The general link: classifieds.fijitimes.com/
Specifically for last Saturday: classifieds.fijitimes.com/class.aspx?cid=26&date=2014-02-22

Indian foods and spices are plentiful here.  There is one good Chinese food store in Suva, but some Chinese foods are also available in major supermarkets in Suva and Nadi.  Most Asian fruits are here, but a few are rare (Rambutan, Mangosteen, Durian).

John

Hi John, thank you very much for your information on accommodation and will check the link given. So how about charges for utilities power, water, telephone, internet, etc. I'm just worried about the spices stuff as Sri Lankan we are used to that.. :) . Seems you are more familiar with Sri Lankan fruits. So how about safety in Suva with different people, nations, cultures, religions, etc.
If known to you how about construction industry there. My husband is a qualified quantity surveyor and planning to find an employment in construction over there. 
Apologies, for asking bunch of questions at once. Thank you again.

hello all,

i am anushree. i want to move there for job. as fiji is a lonely planet, how frequent does earthquake or tsunami or natural calamity occures. i came to know from google that tsunami and earthquake are very frequent.

kindly suggest..

anushree.d1 wrote:

hello all,

i am anushree. i want to move there for job. as fiji is a lonely planet, how frequent does earthquake or tsunami or natural calamity occures. i came to know from google that tsunami and earthquake are very frequent.

kindly suggest..

You must be joking.  Try Googling again.  How many Fijians have died from tsunamis and earthquakes?

Bula, I know this is a very old post, but in the interests of anyone reading it looking for the similar answers... I can say that kids are very safe in Fiji.  In fact, I have never felt safer in a different country, than Fiji.  I would suggest though you take certain precautions:
-Don't be flashy with your jewellery, attire
-Don't carry your ipad, iPhone etc in an obvious manner
-Try to integrate with the locals, you will have a herd of people looking out for you
-Don't leave toys (for big or old eg. skateboards, bikes, scooters etc) lying around in your yard for easy picking
-Be safety conscious - ie. Lock your doors and windows when out, find a house that has security bars etc

Honestly, in all my time living in Suva, I heard of expats being robbed - I experienced it twice - but I would say that it was my fault on both occasions for dropping my guard. However, being robbed is different to violence.  I would say the people doing the robbing, aren't in it for violence.

I have actually written a blog post on safety in Suva for expats. ***

To anyone moving to Fiji soon - it's AWESOME!  E N J OY!!!

Regards
Somer :)

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : please submit your blog post in the blogs directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct