Teaching Salary in Kuwait

Good day everyone! I received already my contract from my employer. I'm from Philippines and I wonder how much is the monthly salary of a primary teacher? Age range of students are from 2-11. Please help. Thank you.

Packages vary from school to school; bi-lingual, ethnic, international, government.

If you share the details of your offer we can help by telling you if it's a good one for Kuwait.

That's great. Well, I received my contract just this week. The school where I'm going to work is The English Playgroup. I applied as a pre-school teacher. They offering me 220 Kuwaiti Dinar plus food allowance and free transportation and accommodation.

I looked at other forums, none of the expats enjoyed working in Kuwait, many quit as soon as they could. I also knew a British who has family back in Kuwait, he described Kuwaiti as very narrow-minded and arrogant. So good luck to you.

shell,

Don't put too much into what samsam says, he's a Malaysian who has moved to England, never been in Kuwait and seems he gets his information in "other forums".

I have met Pinoys that have been here more than 18 years, others almost as long.  I've met Westerners that have been here for more than a decade.  And these are sane people, that I know. Obviously, some people can "hack" Kuwait, while others cannot.

I can't tell you specifically because I teach in a different environment than you do, but it seems your package is reasonable, based on what I know Pinays make in other countries.  The food, transport and accommodation allowances are key - as that's the expensive part about living here.

Have you chatted with any other Pinoys that are working in your field, perhaps on that big Pinoy OFW website?

I was a teacher here and unfortunately the salary is based on your nationality rather than your experience.

From what i hear from other Pinoy teachers, your offer seems a pretty good one. How many years of experience you have?

MisterStretch is right, you shouldn't put much into what I said since I never live in Kuwait in my life.

moh05 is right, in most places of the world, your pay is based on your nationality (actually it more about colour of your skin).

Maybe the following articles can reveal more about culture of this country, there are a lot more similar reviews on internet;

1) Kuwait Culture Shock Replies
http://www.internationalschoolsreview.c … eplies.htm

2) An expat teacher's musings on life in Kuwait
https://www.justlanded.co.uk/english/Ku … ll-written

3) Survey said Kuwait is the worst country for expats
http://248am.com/mark/news/survey-revea … or-expats/

MisterStretch has the "right" nationality and colour, plus he is a very lucky person, hence he found the work life in Kuwait great and gorgeous, good for him. But it doesn't mean you will be treated the same way, certainly not by Gulf people who generally look down on others with "wrong" (darker) colour. I have been to Qatar and Dubai several times, I simply cannot accept the fact they treated the local South Asian workers as slaves, and  Filipino as dispensable mistresses. My Qatari friends told me Kuwaiti is worse.

Anyway, like what MisterStretch suggested, you should seek advice from your Filipino friends who are currently working in Kuwait and make your decision accordingly. Wish you good luck.

nice offer

is there any other vacancy available at the pre school for female teachers?

Hi teacher shell, did you have a schedule flights to epg kuwait? I am still waiting for my visa and then will do the final medical...good for you have already the contract

teachershellsss wrote:

That's great. Well, I received my contract just this week. The school where I'm going to work is The English Playgroup. I applied as a pre-school teacher. They offering me 220 Kuwaiti Dinar plus food allowance and free transportation and accommodation.

I don't want to disappoint you but 220 kd is not a good salary. Though they have given good perks, but you would still need to spend from 220 on dining out and shopping and other activitues. But of course you know better about your life style and as how much you can save. Good luck and welcome to kuwait

I am not a teacher, but 220kd even on a pinoy lifestyle is not much. Have a question though, does the contract says 'teacher' or 'assistant teacher'. Because schools here don't usually hire filipinos as teacher, most of us always ends up as assistants. I have applied to several pre-schools in my area part-time and I was asked bluntly, 'What is your nationality?' That was very disappointing for me, and so racist that I didn't bother to pursue it. I have done a part-time on another school, well, more like after school class. And yes, I was paid less than the others, when I did more than what was asked of me. Some teachers just comes and goes, while I even do extra activities like decorate the classroom and stuff. When I found out, I simply quit.
Anyways, good luck to you.

Just so you know, I was paid 60kd for a 3X a week interaction/play/craft/arts with the kids for 3 hours, while this one american guy was paid 150kd for a twice a week exercise for 1 hour.

tin78 wrote:

Just so you know, I was paid 60kd for a 3X a week interaction/play/craft/arts with the kids for 3 hours, while this one american guy was paid 150kd for a twice a week exercise for 1 hour.

This appears discriminatory, if the guy was doing the same work with the same skill set

snow-rain wrote:
tin78 wrote:

This appears discriminatory, if the guy was doing the same work with the same skill set

I put in more hours,and after hours. Sometimes I stayed 30mins longer to do room decorations.

Yes, many Kuwaitis are - but it's important to remember that there are more foreigners in Kuwait than Kuwaitis! Lot of wonderful people live in Kuwait!

Every society has bad and good people, no exception. To be fair, overall Kuwait is a good country and that's why we are here 😊

I know many VERY kind Kuwaitis, and I know many despicably mean and disrespectful Kuwaitis, and I realize this is a reality in every culture.  However, I have to admit, I had more negative experiences with unkind Kuwaitis than I did with the kinder and "more aware" Kuwaitis. Yes, I am grateful for the chance to work in Kuwait, but too many times I had Kuwaitis cut in front of me in line, drive past me in their fast cars and nearly run me off the road, speak harshly to me - and, very sadly, have their children be given to a nanny who gave those children more time and love then their mothers ever did.

The following is an example of one of the worst experiences, and yet, one of the best experiences, I had when dealing with Kuwaitis.

Once I saw a German Shepherd locked in a black SUV, in front of my apartment building, in the middle of the summer - with no water and no windows opened. So, I started screaming for the owner to come out. When no one came, I went to get a hammer, and once again, I began screaming fully intent of breaking the windows if it was necessary to save the dog. Finally, the Kuwaiti owner of the car came out, and he began telling me all sorts of stories - it wasn't too hot, the dog had water (all that was visible were empty, plastic water bottles), the dog was worthless, the dog was sick, etc.. At that point, I offered to take the dog to the veterinarian (Lord! I love the Filipino vets in Kuwait!) and to pay to help the dog to get better. The Kuwaiti agreed (was it all about the money?). So, I took the dog to a great vet who said the dog was suffering from severe dehydration and could have died. I then paid the bill, and I immediately called a very kind Kuwait student I taught, and whom I knew LOVED German Shepherds, as he had many of them at his family's farm. I explained the situation to him, and he immediately contacted a family member who came a couple of hours later and took the dog to safety. And, no, the first Kuwaiti NEVER returned for his dog.

So, I think this is an example of both the kindness and the lack of empathy of not just Kuwaitis, but, sadly, many other people in the world.

I honestly think what makes Kuwait such a wonderful place to live are the many hundreds and thousands of people (millions?), especially from the poorer, non GCC Arab countries, and of course the filipinos (most Filipinos I have met love animals, too), who live and work in Kuwait. I feel completely blessed to be able to live and work in Kuwait again. Because I have lived abroad for over 13 years, I have more friends in Kuwait, and mostly Muslim, than anywhere else on this planet. Alhamdulilah!!

Hi tin78,
Where do u work now ? How many years of expereince with kids ?
Would u like oart time job ?

I'm sorry, I am no longer in Kuwait.

Hi teachershell. I would like to ask feedback about the job that was offered to you last year? The same school also interviewed me last week and the agency told me that I qualified and same offer was given but I'm still doubting if I would take it or not since I'm in a secure position here in the Philippines as public grade school teacher. Thank you in advance!

Hi evryone  just want to ask about a job in kuwait about school helper? Can anybody know or tell me what they do? And how much salary?thanks 😊

Salary is based on nationality and ethnicity - only in a few times are Filipinos given a good deal - and I hate that this is true.

My flatmate is one of the few Filipinas I know who was hired as a teacher - as usually Filipinas are hired as assistants even if they are degreed. However, the principal of the school had to fight with the owners to accept her and give her housing - and having housing is a great perk - however, she was made to buy her own Civil ID, and that cost her 300KD, and she could only buy a Civil ID as a maid. By the way, she was Head of her Department when she was teaching in the Philipines, and she is smart as a whip. Living in Kuwait is outrageously expensive, and $250 KD wouldn't last long. Most Filipinas share housing - some even pay just to have a corner in someone's living room or bedroom, and this is because housing has greatly increased over the last few years.

The Filipinos who make it here are the ones who have connections and/or family members. IF you know someone in Kuwait, you might be able to make it on $250/month - my flatmate gets 300KD/month, and her family mainly provides her transportation and help. Also, if you come, you need to be SURE you are NOT given a Domestic Visa. This type of visa is only for maids and nannies. That is what my flatmate has, so she can't travel by bus as if she is picked up, she would be seen without the family she works for and could be deported.

You might be better off remaining in the Philipines and working at a call center. At least, that's what I've been told.

Good luck in making your decision.

Hello everyone! I was hired by EPG in Kuwait around January 2017 but I didn't push through because I was hired by another employer from USA. Although, one my friend told me that it was a good school and she's enjoying so far. She's there for 2 years now.

Hello Teacher Woxanne!
Can you tell me if you are currently working there in EPG? I got an offer and would like to know if the school has a good reviews from its employees. Thank you.

Hi. Are you still in Kuwait?

Hi Teacher Edward, just want to ask, will you pursue your job in Kuwait?

No, but I will be there by September. Do you have any reviews on the school?

Actually, I just hired recently. I just know someone who is living and working there, and I asked her about her experience.

Hello! Yes I will be pursuing it. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks

So how was it?

What suggestions do u want?

Uhmm, I mean any comments on the school? Are they a good employer, do they have many many restrictions? Thank you.

Hello. 220kd plus 25kd for food allowance and free accommodation :)

Hello anne. I was also hired by epg last june. Still waiting for my visa. U have a fried who works there?did u ask her if salary is given on time?
When is your deployment?is your agency benisce?hope we can communicate.

That doesn't seem fair at all. Can I ask what school that was?  I am looking for similar work on a temporary basis as I will only be in Kuwait for a few months.

I have some general inquiries.... My offer days "salary non-negotiable" but I've heard people say the salary is negotiable? What should I do?
Second... Is it impossible to get a drink? Can you find alcohol or do you need to leave the country? Finally. Is it possible to save money? I've heard it can be kinda sketchy, not getting paid, not getting insurance etc?

Schools here seem to have a fixed scale but everything is negotiable although they may expect you to take on extra duties. Some schools pay late mine is fine, it's hit and miss. Alcohol is illegal you need to fly to dubai or Bahrain. Anything inside Kuwait is home made. Depending on your salary yes you can save. Things are expensive but there are cheap options for food etc

Thank-you so much. I appreciate your response... By humans homemade what exactly does that mean.. will I go blind? Loll

Homemade* not humans... Lol