Residential permit belgium for dependent

Hi everyone,

I have a dependent visa for belgium which is valid for 6 months only. As per my understanding I either have to apply for a RP or renew my visa after expiry. I have come to belgium to join my husband only for two weeks as i work in india.  Can anyone help me with following :

1. How much time does processing of RP takes for a dependent (i already have all the documents ready and my husband is holding an RP)

2. In case if i have to renew the visa what would be the cost and do i need to go through the complete process( generating documents and getting legalised...)

Thanks in advance!

Kanchan

Happy new year !

1. Once you register in the commune, it takes 3-4 weeks in total for the whole process which includes registration, police verification, applying for RP card and receiving it. Some busy communes (for instance 1000 Brussels, or 1030 Schaerbeek) take even more time (~6 months) to get you a RP. And now, I am sure all offices have a fairly good backlog from the vacation period.

2. D type visa is issued normally for family re-union (assuming you want to join your family here in Belgium and establish your residence here for long term stay with them - that is why you [+kids if any] get a RP and it gets renewed yearly based on employment status of earning member of the family, etc. I am not sure if you can ask for a D type visa again (you may check this with VFS or may be someone else experienced with this may share their view on this.). Anyway, once your visa expires (be it any type visa), you must (as you know already) apply for a new visa and yes repeat the whole process (including providing all documentation, going through all the steps, etc). Also there is a cooling-off period in between two visa applications. Belgian DOFI (foreign affairs ministry) website must have more info.

Hope this helps.. We wait further inputs from our fellow group members.

Happy new year to you too..

Thanks for replying

Can i get RP on tourist visa

No you cannot apply for RP while being here on tourist visa.

It is true that being on a tourist Visa it is not possible to apply for a Dependent Visa in Belgium.
I have another question regarding family Reunion..
I was on a student Visa (valid until October 2016) and I am for the moment waiting from the Commune of Brussels( 1000) to review my papers for Family Reunification (since October when I send them the papers by email) and they have not notified me yet. in the meanwhile my card is expired.
Has anyone been in the same position?
Any advice would be very helpful
Thank you

So what i understand about the process is firstly I will aplly for RP and then police verification will happen. After which i would recieve a letter with dates to visit commune. Do you have any idea between how much time will it take between applying for RP and police verification for etterbeek

Thanks,
Kanchan

Kanchang wrote:

So what i understand about the process is firstly I will aplly for RP and then police verification will happen. After which i would receive a letter with dates to visit commune. Do you have any idea between how much time will it take between applying for RP and police verification for etterbeek

Thanks,
Kanchan

It can take upto a week to a couple of weeks (or three) from your initial commune visit+submission of application, to the police visit. It all depends on the workload of commune and your local police station. When police submits the successful verification report to commune, you will be sent a letter to visit the commune for photo, fingerprint collection, signature, etc and to request the RP card officially. From then, it may take 2-3 weeks or more for the card to be delivered at your commune and you to receive an envelope with pin and puk for the card. (I remember there is a fast track procedure for the card delivery, where you pay 100 EUR [or more] or so and the card is delivered in 2-3 business days. Do check with the commune if they have this option, when you visit.). Once you have the pin envelope, you take it to the commune to get your card and have it activated, etc.

Hi aneesh,

Thanks for your help

My type D dependent visa is valid till 2nd may.  But my documents were legalised in august. If i apply for RP in march,  will it be a problem because my documents will be 6 months old leaglised.

Thanks
Kanchan

Commune does not need many documents that are originated from India. Normally they ask for your partners RP, employment and income proof (work permit, salary slips), proof of medical insurance coverage for you, your passport+visa, accommodation proof (rental contract) and may be your birth certificate, marriage certificate. Date of legalisation is not a problem normally.

I have the same situation. I live in a duplex student room. Is it enough as proof of suitable residence?

KarmN wrote:

It is true that being on a tourist Visa it is not possible to apply for a Dependent Visa in Belgium.
I have another question regarding family Reunion..
I was on a student Visa (valid until October 2016) and I am for the moment waiting from the Commune of Brussels( 1000) to review my papers for Family Reunification (since October when I send them the papers by email) and they have not notified me yet. in the meanwhile my card is expired.
Has anyone been in the same position?
Any advice would be very helpful
Thank you

I am also applying for family reunification. Is a duplex student room enough as suitable residence?

I have the same situation, so can you travel to Belgium and not apply for a PR as u are going to stay for just 15 days.

regards
Santy

what if one misses the police vérification ? if there a possibility that they come for the second time? How does it work? I went to the town hall (Brussels) and they gave me the paper and it was written that they would come on tuesday but I wasnt there!

gkayal wrote:

what if one misses the police vérification ? if there a possibility that they come for the second time? How does it work? I went to the town hall (Brussels) and they gave me the paper and it was written that they would come on tuesday but I wasnt there!

Normally they (police) drop a paper in your mailbox if you are not home when they visit which instructs you to report to the police station with that paper and your identification documents, etc. If you didnt find any paper yet, I would suggest you go to the nearest police station (that your area falls in) and tell them the situation.

Hi Aneesh,

Trust you are good.

Validity of my wife's visa-d is only for 6 months and it expires on 3rd Jan 2019. Process of getting resident permit is in progress, however we are yet to receive it (Police verification is done).
Please clarify my doubts.

1. Does she need to go back to india for reapplying the visa-d after it expires or once we have resident permit card we can extend her visa in Belgium itself?
2. Next year in June my work permit will be renewed, do  I need to go back to India and do the same process again or validity of RP can be extended from Belgium itself without visa- d extension?

Looking forward to your resonse.

Thanks.

Regards,
Harsh

1. As said many times - once you get the residence permit, visa is not relevant anymore. Forget about the visa now. You are in the country and now everything is your residence permit. Your wife just need to wait for her residence permit. That is all.
2. Your RP will be renewed in Belgium itself. Forget about the visa now :)

Dear Aneesh,

I have a question related to your answers above. Kindly help with a clarification.

My wife and kid have VISAs that expire on 29 Mar 2019.
And the residence permit is still in process. Waiting for an invitation from Commune since 14 weeks. (The commune officials said there is a delay in files processing and we have to wait).

And my question is do they have to travel back to India before the Visa expires, if we still don't receive the RP by 29 March? Or can they stay as my dependents? (I am also waiting for my RP but I have a valid Visa and work permit till Aug 2019).

No. they can stay in the country while RP application is in process. They must stay in Belgium strictly after the visa expiry date.

Thanks Aneesh! That relieves me a bit  :)
I hear it is strange that there is such a delay from the Commune but we can't help it. Will be sure not to travel back until the RP is received.

Thanks again!

Which commune is that ?

Hello,

I have a RP that will expire on March, 11th, and meanwhile my company has applied for my work permit (single permit) and I'm not sure if I can get it before the expiry of my RP, if that's the case, do I need to leave the country ?

Not at all.

Please I apply a tourist visa for Luxembourg but I apply through Belgium embassy because here in Nigeria no Luxembourg embassy. I want to know if it's belgium embassy that will process my application or they will send it to Luxembourg

You mean If I dont get my single permit before March,11, I can stay in Belgium until I have it even my RP is expired ?

Abir93 wrote:

You mean If I dont get my single permit before March,11, I can stay in Belgium until I have it even my RP is expired ?

Hello,

In fact the answer is a bit tricky.

In theory, if you are not in document order, you should leave the territory.

In practice, if you can officially prove that the file is being examined, you can stay in the territory. But you can not get out ...

phipiemar wrote:
Abir93 wrote:

Hello,

In fact the answer is a bit tricky.

In theory, if you are not in document order, you should leave the territory.

In practice, if you can officially prove that the file is being examined, you can stay in the territory. But you can not get out ...

With the new procedure, the commune cannot give me a document proving that my file is being examined.. I only have a work contract and emails from the company handling my SP.. will that be enough to avoid any problems after the expiry of my RP ?

Not sure,

Each request to an official Belgian service is the subject of the creation of a file number. So get in touch with the relevant departments to get proof that it is being processed.

my husband has dependent visa valid till august 2020 . He is in belgium now . If he goes back to india can he  come  to belgium again  without a residence permit .

If his visa is multiple entry, yes, he can.

Hello, we did register to the commune and the police visited and did the verification and all that , but apparently when I went to check if the commune card is ready the commune says the police did not yet send them an email.
Plus- it's been  1 and a half month... “very strange” says the commune guy... they told me go and visit the police station and ask them to resend ..... also I cannot get hold of this police officer ... it's very tough...

Has anyone faced this before ???
Any feedback ?
Commune Evere

Did you visit the Police station ?

Hi Aneesh,
Yes I visited the police station the same day, the officer was not available . They asked me to get hold of her ( the police who handles my street) through phone and then take an appointment... I tried today no luck😩😓

Now I'm thinking of going to the police station tomorrow and ask for her directly...

yup make sure that she states that you live at your home!!!
That's EXTREMELY important!

Ah right, Thanks ill make sure

Hi all,

Just thought I'll share my update here...
so finally I got hold of the police inspector after a week and then got a call from her .... she asked me if I remember the name of the officer but I did not!! My mistake 😩 so I told her the date and time and she said she will speak to the officer responsible and resend an email to the commune ....
I checked with the commune post one week and the commune confirmed that they received the email...

So learnt one thing : Evere commune generally sends the commune letter within 2 weeks of police visits if you don't get any letter do go and check with them and don't wait for long
Also do ask for the full name of the police officer who visits ... :)

Best of luck !

Hello everyone
I have a query about registering at the commune, I arrived to Belgium on 24 of October 2020 and I am not register yet at commune for getting a residence card.. And the valid date is within 8 days from the arrival date.. I want to know if there any solution?!

I could recommend going to the commune as it is better to go sooner rather than later.

Hey !

My name is Somya. I am a dependent. My husband's and mine rip card got expired on 31st march 2023. We both went to commune etterbeek on 28th march before expiry. They took my husband's fingerprints and did all formalities and he got the card in 8 days. But in my case, she returned my rp card and took my documents and said they will let me know once it will be approved by ministry.

i am taking follow up since from more than a month, but they said they haven't got any instructions from ministry. I called foreign ministry after 45 days ministry said they have not received any documents by my name and asked me about annex 15. I told them I don't  know they didn't give me annex 15.

please help me with knowing that :

1) what should no do in this case ?

2) Since now if they will process it again , how long will this process take?

@somyapradhan06 Hello,

If your RP card is expired and your new RP card is in process then you must always ask for Annex 15 as a proof of RP card processing and proof of legal stay. You should go to your commune and request this document immediately.

Hey !
My name is Somya. I am a dependent. My husband's and mine rip card got expired on 31st march 2023. We both went to commune etterbeek on 28th march before expiry. They took my husband's fingerprints and did all formalities and he got the card in 8 days. But in my case, she returned my rp card and took my documents and said they will let me know once it will be approved by ministry.
i am taking follow up since from more than a month, but they said they haven't got any instructions from ministry. I called foreign ministry after 45 days ministry said they have not received any documents by my name and asked me about annex 15. I told them I don't know they didn't give me annex 15.

please help me with knowing that :

1) what should no do in this case ?
2) Since now if they will process it again , how long will this process take?
-@somyapradhan06

As a rule of thumb and instructed by goverment: You should always extend your permits no later than 30 days before the expiration date!!!

in my experience, the sooner I request an extend, the faster it was processed. I think they tend to delay it if the person delays it too.

Your dependent permit renewal infact depends on the decision from the Foreign office so it would be on their hand and not the commune.

My wife used to have the approval just 1 week after submision of the files by the commune and we did it via email.

We did the same thing this year also via Email and we are sure that the Foreign office has validating our files. But it has been more than 2 weeks without news.

We are 5 months ahead of the expiration date of my wife card so we are not expecting any Annex 15 but we will not be worry since we have plenty of time.