Buying in Panama

New to the site  :)   Considering buying beach front properties.  Any words of wisdom ??   Had anyone heard of Recap investments ?   Trying to do my due diligence and have been unable to find any dirt on them -- is that possible ??

@Ginger5
take a look at the Navy map first

There is another active thread on this very topic.
Don't buy anything until you have lived here at least 6-12 months and are sure Panama will work for you. 
Don't buy anything pre-construction.
My $.02 worth, YMMV

Ginger5 wrote:

New to the site  :)   Considering buying beach front properties.  Any words of wisdom ??   Had anyone heard of Recap investments?  Trying to do my due diligence and have been unable to find any dirt on them -- is that possible ??

My advice:  Don't do it.

As far as due diligence, Panama is the land of shell corporations and hidden ownership and control.  Go to this link and click on any of the names below and you'll see them associated with hundreds of corporations in some capacity or another.  http://ohuiginn.net/panama/company/id/428876

RENT for a year first!!!  Then you can have enough local information to make a purchase if you must.  In the later years of life, you usually need less and want to enjoy your life more than maintaining and repairing your home.

Same advice; don't do it! Specially beach front properties or in natural areas, most of them are protected areas or national parks, some people have feak property papers. There is a lot of fraud on that matter

Run away

I agree with Kris (kristc99).  You should live in Panama for awhile before you buy.  Make sure it is the right place for you.  And maybe you'll decide to stay, but never buy.  Why not, it is cheap to rent here.   

If you do buy, you do need to throughly investigate the property before buying.  Much more investigation than you would need to in the States or Canada.  However, it is not as fraught with fraud as some of the previous posters indicate.

I have some articles on how to safely buy property in Panama on my site.  LivinginPanama.com.

Best wishes,
Betsy Czark

Never. Ever buy