May move to malta

hi i am a 63 year old brit who has lived on cape cod ma usa for the last 35 years.my wife and i are looking for a place to retire ,malta keeps coming up on my searches but when i see posts they say dont come here,cold winters  trash bad drivers etc is this true? also we do not want to live anyplace that has been turned into a mini england like some places in spain , fish an chips watneysredbarrel etc. the one thing that attracted us was the english health care system  as that would be a help financially.we live in a rural location now ,and that is what we like,we kayak walk sit on beach read garden for fun  ,why leave?????? the winter can be harsh here with a short spring.plus its time for a change.we thought gozo would be more to our likeing but thats just a guss.any replys would be appreciated.  also any other locations other than malta that we should consider.thank you . denis chamberlain  anyone wanting info about the cape please get in touch

I love the winters. Cold is relative- I personally prefer winter over the horribly hot summers. Since you're active people I don't think you'll mind the winters (particularly after Massachusetts!) as long as you manage some indoor heating. I did an 11km hike a couple days ago with a group of friends (Italian, Polish, German) and it was beautiful and green, due to the rain we finally got- in summer I'm lucky if I feel like walking 11 steps. Also sitting outside cafes this time of year is nice because I don't find it too cold but the smokers do so they go indoors :). Be prepared for that if you are non smokers- the anti smoking laws are not as good as in North America.
Yes, the driving is silly but it's totally manageable to live here without driving every day (bus/rent a car/Gozo is good for cycling). Some areas are more mini-England than others but not everywhere.

Thanks for your reply - we are considering a move to Malta in the near future for retiremnet. I am American my husband is an English citizen. We have read that we would be covered under the nation health. Are the summers really humid?

Sept is actually more humid than July and Aug but yeah, it is humid; it's def not Arizona-type heat. I was only here summer '15 (moved here 2 years ago, went back to Canada for 9 weeks this summer) and humidity really depended day to day. People said this past summer 'wasn't too bad' but none of those people were Canadian so I'm not buying it :). I live a block from the sea so that helps for cooling down when it gets hot. You'll want to be within walking distance of the water because even though it's a small island it can take an absurdly long time to get around. It's not the most efficient place.

Compared to many countries the winters here are not cold, although quite chilly at the moment it is colder indoors than outside.  We do not normally get frosts and snow and last year was mild with very little rain.

Not sure about the NHS cover though as you would need to have the necessary NI  contributions in the UK to qualify for the UK state pension and get the S1 when you reach retirement age. This is how I understand it.

I also think the Winters are much better when compared  to UK.
I would recommend  Gozo for quieter way of life.