Living in Dominican

Please I would love to know how expensive living in Dominican is, cause I'm thinking about moving there to study and work as well...

Depend where you live, how you live, what's I.important to you!

Okay. I'm still in Nigeria

Have you ever visited here before??

Bob K

No Bob, i haven't

Ok if serious about living here you need to read all the threads here on living in the DR as well as other forums
Second you need to come and visit/live as a non tourist for a few months and check out the various areas.  The DR is not for everyone.
Then decide what you want to do
Finding work here is hard, pay is very low and you need to have your residency and cedula cards before you can work here legally

Bob K

Another great post by Bob, thanks.   Bob is exactly correct,  come and visit first. Don't spend the money on a maybe. This place is NOT for everyone but it works well for many of us. Some of us love it here!   

The ability to adapt is critical.  IF you need to make a living then certain skill sets are valued and most are not.   You will likely need to speak Spanish as well!

Best advice ever!  When we moved here to the DR we lived in several parts of the country for extended periods of time in order to get a feel for what we want.  I love the mountains but my husband loves the city so we reached a compromise.  We live in the city but get out to the mountains at least once a month and spend a couple of days decompressing.

Nothing like experiencing a country in order to know if living there will work for you.

Trying to find the right place to live in the Dominican Republic is a topic that I am sure many living there will have different views. I centered my search around Sosua for the following reasons.
1. Walking distance to most services.
2. Walking distance to restaurants, grocery stores.
3. Walking distance to the beach.
4. Close proximity to a good gym. Did I mention within walking distance.
I would like to consider other areas, such as Puerto Plata however I am not familiar enough with this area to know if such a particular neighbor hood exists.
I have found that the source of information on this forum to be invaluable when it comes down to making decisions in what direction I will go.
As one famous person says on this forum, boots on the ground. Arriving next week to do precisely that.

And each to his own, what works for me may not work for you.  Find what works for you.

Love the compromise, that works!!!

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : Please post in english only on this english speaking forum

I am sorry this is English only,  you will need to go to a French forum