Relocation: Tacoma to Medellin

hi there all!  happy new year to you all!
my name is Dave and I will be retiring the end of April. I am really excited about and interested in Medellin as a new home.
I have traveled extensively, and what initially attracted me to Medellin is the similarities it shares with Cuenca (climate, elevation, cost of living, etc), having spent a couple of months in Cuenca, and a month in Loja back in the 90's
I will be bringing a motorcycle with me, as well as my hobby (classical Guitar) so i will have a couple guitars as well as all my household items (not really too much)
I wont be looking to work, but I will be looking to get involved in some volunteer work.
Any information, tips, or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I may be able to take a scouting trip sans M/C in June.
anything that will help me get started will be helpful.
actually what I am much more concerned about is develping a community of friends and acquaintances once I get there, both expat and local.
info on swimming facilities, red clay tennis courts, cycling (bi and motor), NGO's and non profits, and areas to look at for housing
i look forward to meeting some of you in the coming months!
safe and happy holidays to you all!

Hi!  I sold my Tacoma home in Sept.,  threw everything in storage and got here 2 months ago with my honey AND my dog!  So far so good.  Will communicate more later by email Getting ready to go out for New Year's. 

Hasta,

Tedi

Dear Dave aka Marquez,

You may be surprised by Medellín's weather since you earlier spent time in Cuenca and believe the two places have similar weather.

Medellín is much warmer than Cuenca, especially in the North American summertime.

Year-round, Cuenca -- at 8,250 feet altitude -- has high temperatures in the 60's Fahrenheit.

Medellín -- at about 5,000 feet altitude in the Expat-friendliest areas such as Poblado and Laureles -- has highs in the 80's.

I was there last June for ten days and the mercury was hovering around 90 F on successive days.

Coming from the Pacific Northwest, you could be in for a surprise this summer.

cccmedia in La Zona Cafetera, 5,000 feet above sea level

Marquezdl wrote:

I will have a couple guitars (and) will be looking to get involved in some volunteer work.
Any information, tips, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Great idea to bring the guitars.  You'll find the Colombianas will love a man who can play a guitar expertly.  If you can sing while playing la guitarra, so much the better. :)

You might also find places to volunteer to perform on guitar, combining two of your interests.

Forum readers may be surprised that Dave is considering Zihuatanejo as a retirement location, as per his profile.

Although just an obscure name to many Gringos, coastal Zihuatanejo is actually the third-most-visited location in Mexico .. and is number-one for sport-fishing. (Wikipedia)

The completion of a fancy highway from there means the big Z is only a six-hours drive from Mexico City.

cccmedia in La Zona Cafetera, Colombia

David, an early welcome to Medellín.  Exceptional place. Nothing like Cuenca or Loja.  Much more to do than either. Climate is fabulous, unlike the cold and rain of Cuenca.  Think you will love it here. Would love to grab a beer with you when you arrive. Reach out to me at xxx I think you are making a wise choice.

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

ps. you can also reach me on whatsapp xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thanks for the reply all. 
I have to ask this question, I have been using Numbeo to compare costs of various cities, and Medellin comes out as almost unbelievably inexpensive.
Can you really rent a decent apartment in a nice neighborhood for under $250/mo?
I will be looking for a 2 bedroom and I would like to have amenities: maid/laundry service, some security, a patio or deck, and secure parking for my motorcycle.
Also, is the expat community cohesive?  Are there any bars or clubs, or specific get togethers that the american expat communiity tends to observe?
My favorite outdoor activities are cycling (bi or motor), and I would not plan on doing much of that in Medellin, I will probably mount an electric boost on one of my bicycles for that.
I love to play tennis on red clay!!!! And I love to swim..so access to non chlorinated pools or lakes is important to me.  Also Yoga.
What about medical insurance?  Do you have it or is it needed...remember, I am going to be 67 soon. I am in very good health, but we all know that can change in the blink of an eye.
Thanks
Dave

Unfortunately, I do NOT play expertly.  I am a fan of Baroque and classical guitar, but my playing is mediocre. Not up to public performance standards.

Hi Dave!

My husband and I moved from Auburn, WA to Rodadero about 18 months ago. Love it!
We have the National insurance and private insurance thru ColSanitas. Great private insurance, took care of everything when I broke my foot.
The only thing I would caution you on is who you have ship your goods. We used SDC shipping and would advise you to never ever consider them.
We live it here and hope you will too. Good luck!
Jill

Rodadero is a beach in Santa Marta, Colombia.

cccmedia in La Zona Cafetera

It's liker Medellin is a lady I have been courting.... I keep casting my eyes elsewhere, but I keep coming back to Medellin.
Only real drawback is the distance to the Ocean...I love the ocean.
Oh, it's also a lot farther than say Zihua, or San Juan del Sur in Nicaragua.
I plan to visit later this year and check Medellin out for myself... be a good chance to do a little "immersion" Spanish!

So where are you now? I just arrived from Seattle. Looking to buy property in Sabaneta. My husband and I can only stay half the year here and plan to rent our apt. out while we are in the US.

Landstryker wrote:

I just arrived from Seattle. Looking to buy property in Sabaneta. My husband and I can only stay half the year here and plan to rent our apt. out while we are in the US.

North Americans used to owning their own homes are prone to think buy-first when arriving in South America as Expats.

In this case, Landstryker, I don't see how it makes sense, especially since you would be dealing with tenant issues long distance and would commit to a purchase that may not be necessary .. drastically reducing your flexibility of living options going forward. 

Why would you not rent for at least your first 12 total months in Sabaneta?  Furnished rentals are available throughout the Aburrá Valley.

cccmedia in Medellín

Hi there!

We're down in Rodadero, Santa Marta in the Caribbean! I was a Navy brat and cant be away from the ocean. Its warm, humid with green hills , small bay and beach. Perfect for us@

Hi cccmedia,
I tried to respond to this earlier but got distracted before I could finish. I spent the last 16 months traveling to Medellin, each time living in different barrios, everywhere from Robledo to Buenos Aires, and I can honestly say, I love this city and want to spend as much time living here each year as I can (without losing too much in taxes). I also believe, with the dollar exchange rate as it is, that Medellin is a great place to invest and one of the few places in the world where safeguards still exist against sheer speculation. Thank you for your input though. I follow your threads religiously. You are a great source of information. We are closing soon so come stay if you like the next time you are in the area.

Are you aware of the taxes that Colombia charges expats after living in the country for more than 6 months within a year?

Retirement income, pension, etc... are taxable in Colombia at an extremely high rate.

Please seek legal advice

Yes, I am aware. My husband has family in the US so we would only be here half the year until he retires. Thanks.