Trips about to happen, planning...

Obviously, Fly into San Juan,

Night one, San Juan. 6hr flight arrival somewhere around 2pm (hopefully), get car and Hotel.
Old or New San Juan? Recommendations please. Water view not required, but walking distance to is.

Day Two will go south through Arecibo (a must for me) and travel down into Salinas.
There's two Marinas I need to see (and possibly a boat).
This one I'd like on the Peninsula in Jobos.
Thinking drive time is a little over 2hrs San Juan to Salinas/Jobos..

Day three: Arrive in Fajardo.
Drive time seems to be just about an hour, but I know we'll stop a few times along the way and probably take a more coastally route. Planning on it being a full day's adventure.
Have an Marina I'd like to see on the way (a bit expensive/exclusive for my taste).

Day Four is the walk-about Fajardo. Get to learn the place a bit.

Day 5-8 I'd like to see the SVI's. Thinking right now it's Ferry Service.
Fajardo / Vieques / Culebra / Back to Fajardo
I would extend this run if I could find a ferry into St Thomas, but as of yet only finding one out of Fajardo.
Guess not enough folks go to St Thomas from Vieques.
That would be a nice run!!
Fajardo / Vieques / St Thomas / Culebra / Fajardo

Any suggestions for me?

I am staying out of this but must comment that your schedule is aggressive, you will be tired and may have to reschedule some of it.
Fly to St Thomas, boat will eat a lot of time.

I'm seeing St Thomas as out right now. Would be a real nice run though... and would extend my time there, if..

How do my drive times look?

You should visit St. Thomas if you can, by sea it may be a long trip and may be rought ride this time of the year, seas can be a pain. Fly from San Juan Airport is beast to St. Thomas. There is a free port in St. Thomas so you can buy stuff tax free, also on the way home on the airport when you fly back to the states you can buy some tax free stuff at the airport if you show your tickets back to the states.

Salinas is a bit out of the way, I would say 3 hours by car each way from either Aguadilla from the west or from Isla Verde going east (maybe 3 1/2). Remember in PR speed is in miles while distance is in Kilometers. Adjust your GPS accordingly. The key is traffic, while it may look like just two hours it is likely 3.

From Isla Verde to Fajardo 1 hour is fine depending on time of the day (could be 40 minutes or 1 1/2 hour).

Not sure if there is Ferry service between Vieques and Culebra, I could be wrong. Expect to do each trip a different day using Fajardo as starting point. I would dedicate a day for each. Fix rate Taxi (multiple clients not just you on the same van) is inexpensive, around $2 each trip per person. Some beaches have facilities like bars and kiosks, some you are on your own, so bring something to drink and maybe some sandwiches if you are going to the more open beaches. Avoid going during weekends, everyone wants to go then so it will be more crowded and getting a ferry ride may be harder.

GPS / maps on the phones do not work great in PR if you are trying to get to an address, best search the location in the map and drop a pin then drive to the pin. Address in PR can be hard to get to via GPS because there is town, section of town and the neighborhood, most GPS get confused because a street in the town may appear with the same name or number multiple times in the same town since they may repeat from one section or neighborhood to another.

I will dig some more, yet I did believe I saw a ferry from Vieques to Culebra.
My intention would be to spend the night on each, if I can make this happen. I'll dig deeper. Thank you for the 'heads-up'!

The GPS advise is 'spot-on'!
I have a separate GPS antenna for my Ipad that I use while in Newfoundland and did exactly what you are advising to do. Doesn't require any data service! Just need to load first while you have WiFi.

Looks like I may need to adjust time-line coming out of Salinas. I will stop through there, it's another must.
It has a wonderful natural protected harbor with small Islands to sail around. A bit far out of the SVI's, being a upwind run, but return would mean the Spinnaker is out. If you've never sailed with a Spinnaker out and running, you've missed a thrill! It's so pretty to see a sail that big full of wind!

Thank you for all your input!

Eight foot seas from PR to Culebra two days ago.

Calming very nicely come Wednesday to 3ft seas. Though rainy. I am watching...
Love the update Frogrock! This is what I need, to see if my info is close.
It's a great check on the site I'm watching.

They're talking 5ft seas over the next few days. Rain to scattered shows.
Blowin' mostly ENE 18knts
Calming by Wednesday,

What I'm gathering from your area is a true Easterly calms the waters.
Kinda makes sense when looking at the troughs North & South of you.
Through 14knts of wind projected, coming from a true easterly, on the rise, calmer sea. Put that same wind on a ENE or ESE, coming across that trough.. Ya, bigger water.

Still researching, still learning your water. Still liking!
Just have to time the season.

This just another reason I must see Salinas.
Very protected harbor and Islands close to shore to sail to.
Comparably, 18knt E/ENE wind  and only 3ft seas forecast over the next few.
Isolated showers projected vs. rain..
Still quite an upwind sail to reach the SVI's.
Wonderful downwind to return..

Pro's & Con's on everything, aye!

Really thinking as a Snowbird, Salinas may be my area..

Have to visit!

FOR YOUR INFORMATION, I just read in Facebook that Penelope (Sugarbird here) and Dean just made the trip on their sail boat from Culebra to St. Thomas, it took them 4 1/2 hours, she complained of too much wind and too many squalls. Which goes with what you and Frogrock just stated.

I will not recommend a boat trip to ST this time of the year. The wind in heavy this time of the year and can change in a dime. Most fishermen are worry on this time and don't go as far into the ocean, that will tell you something.

ReyP wrote:

FOR YOUR INFORMATION, I just read in Facebook that Penelope (Sugarbird here) and Dean just made the trip on their sail boat from Culebra to St. Thomas, it took them 4 1/2 hours, she complained of too much wind and too many squalls. Which goes with what you and Frogrock just stated.

Which makes sense to me (I do love getting info that agrees with the research I'm doing).
You're talkin' a 20nm run, upwind. Normal time estimated would be 4hrs. Add in seas, I'm surprised it only added a 1/2hr.
Suspect decent sized boat (maybe motored??) and accomplished sailors.

Thanks Rey!

adlin20 wrote:

I will not recommend a boat trip to ST this time of the year. The wind in heavy this time of the year and can change in a dime. Most fishermen are worry on this time and don't go as far into the ocean, that will tell you something.

Oh I do agree. Well unless you like a challenge.. LOL

What I'm gathering so far is a good sailing season as I first would arrive, let the 'Christmas Winds' (as stated so nicely by another) subside, and get a month or so of sailing before returning state-side.
Or go South Coast around Salinas and short sail... There I think I could sail the entire time.
It's just a 9hr run to Vieques (SVI's) from there.. Up wind..

There are Pro's & Con's to each area I look at.
Over-all, I like the area.
The trip will tell quite the tale for us.
I am so looking forward to it!

I'm working on the stay in Fajardo now. Found what I think is a nice one on Airbnb (starting to like that site site).

Having a tough time around San Juan for the flight in and stay though.
Did find a nice one on the South Coast I'm about to book. West of Salinas, but really like the what I'm looking at. We decided to stay 2 nights there. After the drive and wanting to see the Bay in Salinas, the second night needs to happen.
I need a full day to explore this area if it's a contender.

Just heard back from the gal in Fajardo and attempting to locate the property. If right, I like very much!

Still working on the first nights stay.. May have to go further out of San Juan to find something. Southerly is how I'm looking..
It's only a place to flop for the night.. You guys don't have a Motel Six down there do ya? LOL

Motels in PR are rented by the hour. Depends on your intentions, LOL

ReyP wrote:

Motels in PR are rented by the hour. Depends on your intentions, LOL

I'm really liking your humor!

Found a very nice place in Barranquitas.
Thinking 1 1/2hrs out of San Juan.

I have far too many pages open right now...
Internet is so co cool, but at the same time... pain in the butt..

Besides hotels and places that people rent to tourists, we also have Parador or Paradores (plural). Check https://www.puertoricohotelesparadores.com/pueblo for more options. Sorry Spanish site