Wanting to marry in Tunisia.

Hi, I have been in a internet relationship, if that's what you call it. It's been 2 years now. He is in Algeria and I the USA. I however am visiting in April in Tunisia and he will meet me there. If we decide to get married as we have discussed  wanting to.  What are the restrictions and time limit? I am Christian woman and he is a Muslim Man. I  also older then he is by 13 years.  He has not asked to come here, I asked him for I can not move to Algeria. 
Does anyone know what I need to do to prepare for my 20 day trip to Tunisia?  And the laws to which to be married? And then what do I need to do to bring him to the StAtes?
Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Hello Lilly62,

Welcome to Expat!

Your discussion has been moved here, in the Tunisia forum, where your post will be more visible for what your are looking for. Also please create a new thread in the USA forum for your question concerning visas for USA. Hope you will get the information you require.

Cheers,
Jaisan ;)

Thank you.  I am new to all this. Not sure where to begin. Thanks for your help.

Hi Lilly,
  Is a good idea if you have decided to visit him first.this really shows that,love doesn't care about distance.He being a Muslim also can not be the reason to stop you two from marrying. Islam does not forbid that unless He doesn't know much about that.You older than him too is not a problem at all.also if he know much in Islam,he will never consider these things you mentioned.because there are many examples in Islam that Muslims can do the same when the need arises.
what I know about Tunisia is in some places you need to cover your body like them but not too tight like Saudi Arabia.if you do that no one can stop or tell  you filty words.for the rest of your preparations depends on you.how you want to live there for that 20 days.
that is what I know. I hope it will clear part of your thoughts.

Wadaada,
                   Thank you for responding. I am trying to get all the information I can before I go. I totally adore him and he I. The distance is hard. He has no problem with our age difference.  I worry about it. I worry about being approved for him to come to the USA with me to begin our life together after we get married.  I want to make sure I have all the information I need and paperwork.  So I am understanding when I go to Tunsina I need to respectfully dress, so mini skirts are out of the question? Just kidding... I had already planned to dress covering more up. I do know some about Islamic ways, he does explain things and I am researching a lot. I don't want our beliefs or cultures to be a problem. He is willing to learn from me as I am him. He has asked me to go to Algeria instead of Tunsina. I am the one wanting to go to Tunsina. I am a bit nervous to go over to either places as I have never left the USA before.. but he assures me all will be fine. I have spoken to his family on Skype. I am very much wanting to meet them. And vise versa.
Can you tell me if there is problems for us to be together in Tunisia?  Or getting Married there?
Thanks again

Hi Lilly,
  I can imagine how serious you two are.but I can't tell how much you guys trust each other.convincing him to follow you to the United States will not be a problem if he is ever ready for you.let him know your aim of coming there though i know you guys have already talked about that.tell him how you feel.love I know controls the body and mind as well.but if I may ask,If he is from Algeria, why does he want you to meet him in Tunisia?this is what my mind can't take.is he trying to hide his identity or location from you?find out WHY by yourself.sometimes love make us blind and dumb.
I am very sure he will follow you like miracle if there is really your thought of love in him.I respect that word,LOVE.it is very strong and powerful. so people use that opportunity to hurt others.I wish you all the best.
Taufic

Wadaada, it is me that wants to go to Tunsina.  I read that it would be easier to be married there if we chose to do that. I would really like him to come to the USA but I heard tourist visas are really hard to get and a K1 we have to meet first. So I have to go to either place. I also read it was hard to marry in Algeria. I will go to either place but I truly want to go where the best chance to be married and accepted.  I don't want To do anything that would cause issues for a visa. Another reason why I am here to get information.  He asked me to go to Algeria.  He wanted me to spend,a month I. Algeria.  But I can't I have work here I can't stay that long away from.
Would it be better if I went to Algeria?

Lilly,
  I get you right. You going to Algeria may help maybe he has plans to solve it.  Algeria is almost the same as Tunisia because they are all Arab countries.if you can both decide to meet in any other country which is not Arab,I think it will be fine and easy to get married and  the visa as well.for example in Europe is cool.because they have many migrants moving up and down so they don't stretch issues like others.I have witnessed this before.just that it involves money but you will get your request.

Wadaada, I just reread one of your messages. You said you couldn't tell how much he and I trust each other.  I trust him a lot. I have had a bad marriage that ended up in a messy divorce.  And a relationship that wasn't much better. When he and I met I clearly told him i would not date long distance or begin anything but a  friendship. He agreed and said ok. As time went by months and months of just talking he has seen me grow to a stronger woman. He has been by my side (virtually)  through a car accident,  2 surgeries  and has been very supportive of all I do. Made me laugh through physical therapy,  encouraging me to keep going when I was down. He has become my Anchor and has held close in words and Skype to get me through stuff. I told him at one point to go find someone and not worry about me. He won't. It hurt me to tell him that but I felt it would be impossible to be together other then what We had been. I didn't want his opportunity for happiness to slide by. But every minute he could he was with me virtually,  Skype, messenger, texting , Facebook. Minutes turned into hours and months went by and my heart grew to want more then friends. I asked him to come visit me. He asked me to go there.  I have never been out of the USA so I am terrified. But I agreed. I am now planning my trip. We have talked about getting married and being together for life time commitment.  And I asked him to meet me in Tunisia.  He agreed. Today he said he would not marry me to hurry his visa. He would marry me because he loves me. And told me we would work around what ever we had to so we can be together.  I suggested getting married in Tunsina, he said yes. But it is not easy or simple to do so.
I believe we will make it. And I trust him with all I have. He knows from the minute I told him I loved him I have been faithful  and honest.  He knows how much I care and I him. He knows when he calls and hears my voice when something is wrong. He teaches me French.  I am learning Islamic ways. I will not  convert at this time. But an open to discussing it. I could go on an on. We have our moments where I get scared and want to run. But he is so understanding and patient and helps me through my nervous. I don't believe we are perfect. But I do believe we can grow together and be a perfect Couple. 
Thanks for your chat. I need all the advice I can get. Travelling scares me.. :(

Hi lily.

What a beautiful story you have :)

Almost a year ago, I went to Tunisia with the intention of marrying there. But the papers got a little complicated and from my evaluation, it didn't seem like they knew exactly what they were doing. Before coming to Tunisia, I asked specifically what I needed to bring and I brought everything with me, only to find out that I needed something else. I am from Philippines, and when I got there, the city hall told me that the requirements vary from one country to another. The list that they gave me is the general requirements, without the specific requirement for my country. From reading the other threads in this forum, I learned that each city hall has different requirements so you need to find the city hall first and get information about it.
Mine was in Hammam Sousse, we already paid the necessary fees only to be told that it cannot be done since I am lacking some papers, and we can't get a refund either. It was not much but still so disappointing considering we also wasted time and effort running around.
My visa was about to expire and we ended up getting married in the Philippines instead.
Good luck and I wish you a good life <3

Rashida, thanks for your message. It's seeming a bit difficult to marry in Tunisia.  I will be there less then 20 days. I heard it takes that long to get approved to get married. It's a bit frustrating.  I just want us to be happy and it seems we have many hurdles to jump before we can begin our life together..

Hey lily,

I dont know how to tag you in a previous thread so I just copy pasted it instead. This post was from 2012. I hope it helps you :)

-Rashida

Hello, I am a Colombian citizen who married a Tunisian in 2009. I was living in the United States when I got married so it was very difficult to coordinate details, but we made it :) 
About the paperwork:
Every "municipalité" or city hall has its own paperwork. So you need to find one within months and see their specific requirements. Remember that Summer is preferred by Tunisians so you need to separate your spot in advance!!!Here are the websites of all city halls:

www.commune-ajim.gov.tn     Municipalité de Djerba Ajim
www.commune-sbiba.gov.tn     Municipalité de Sbiba
www.commune-weslatia.gov.tn     Municipalité de Oueslatia
www.commune-teboursouk.gov.tn     Municipalité de Teboursouk
www.commune-sidibousaid.gov.tn     Municipalité de Sidi Bou Saïd
www.commune-sakietezzit.gov.tn     Municipalité de Sakiet Ezzit
www.commune-mornag.gov.tn     Municipalité de Mornag
www.commune-menzelbouzelfa.gov.tn Municipalité de Menzel BouZelfa
www.commune-gremda.gov.tn     Municipalité de Gremda
www.commune-ghannouch.gov.tn     Municipalité de Ghannouch
www.commune-elain.gov.tn     Municipalité Elain
www.commune-chihia.gov.tn     Municipalité de Chihia
www.commune-chenini-nahal.gov.tn Municipalité de Chenini Nahal
www.commune-boumerdess.gov.tn     Municipalité de Boumerdes
www.commune-bemblamnara.gov.tn     Municipalité de Bembla Mnara
www.commune-zarat.gov.tn     Municipalité de zarat
www.commune-bengardene.gov.tn     Municipalité de Bengardene
www.commune-zaghouan.gov.tn     Municipalité de Zaghouan
www.commune-zarzis.gov.tn     Municipalité de Zarzis
www.commune-teboulba.gov.tn     Municipalité de Teboulba
www.commune-tajerouine.gov.tn     Municipalité de Tejerouine
www.commune-tataouine.gov.tn     Municipalité de Tataouine
www.commune-tozeur.gov.tn     Municipalité de Tozeur
www.commune-tunis.gov.tn     Municipalité de Tunis
www.commune-sidielhani.gov.tn     Municipalité de Sidi el Hani
www.commune-sfax.gov.tn     Municipalité de Sfax
www.commune-siliana.gov.tn     Municipalité de Siliana
www.commune-sakietsidiyoussef.gov.tn Municipalité de Sakiet Sidi Youssef
www.commune-sers.gov.tn     Municipalité de Sers
www.commune-sbikha.gov.tn     Municipalité de Sbikha
www.commune-souklahad.gov.tn     Municipalité de Souk Lahad
www.commune-soliman.gov.tn     Municipalité de Soliman
www.commune-sidibouali.gov.tn     Municipalité de Sidi Bouali
www.commune-sahlinemoatmar.gov.tn  Municipalité de Sahline Motamer
www.commune-skhira.gov.tn     Municipalité de Skhira
www.commune-sidibouzid.gov.tn     Municipalité de Sidi Bouzid
www.commune-sousse.gov.tn     Municipalité de Sousse
www.commune-raoued.gov.tn     Municipalité de Raoued
www.commune-rades.gov.tn     Municipalité de Rades
www.commune-ouedellil.gov.tn     Municipalité de Oued Ellil
www.commune-nabeul.gov.tn     Municipalité de Nabeul
www.commune-nasrallah.gov.tn     Municipalité de Nasrallah
www.commune-makthar.gov.tn     Municipalité de Makthar
www.commune-medjezelbab.gov.tn     Municipalité de Medjez Elbeb
www.commune-moknine.gov.tn     Municipalité de Moknine
www.commune-mornaguia.gov.tn     Municipalité de Mornaguia
www.commune-elmourouj.gov.tn     Municipalité de Mourouj
www.commune-menzelelhayet.gov.tn Municipalité de Menzel Hayet
www.commune-messadine.gov.tn     Municipalité de Messaâdine
www.commune-elmdhilla.gov.tn     Municipalité de M'dhilla

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED (for my wedding)
First of all, the documents need to be translated to French.
For my marriage in Megrine, Rades I had to get the following documents for my dossier:
1. Birth Certificate and certified translation in French.
2. Letter from a consulate or official notarized letter indicating that you are single or your status allows you to get married. If you don't live in your home country, you need to get this letter signed by the consul or ambassador of your country's nearest consulate/embassy. (Translation in French required)
3. Copies of the passport, and visas (if applicable)
4. I am a woman so I didn't need to convert to Islam at that time. But if you are a man YOU NEED TO CONVERT TO ISLAM and get a certificate.
3.  Doctor's certificate indicating you are in good health! you can buy this one in Tunisia, you don't necessarily need to go to the doctor.
4. Paperwork needs to be submitted within 15 days minimum before the wedding. It's important that you find the city hall with time! We struggled a lot because the City Hall of Carthage refused to accept our documents, they insisted that my letter needed to be signed in Egypt and not Washington, DC. This happened 3 weeks before the actual wedding...luckily the Municipalité de Megrine received our documents, we paid the fees and got married.

This is mostly all concerned to a civil wedding, very simple and all. I decided to marry in la salle de fetes of the City Hall and we brought our wedding favors (dragees), the patisserie or traditional sweets, and beverages there. Then I had a simple reception with the closest friends and family. But if you want to have a full Tunisian wedding, it requires more time, money, and preparation. That depends on you :) I am just helping with with the basics: listing the papers needed for the contract.
Good luck!

Rashida,   Thank you very much for your help. No I don't think we will have a traditional wedding. Just something small and simple. I will check the links out. I don't go till late March early April. Just now putting it man together.
Course nothing is really easy and simple...
Thanks

Happy New year

Hey Lilly,
thats a very good storry.am very happy you are getting more informations.
this is a kind of man i call the real man.relationship is all about love and trust.
I wish you all the best and a safe journey if you are ready.

Wadaada, I have been trying to seeknas much information as I can before I leave to go to Tunsina.  Can you recommend any city's to go to? I looked at hotels in Monastir  I believe.  I want to make its safe for me as an american and i can adventure how and enjoy the beauty of the country. He will of course be with me.