How is the living in Mosta

Hello everyone! I'm new here and I would love your opinions about the life in Mosta. They just offered my husband a job there. We are from Mexico and have no idea about what to expect and we are considering to move this January. Anything you can say, bad or good will be much appreciated. I would move with my husband and two kids. Also I would like to know what is expensive for you in electricity costs. I read that a lot in other thread but don't really know what is "expensive" for you.

Thank you very much !
Dany

you have to visit malta before deciding to move.

Electricity is expensive depending on your income, use airon a bit much and its easy to pay 150/month especially if one stays at home

The job offer is for "just" 4 months so the people offering it, told him to think it as a vacation because living there is really cool. My question is: is it ? Haha
About the electricity and bills, is it true that if you are a foreigner, you pay about 30% more than locals ?!
And what about the weather? Forgot to ask... this coming 4 months, how's the weather like?

Sorry, too many questions but I need to know what to expect and be ready because it seems that it is going to happen!!

Many thanks :)

the foreigner electric bill thing has been sorted out, you need to just fill in a form.

Winter is very cold and damp and many expats go somewhere else because the houses are not built for summer, colder inside than out, summer is hot hot hot

Happy to hear about that haha. And sad about the weather :( . So in all, do you recommend Mosta? We were told that specially Mosta is not a good place for families. We don't know what they meant🤔.

Speaking about distance, how far is it from Mosha to the closest beach/shore ?

Dany

I loved living in mosta but it's big busy and noisy. Nearest good beach is around golden bay about 15 to 20 by car

Can't comment about families but there are several schools and lots of kids around. It's mainly concrete though like everywhere here

volcane wrote:

the foreigner electric bill thing has been sorted out, you need to just fill in a form.

Winter is very cold and damp and many expats go somewhere else because the houses are not built for summer, colder inside than out, summer is hot hot hot

The houses are built for summer.

GozoMo wrote:
volcane wrote:

because the houses are not built for summer, colder inside than out, summer is hot hot hot

The houses are built for summer.

Oops yes that's what I was trying to say :)

Great ! Thank you very much :) I guess I'll have to start packing my winter clothes ! 😅

if job offer is for only 4 months, you r bigger problem is fact that you will pay huge rent if renting month by month or you'll need to sign minimum 6 month contract

btw. even when I was on expensive tariff for water+elec. my monthly bill was between 90-120 e (peek of the summer) - and we are family of 4

Not sure on the temperature where you live, or scenery etc.... I can't imagine it's worth moving with all the expenses and hassle that comes with changing countries...for four months.

Some people drone on about visiting before you live there, but if you are only going to be there for four months....and you are from a noisy latin country, I can't imagine anything there will be that offensive in that short a time. A lot of things only effect you after you've been there for a long time, or are thinking about staying.

Dorieus wrote:

[...] I can't imagine it's worth moving with all the expenses and hassle that comes with changing countries...for four months.

Some people drone on about visiting before you live there, but if you are only going to be there for four months....and you are from a noisy latin country, I can't imagine anything there will be that offensive in that short a time. A lot of things only effect you after you've been there for a long time, or are thinking about staying.

We "moved" to Malta for just 3 months last summer - partly to check out if moving there for good is the right step, and also because of my work. It was definitely worth all the hassle and expenses for us, it was one of the best summers I've ever had! The children (5 years and 1,5 years) enjoyed it, too.

If you're only coming for a few months, you can definitely go about it feeling much more relaxed, because - as Dorieus said - lots of things only become an issue after a long(er) time, and knowing that you'll move on in a few months helps you to "overlook" some things that might be irritating otherwise.

We were in Mellieha - which was nice for a few months, but might be an issue for longer. Mellieha is more of a holiday destination after all.

We have friends (originally from Holland & South Africa) who live in Mosta. They bought a flat there last year, so they seem to be quite happy there :) Their kids are 3 & 1 year old, and they say Mosta is rather okay for families.

I also know another family who moved to Mosta from Mexico. The father is US-American, but the mother is from Morelia in Mexico. She wasn't too happy there in the beginning, but likes it now. The kids (I think 4 and 8 years old) like it, too.

Best wishes for your adventure :)

Yeah - I think you aren't from a tropical country like her though, that's why I say that. It's one thing if you are moving from Austria, and another if you are moving from Mexico, the climate and beaches and things probably are worse than the ones you left - but new can be good and fun if you see it as an adventure I agree,