Has anyone driven to Mexico recently in a permanent move?

I am retiree considering a permanent move to Mexico from Canada, perhaps a 180 day trial at first to test the waters and find accomm.  What are the docs needed and some good places near sea for a retired artist to reside on less than 1000 a month.

You only need your passport and MEXICAN CAR INSURANCE!  (That will be the biggie!)  You can get your temporary visa at the point of entry (passport and about $25 US).  I recommend Playas.  It is close to the border for going back and forth for any needs, it is small community right on the ocean (about 18,000 people, nice mall, plus a Walmart and good medical facility.  Completely separate from Tijuana but technically part of Tijuana . I moved to Playas in 2006 at age 75 totally on my own, not speaking the language.  Contact me by private message for more input on this area. I tried Rosarito Beach at first but quickly changed to Playas.

Hi, first, I presume you are a Canadian citizen so as far as the Visa is concerned for a permanent move, you need a minimum of monthly net income see this link https://consulmex2.sre.gob.mx/montreal/ … y-resident In your case, the 1000$ Canadian is not enough to get the temporary one unless you have a monthly average of 31115$ CDN in investissement or Bank account for the last 12 months. Otherwise, you will only be allowed a tourist visa  (180 days). Also, if you become a non-resident of Canada, you will have a 15% taxation rate on all revenues unless you file in a non-resident tax return annually by mail to Revenue Canada http://www.fin.gc.ca/treaties-conventio … _1-eng.asp . My wife and I have started the process but calculation is very important. I would be incline to advise you to make an exploratory trip to Mexico by plane in various areas. You could also buy books on Mexico  (lonely planet) . Buena suerte, GyC.

lonely planet books are for tourists not expats and dated, skip them.  $1,000 a month near the beach will not be near enough.

I would recommend San Felipe Baja California, 1000.00 a month is more than enough for you to live there, not to mention the weather is out of this world always hot and beautiful I go there at least twice a year and its always a blast..

Thank you very much Alan!..that certainly is great information and San Filipe also sounds like a great place for an artist...i certainly will do my research on the place and learn all I can..again thanx

you canlive in ensanada bc fo 700 or less per month .youcan rent a littleplace not fancy liveable for about 200. per month

thank you very much for the reply...Ensanada sounds very reasonable.  I will certainly check out the place on YT etc,.

Not sure if your set on baja but Costa Allegra in Jalisco has miles and miles of untouched beaches and probably one of the most affordable areas in mex. for an example we are renting a home in San Mateo 1 mile off beach for $1100 p. Por mez. Do the math. Dinner is $3-5 for 2 including cerveza. It's waaaay good here and waaaay safe.  Good luck

Hello, My name is Simona and I live in California I am 48 and have a monthly retirement income which has me thinking about retiring different places. I have heard lots about Belize and really would like to visit to see if I would like to move there. Being single sometimes it's hard for me to do big moves like that alone so I am hoping to met a friend with the same ideas as mine. I have read everything there is to know about moving there so I am very familiar with the retirement perks. Are you up for a strickly plantonic relationship? . Simona =]