Coming to Al Ain from the States

hello my name is Charles i will be in Al Ain Feb 10th. Cant wait to meet new people and see new things. This will be my first time living overseas. Im coming from South Carolina, and would love any advice. hit me up on yahoo messenger [email protected]

Welcome on Expat.com Chuckbyob ;)

Wish you good luck for your relocation ;)

Regards

You will love it here. Depending on where you choose to live in UAE. I've been here 5yrs and love it. Abu Dhabi right now is under incredible construction and hard to put into words how incredibly bad the parking and polution situation is.....ppl dbl park and put their ph# in window for you to call when you need to leave. Its crazy. Dubai, well, you can't breath. So much construction and big machinery that its only nice to visit for a day at a time (take toliet paper, screw gps the roads are always changing, water, food, charger and charged cell ph, full tank of gas (you may run out trying to find your exit and they dont have gas stations or overpasses like the states it will be miles before the next station). That brings me to Al Ain. Wonderful green city. Small town, yes. 4-5 major hotels or places to go have a drink. But, don't let that fool you. It's fun. Hometown like. no traffic. Everyone knows you or someone they know will know you. Yes, if your looking for a 'good' time you take a hotel in AD or DXB.
The very first thing you need to do, and HEED my warning! Get a liquor license. It's a license to have alcohol in your system. You go to the liquor store and get a form. You have to have permission from your employer to have one...haha. You can fall down drunk in the hotel bar your staying in without one, but don't dare have any trace of it if you leave that sanctity without one. Take a taxi even if you've tied one on one the night b4 and decide to drive the next. You will get asked for a blood test in an accident. They don't all drink and have a higher sense of smell. If they smell a trace of alcohol on you in the car or at your job, BIG TROUBLE. Keep it simple and drink in moderation and if you do pull an all nighter, take taxis, stay in hotel....but, dont drive.
There are prostitutes in every bar. Standard. If your married this could be a problem because they are very aggressive. A weak man could cave in.
There are amazing things to do here. Desert drives with off roading, bbq, camel riding, belly dancers, camping, fishing, sightseeing, hot springs, wadis (rivers), absolutely beautiful ancient sites, beautiful mosques, the biggest one being in AD you can tour, a site to see. A 7star hotel Emirates Palace in AD is amazing, take the tour. And just down the road you can go to the Heritage Village that shows you life in its past. And a camel ride. Then take the boat to LuLu Island for the day. Take your own lunchbox and, well, no alcohol unless your creative. There is a man made lake there that has an amazing waterfall area you can just sit in and enjoy your day. You can go into the mosques but respectable way.
I challenge you to get out of your hotel room and just walk. Walk through any of the city centers. See the real ppl. Eat the shawarmas (kinda like street tacos) from the small vendors. Eat the bread(like a tortilla) that is cooked right in front of you and warm. And while your walking and eating this warm bread and the emam/Imam sp? starts singing the daily prayer, stop and listen. He is singing for all to come and pray. It will send shivers up your spine and make the hair stand up on your arms and neck.
And, please, promise me you will tip like you tip in the states. I know they say to tip less because its cheaper here. But do it on your conscience. They make little to no money here. And they send most of it back to their family. What you will find here is an amazing thing. The ppl making the least amount of the money are the ones sending the most back to their families.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me. Michelle

Hi,

All the best on your relocation.  I have been here for a year in Al Ain.  Whatever you expect, it's going to be different.

Fair play to TexasgirlCollections thats the longest introduction ever.

I dont think you are going to find Al Ain quite the same as Abu Dhabi though.

I want to thank TexasgirlCollections and everyone for their post, it was very helpfull. Well, this is my last week in the states and have my house just about packed up and put in storage. Also i have been steping foward and trying to look for an automobile online. But i have been reading that the best place to find one is on some kind of board that is posted in a hotel(or am i totally wrong).

Just received my flight information. I will be in UAE Friday Feb 11 at 8pm..Cant wait!!!!

Chuckbyob,

feb 11 or feb 10? which is which lol..

I leave the states at 3pm EST on Feb 10th and will land in UAE on Feb 11 at 8pm local time. also my employer said my apartment is ready.Cant wait!!!!!!!

IM here....Im at the Hilton for 2 weeks...hit me up!

Hi,

No problem.  If you are in the Hilton then you must know Paco's bar on the ground floor.

I will be in there on Tuesday night to watch the Tottenham Hotspur football game. Sorry that would be 'soccer' to you.

Starts at 22.00pm

I'm based close to the Hilton myself only about 5 minute drive away.

All the best and hope u enjoy your time here.

Peter

Sorry i didnt make it..Had to work the next day and be up at 4 am. im still in the hilton and hope to have my Apt. my next week we will see. Also it is a 3 day weekend, ill be at Paco's bar tonight having a few. Anyone who reads this is more than welcome to join me. Plus they have a pretty good band from England that plays at 9pm.....