Retirement in Vietnam

How   can I retire in Vietnam if my visa is only for 5 years?

Do as everyone else does..?

you have a 5 year visa? Does it even exist? My brief google search says longest Vietnam visa is 3 months.

http://www.vietnamvisaonentry.com/gener … -overseas/

link under review.

Just guessing you meant VEC which is not a Visa. It even says so in the name. Visa Exemption certificate.

You are right. My bad.

it's a common mistake. I also have this VEC and been living in Vietnam last 3 years.

Just have to keep extending your stay otherwise obtain Vietnamese citizenship.

Thanks man. When your VEC expires. Do you have to leave the country  and reapply for another?

I just extended my link last week for another 6 months. Didn't have to leave the country.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=634497

My passport is 10 years but my VEC expires in about 4.5 years from now. VEC usually expires when your passport expires unless it's more than 5 years.

You are the man. Thx. I know whom to ask when I need help.

khanh44 wrote:

I just extended my link last week for another 6 months. Didn't have to leave the country.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=634497

I recently obtained a VEC and my wife was told when it was issued that I wouldn,t have to leave the country, but just get a stamp every 6 months   But recently I have been hearing that new recipients are being told that after 6months they must leave. My VEC is issued with no permission to work. Is yours the same?  And was it originally issued before the new visa rules were implemented? Just trying to figure out why people are now being told they must leave after 6 months

All VEC's don't have permission to work. I got a new VEC last June 2016 so after the new visa rules but I don't think it makes a difference.

Here's the problem with Vietnam. Their laws or rules are not uniform throughout the country. Each district has their own interpretation of the law. Dong Nai where I am allows me the 6 months extended stay while I hear Ho Chi Minh VEC holders get 3 months extended stay.

I've also heard some are told to leave the country too. Don't know or can't remember if it's because they don't have a Vietnamese spouse.

Here's the problem with Vietnam ...  Each district has their own interpretation of the law.
UNQUOTE

This is correct, and an absolute pain in the neck.  Nha Trang Immigration once sent me to Saigon to get a new visa, but Saigon sent me back to Nha Trang, all of which cost a lot and time and money form me and my VN wife. Vietnamese officials constantly create 'problems' to try and force you to pay 'tea money' for them to 'help you fix the problems' they have created.

ralphnhatrang wrote:

Here's the problem with Vietnam ...  Each district has their own interpretation of the law.
UNQUOTE

This is correct, and an absolute pain in the neck.  Nha Trang Immigration once sent me to Saigon to get a new visa, but Saigon sent me back to Nha Trang, all of which cost a lot and time and money form me and my VN wife. Vietnamese officials constantly create 'problems' to try and force you to pay 'tea money' for them to 'help you fix the problems' they have created.

Hi Ralph,
You hit the nail on the head, it's a ridiculous situation and it's going to come back to bite them.

The silly little buggers think its a childish game running people around just for a few extra pennies, and that's usually all that's in it for them.   It keeps the place classless and cheap, and we the foreigners are benefitting from the low cost living that this grubby low brow behaviour breeds.   

Basically all we have to do is manage our affairs and living arrangements so that we avoid most of that nonsense and when we do bump into it, look at it as a small price to pay and a source of amusement. 😀😀

I've always taken the opportunity to ask them a few questions when the "coffee bribes" arise, such as.

1 . Are you proud of yourself.
2. Are your parents proud of you
3. Are you going to teach your children to become thieves as well.
4. Do you know that we all pity you for what you have sunk to.
5. If you really NEED the money for a good cause , go to a bank and borrow it, or just tell the truth and ask me to help you.

A person I've known here very well for about 5 years has just become a major disappointment.  I can't believe the level of deceit this person went to to get money from me.  I really thought this person was the real deal.

How wrong we can be eh....

It takes a lot to piss Yogi off, .....but this last episode ,   So bloody dissapointing.

Agreed.   Integrity?   Hen's teeth here.      :idontagree:

But y'all are staying correct? So it's kind of the cost of doing life there... but still worth it?

jucketboy wrote:

But y'all are staying correct? So it's kind of the cost of doing life there... but still worth it?

Hi Jucketboy,

Oh yeah, certainly staying.  I love the lifestyle here and those little annoying "bites" every now and then are easily managed and as I said the "gubberment" coffee money is usually only pennies in the over all scope of things.

The schmucks in the suits and offices are just wanting money for TET celebrations or a good night out.

The people closest to you ( both expat & local ) are the ones you need to watch, but that's the same in life anywhere. 😉        That's why Yogi doesn't mind the dickheads and dorks in life,,,,they are predictable and easy to budget for.

My lifestyle here is great, I see the sunrise from the ocean , and watch it set in the mountains behind me every day.  You can always rely on Mother Nature to make the day.

It's a good healthy life, plenty to do, and close to neighbouring Asian countries to explore and visit for minimal cost. 

Getting back to the thread topic.....retiring here.   DO YOUR HOMEWORK.
Make sure you can manage just about everything in your life ONLINE.   Understand your Taxation status, residence status, health insurance situation, banking arrangements,  pass port renewals, etc etc.  Make sure you have a Plan B if things implode here & don't burn all your bridges.

Oh yeah......this little snippet of advice will save you from yourself.
Get yourself neutered BEFORE  you get here.   There's too many sorry arsed "anchor daddies" here already.  Cut em off and feed them to your dog. 😆😆

..once again, the (well ours, anyway)  Messiah has spoken
the self-evident truths we all tend to ignore at our peril...   

All hail the great Yogi!!!      :thanks:

jucketboy wrote:

Hell Yeah!!!   Heaven on Earth!

Check it for yourself.        :top:

I was there for a few weeks in November and loved it.. especially Da Nang.
I may be coming back.. eventually. Retirement age is slowly creeping up on me. 56 and counting.

Agreed.  As Yogi says, do the research and have plans
in place.    The rest is too obvious to ignore.

Read the reviews.   And between the lines...

Utopia is impossible.   Viet Nam comes closest

Happiness is inevitable       :happy:

Bazza139 wrote:

..once again, the (well ours, anyway)  Messiah has spoken
the self-evident truths we all tend to ignore at our peril...   

All hail the great Yogi!!!      :thanks:

Ha ha ......Mr Bazza, your now Yogi's 12th best friend .  😆😆
Your were at last count 14th , but I've had to retrench Roy and my lady friend has slipped dramatically in the ratings.

Yogi really isn't that bright.  I'm learning  the hard way  Bazz , and after this weeks events and proceedings there's still a way to go.

(Not)  Sorry, Yogi.   You remain the same in our brave
new world.   Same as the old one...

Yogi is our inspiration.

Maybe more of a norty boy than Messiah, but still
our Catalyst for Clues...   We worship your worth.

(All) mistakes contain the gift of Appreciation

a.k.a. Lessons in Life.   These too will pass.

Roy & the GF are only collateral damage

Yogi is still our Hero        :gloria