Eating in Moscow

Hello, I will be in Moscow for four weeks in April with my daughter and her skating partner who have been invited to train with a Russian ice dancing squad.

I have never been to Moscow and have no idea about where to buy food, what's available in the way of groceries or options for cheap eating out.

What do locals eat and where do they buy cheap, healthy food? Any help very much appreciated.

Hi Figureska, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope that other members will advice you on places to go out or to buy food in Moscow.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Hello, in moscow you can buy anything food what you want, you must go in supermarket :-) or you plane eat in cafe?

Hello. Well, first of all you are welcome to Moscow. Hope you will enjoy it.
Moscow is quite expensive city, and there is a great range of supermarkets and cafes with a big price differences. For example Azbuka vkusa (Азбука вкуса) is one of the expensive supermarkets. There is also Perekrestok (Перекресток), which is the most popular supermarket in Moscow, and you can find it almost in each district of Moscow. Perekrestok is not that cheap and not so expensive, but anyway you always can find and buy there some fresh food. And there are also cheap supermarkets like Pyaterochka (Пятерочка) or Kopeika (Копейка), but i would not advise you to buy there anything, because very often they sell expired products, so if anyway you decide to buy there food i would recommend you checking the date of products expiration.

Moscow is full of different cafes. Personally i love eating in Yaposha (Япоша), you can find there both Japanese and European food, including Russian. It is not expensive cafe, and at the same time it is quite healthy. More cheap cafe is Mu-Mu (Му-му), and there is also healthy food. If you see a white cow in Moscow (not alive of course), then be sure it stands before Mu-mu. Very popular Italian restaurant is Il-patio, it is not also expensive and you can eat there very tasty pasta. And there are also a lot of cafeteria like Chocoladnica or Coffe-house.

Thanks for your helpful tips!

Oh, that's nice you are coming! I blog about moscow food - restaurants, bakeries and shopping for food. You could check out this page to get some ideas

And be sure check out
Eliseevsky - historical store

Enjoy your trip!

Hi,
I received a recommendation for bio product shopping in Moscow-- environmentalgraffiti.com/news-russia's-appetite-organic-and-bio-products

Good luck,
Lindsay
athomenetwork.blogspot.com