Visa services in Dalian?

I've been living in Dalian for eight years now <gasp!>. During that time, I've worked exclusively for universities that handled my visa services relatively cleanly, with little involvement from me.

I have now taken a great new job in international finance, but it will require me to change my visa status, and I don't know how. Does anyone know of an expert firm that can handle this type of service?

I would imagine that the HR department at your new company would deal with this. Is it a company with an office in China? Getting a work visa involves getting different permits and paperwork specifically from the company itself, which is why they should just do it.

Are you in China now then? When I quit my last job, I almost got tacked with a fee for not notifying the PSB within the deadline, but I was able to weasel out of it. I'm not 100% sure about this, but you may also be required to fly back to your home country to get the Z visa. This is something I had to do when I was switching from a family visa to a work visa, but maybe you won't need to if you're staying with the same visa type....

New company is based in the United States, and their current employees are all US-based. I'll be their first hire who will live full-time in China, so it's a new circumstance for them.

They'll be covering the lawyer's fees and other costs, but I need to figure out what needs to be done. I hope I don't have to fly home, but it could be arranged if necessary.

Have you done research for this scenario? I've never heard of someone working for a US company with no China office. As far as I know, your only visa options are either a work visa (requires a China office), or a family visa, tourist visa (which you'd have to keep renewing by flying in and out of the country), or Chinese green card

I mean, unless you are the one to *start* a new branch in China, I'm not sure how this situation would work out legally... do you know anyone else who's doing the same thing? Again, I've also traveled here on a business visa (M), but it also was limited to 90 days.