Perspective on violence -PR and Mainland

My wife and I have lived about 100 miles west of San Antonio, Texas for the last 8 years. We get our news out of San Antonio. San Antonio has roughly the same population as San Juan.

9 out of 10 nights in San Antonio there is at least one person killed in a shootout. There are many nights more than one person shot. While the media doesn't typically assign the blame to drug violence, it is pretty obvious that most of the shootings are drug/gang related. Sometimes road rage or jealously comes into the picture.

Also many nights one or two convenience stores are robbed, along with multiple homes, etc.

My question is....how does that compare to San Juan or PR in general?

bkettren wrote:

My question is....how does that compare to San Juan or PR in general?

Very similar. I don't have the actual numbers but murders went down the last years.
80% or more is drug related. http://www.laht.com/article.asp?Article … ryId=14092
If you don't go to the wrong places you should be fine although sometimes innocent people are in the wrong place at the wrong time..

I live near Atlanta and the crime rate here is off the charts. I actually feel way safer in Old San Juan where I have my apartment. Police are very present and I am quite confortable walking around alone at night, which I would never consider doing in Atlanta, and I'm not one to shy away from much of anything.

I agree with Gary but one recent practice is an attack on a car or people at a business or Gas station. Mostly from another car but recently there been a lot of attacks from motorcycles.

This raises the likelihood that innocents will be caught in the shooting, but it seems to happen rarely.

I've been here almost 11yrs, have not seen any violence, but as mentioned above, I do not court those types of relationships. I have lived in Arroyo, Guayama, Rincon, and now Isabela.

Our house is in Sabana Grande and our family lives in Yauco and Guayanilla. We feel safe traveling in between towns and going to places in the area. Of course there are areas where folks tell us are dangerous so we avoid those. Fot the general part is having common sense, don't flash money around, don't wear expensive jewelry to go grocery shopping, park in lighted area and around people. Also, don't be a hero, if by any bad luck you are facing a car jacking or robery give it to them! Material is replaceable, live is not.

Most crimes are of opportunity, don't give one.

Most everyone is familiar or has heard about Detroit's crime rate, etc. I lived in the heart of the crime areas of Detroit including the time of the 1968 riots. The Black Panthers were literally neighbors. I was never threatened or at the end of reverse prejudice. I lived in a mixed neighborhood. I came from living in the suburbs of Detroit with my parents. I experienced more emotional and psychological violence from our neighbors and community than I received in the ghettos of Detroit. Being threatened and screamed at because you walked on someone's lawn or being accused of being a delinquent because you do not accept the collectives idea of normal or you dress differently. These are relative forms of violence that can have consequences. This is one form of violence that I did not experience in the ghetto. I was allowed to be me. All this came along with the 60's movement. Now I am in Puerto Rico living in the heart of the historic district where most of the homeless and drug dependant Puerto Ricans from the area and recently prison inmates end up. I can walk around  town at any hour and feel safe. Our airbnb guest do the same. I know many of the homeless by name. I have talked with recently released prison inmates in the plaza to hear their story. I know how to navigate and respect all people and their experiences. I have been homeless and I have lived in mansions. Of course it has had its challenges like having knives and guns pointed at me and being threatened in other ways and these experiences have happened everywhere with the least of these in the ghetto of Detroit. Outside of crimes of convenience like theft. Puerto Rico gives me a sense of ease and safety. The  violent crimes that I hear of here of  seem to be out of emotional reactions in regard to relationships, drug dependency, defending one's pride and honor and mental illness. One of my big  lessons here and on the mainland is for me to be careful in who I hire for work and allowing some folks entry into my space. Some folks look at kindness as a weakness and they will try to take advantage of it, People who disguise their drug dependency are sometimes difficult to see as to who they really are. Politicians can be like this too but that is a different type of crime as is being in the wrong place at the wrong time is another type of violence.

While personal experiences are fine, anecdotes are no substitute for good data.  Here's the FBI crime statistics by state (including PR) for 2015:

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/20 … es/table-5

Some highlihghts:

Rate of violent crime per 100,000 in PR -- 219.6

Only states with lower rates:

Connecticut -- 218.5
Idaho -- 215.6
Kentucky -- 218.7
Maine -- 130.1
New Hampshire -- 199.3
Vermont -- 118.0
Virginia!  -- 195.6

States mentioned in this thread, or with high Latino/PR populations:

Texas --  412.2
Georgia --  378.3
New York --  379.7
Florida--  461.9
California -- 426.3

Don't ever go here:

Washington D.C. -- 1,269.1

I think by city should be looked at as well as State. Where is the violence concentrated. Living in Baltimore is a whole different experience than living outside of Baltimore or living in a well protected community like Guilford or Roland Park in Baltimore

Mrkpytn wrote:

I think by city should be looked at as well as State. Where is the violence concentrated. Living in Baltimore is a whole different experience than living outside of Baltimore or living in a well protected community like Guilford or Roland Park in Baltimore

It's in the data.  Follow the link and you'll see it.

The data looks interesting. I will need to print it out to be able to put it together.

Why are you even comparing states with high concentrations of Latino/PR populations? The question had to do with violence in Puerto Rico -- period -- as compared to the mainland.

The fact is, some of the states with the highest violent crime rates have low populations of Hispanics. Among the top 10 are S. Carolina, Maryland, Delaware, Tennessee and Alaska.  Tennessee, in fact, is second only to Washington D.C. Alaska is #4, with forcible rape and aggravated assault rates other states can only dream about.

Crime is often where circumstance and opportunity meet.   Keep you exposure as low as practical and make your place (car, house, etc) look like a difficult or non inviting target.   

Dogs, people (friends, neighbors etc.) good lighting, security and video systems all add up to improved crime resistance or deterrence.  Make your place look like a hard target and hopefully the bad guy will look for an easier target. 

When all else fails, remember to send the very best...hollow points.

I moved from Detroit earlier this year. I drive all over the island and feel very safe, both from ne'er-do-wells and the police leave you alone unless you actually need help (not like Detroit). Stay away from caserios (public housing) and you'll be fine here.

Thank all of you for your input.

Your feedback confirms the lessons my wife and I have learned over the years living in many cities across the country.

Use your head, don't look like a target, don't act like a target,  and show respect to those around you.

And carry a big bag of patience

ReyP wrote:

And carry a big bag of patience

Better take a truckload!!  :rolleyes: