Any expats who want to help a newbie?

Traveling to Saigon next May 2017 for 20 day exploratory visit.  Would very much like to make contact with someone who is congenial and willing to help me navigate arrival at airport and check-in at hotel.  I am there strictly for on a pleasure trip and would like to avoid committing some typical tourist mistakes that might cause confusion or heartburn.  If you have a few hours to lend, I will be most happy to compensate you...either cash or a dinner out.  Thanks for your consideration.  I am 70 but look younger and am in good health.  Practice kickboxing here at my present home in Biloxi, MS.

Launching yourself into a new country is part of the fun! You won't mess up. See this where I guide a person thru the airport, getting money, finding the Vinasun taxi. That guy is moving here so there are a couple considerations you can ignore. Search this forum for lots more info.

Do you have a hotel reservation? If not, Agoda has pretty good coverage. Print out the reservation sheet for the taxi, and also to show at the hotel.  The hotel will find you a sim card. All 3 star hotels have someone to speak enough english to get by.

If I were to meet you, I would have to get a taxi from my home, $10, then the traffic going to airport is real bad now with construction, 30mins +, find you somehow, go with you to hotel, taxi home. Don't worry you can handle that, you'll be fine!

Thanks for the tips. I am not as uncomfortable with things as I was several weeks ago. The more I have talked with people and the more I have researched things, I have become convinced I can manage. I wish I were arriving at a better time than 1:20 am. but maybe the lines won't be so long. Again thanks for the feedback.

Not to worry mate. The fun is in the venture. Gobot gave you good advice. The taxi drivers do very well if you know where it is you want to go either via a print out or on your phone. Of course initially you won't have phone service until you get a local SIM card. Find a phone service provider e.g Mobiphone etc. and get the best and fastest data service the offer, there are cheap. That way you can use the net to find the closest whatever, show it to the taxi driver or motorbike taxi and he can get you there. You will find many here who are willing to help once your on the ground. Crossing the street looks daunting. But relax, the blind do and you can do it also. Just make eye contact with the next oncoming, walk slowly it consistent way and they will know your intentions and you theirs. I see so many who want to run, or was a bit then a dash. Real good way to get hit. And remember once you reach the other lane being looking at that oncoming. See so many that seem to think every street is a one-way and thus only look one way. Before you know it you can chat while heading into oncoming smith trucks or anything that moves. Having lived here for sometime I think the system her works quite well for such a congested country. Nothing ever stops. just think merge, merge merge. And welcome to Vietnam. The bugger picking capital of the world!!!!

Wow. Sounds like getting thru customs and immigration is the easy part of this trip! But thank you for all the helpful tips. I'm up for the challenge.