Moving to Iceland

Hello. I am from New York and carry only American citizenship. My wife carries Italian citizenship. We are interested in moving to Iceland this coming summer after the birth of our firstborn child. Based on how things go, we might stay for a year or possibly for good.
We both have jobs online, graphic design and editing jobs, which support us and can be done easily from anywhere in the world.
I am confused how to go about this move? What types of visa or permits would I need, how would I get it and what types of proofs etc would I need for it?
I called so far the Iceland consulate, visa center and more and still have not gotten a clear answer.
From what I read up online, it seems like best would be for my wife who has a shengen passport to sign up and get a resident permit. Can I join her afterwards with that? Would it be harder for me to get approved because I'm not European or would her status help me?

Any insight in this is greatly appreciated.

have you checked this out? It's targeted to people in your situation:

http://utl.is/index.php/en/eea-efta-cit … -relatives

Thank you! Looks very helpful. I'll post back if I have more questions.

You should probably check those forms.

http://www.skra.is/english/forms/

The form A-262 was the one I had to fill in to apply as a EU citizen, so I guess your partner will have to fill this one.
In your case I don't know exactly, but if you scroll down the page there are PDFs with most of the information you need.

If you send them an e-mail to ask for details, they are generally keen to help.
Good luck

Thanks. Looks like that's the form I was looking for, for my wife.

What do i do with the form when it's filled out? Is it supposed to be filled out in Iceland or specifically not in Iceland, or do I just mail it?

I don't have an address abroad yet, we are planning on staying in hotels until we confirm an apartment or house. Is that an issue? What do i put down in that section?

Also, is my wife automatically accepted because she's European? Or are there things that can get in the way? For instance, is there a preference to be self employed over having a private means of support?

I reached the Iceland number, thank g-d. Hard because of the hour difference. They said that I don't need to take care of anything till I get there. I then have 3 months as a foreigner to be there.
My wife with EU citizenship should file papers once we have place to live and job, and then afterwards I should fill out my papers.
They said though that we are both accepted with out an issue, thank g-d.

Sorry for the late reply,

In my case I went there and started to work before filling in all the paperwork. My impression was that before the end of the 3 first months there's nothing to worry about.

Anyway it's better if you had a confirmation coming directly from them.

Good luck