Buying a car in the philippines.

Hi my names ken I'm from australia.
I've been living in Thailand for 14 years but my wife died and the thaI government make it hard to get visa every year they changing rules...so it's time for me to move to philipines. ..I met a lovely lady from samar ...she is travelling around thailand with me now...then in march we will go back to live in Legazpi ...I need to buy a second hand car...Honda city ..vios..something I won't loose to much money if I sell after a year or 2 as I want to go back to aus for a year and do around aust caravan trip with lovely philippine lady...
So where to buy a car..from an expat forum ?..or car yard in Manila ?..any ideas guys ?
Thanks ken

Hi Crocken,

Congratulations on finding a lovely Filipina.

For me I looked at buying a car and decided against it.  For the following reasons:

*  to find a second hand car that has being maintained would not be an easy task.
*  the depreciation considerations of selling the car is out of my reach, as the life of a car is only about 15 years at best, for a second hand car 10 years, so to replace it I would have to save about 10% each year of the originally cost of the car.
*  The running cost of the car, servicing and maintenance are out of my reach financially.
*  Petrol price is expensive.
*  Security of the car - if I was to own the car I would need a place, off the street and preferably undercover.
*  The risk of being involved in an accident.  If I was to have an accident then the legalities and costs would be a headache for me.
*  Transport here is easily available, especially if you are happy with using trikes.
*  For longer distance travel I would hire a car and driver.

I can say that currently I live in a small city, so there are many trikes and if needed taxis.

In the end up to you, just thought that I would let you know the reason I have not and am not planning on owning a car here in the Philippines.

Good luck with your move to the Philippines, I enjoy it here.

Your comments make sense...
Thanks..

Crocken,  I too have thought about a vehicle to buy.  In fact I did purchase a used owner jeep, from an expat that will be moving back to USA when he can sell his condo.  The cost of a car can be high with many problems in a sea faring country i.e. Rust.  What I did was buy the owner jeep made of stainless steel.  It does not rust.  The metal frame did have some rust spots but getting it welded was not expensive.  That way the frame was solid.  I, unfortunately had to go through it with a fine tooth comb due to finding many things wrong with it after buying it.  Replaced and rebuilt the radiator, carbourator, brakes, fixed transmission, headlight, brand new tires all around, new pistons ring, valves, and head gasket, manifold, and lastly replaced the rotting vinyl top with a very good quality top (2layers with foam between) to keep sun and heat forming coming through.  New upholstery on seats and built a back bench seat, new seat belts and retractors.  One would think I spent a fortune.    Depends on your definition.  All said and done was about 135,000 Php.  So for about $3200 total I have essentially a new jeep from 1993.  Oh yes registration title and insurance were included.   There are some very good mechanics in the Philippines and not very expensive.  I forgot to mentioned I replaced all the writing in the jeep, new gauges etc.  that only cost 1000 Php and they worked on it 2 whole days.    I want to buy a new car in 2 years for my family a new  SUV.  But looking at prices of at least 2 million Php,  I am considering ordering a new larger jeep from Imus with all the bells and whistles on it, including power steering and good hard top cover with windows so a/c will work well.  Add on a good diesel motor for maybe 600-750,000 Php and I have the same thing and not have to worry about rust and getting in a wreck,  sleep better at night. So spending $7-8000 against $35-45,000 seems like a no brainer to me.   Consider getting a used jeep or even a new one, last longer and probably run better, certainly cheaper to work on.  rainrider9