Tips for leaning suvival Arabic faster?

Hello all.  I have been reading the posts here the last few days and found them so helpful, I am here from the US on an expat assignment for 6 months.  It is my third week,  Any tips on how to learn Arabic faster?  I am humbled that out of courtesy, the staff at my job will convert to speaking English if I am in the meeting, even though for some of them it makes the communication tougher.   I don't want to wear out that welcome and I want to pick up Arabic (at least to understand generalities) as quickly as possible.  I have started Rosetta Stone on-line course (3rd day) but I am finding it slow and tedious.  I carry around a pocket dictionary but looking up isolated words is not helping much with conversatinal understanding.  Any advice, tips, what has worked for you?  Perhaps, just be patient with the Rosetta Stone?  Willing to try anything else more intense even if at a monetary cost. I welcome your suggestions.

what can i say.. language classes!! i tried myself many time to learn Arabic on my own or by some sort of online free resources. never worked :( but when i joined all sorts of classes - back home and here i can actually see it is improving and what is most important - you can gain confidence when speaking to teacher (at least teacher will not laugh when u make mistakes - i hate when ppl do it!). i m currently learning at arab academy (arabacademy.com) and i know they have many different courses and levels. give them a call or email - i am sure they will be able to help. good luck!! Rabena m3ak isA

Hi Edlind
For me the fastest way to learn arabic it was actually with my housekeeper, while she was talking no english or any other language but arabic and no desire to learn english, so i had no choice but to learn few words a day from her, and in no time i found myself talking. Maybe you can give a try to this way, you have nothing to lose, in the end. Good luck.

i wish i had a housekeeper! :D

You can get one, but must be egyptian in order to help you with arabic :)

Welcome to Cairo.  The previous suggests are great if you have a housekeeper or if you have time to go to courses.  Being around Egyptians who will explain in English what they are saying is very helpful.  Please check that your version of Rosetta Stone is Egyptian Colloquial Arabic and not classical Arabic (Fus har).  Whilst Egyptians will understand what you are saying, it is more helpful if you learn the everyday language that Egyptians use with each other.  Good luck.

i have Rosetta Stone with 3 levels Arabic any one like has it just ask me and i will send the DVD for him free of charge
also i have other DVD for (Italian, German and French) for anyone interested
i like to have the Turkish but cannot find it so  if anyone has it please send it to me :-)

Hello Edlind,
I can give you some private Arabic lessons.

Hey.. so how is the search going? I hope you have contacted my school because they also do online interactive courses and maybe this could be better option for you. it works much better than Rosetta Stone (i know because i tried both!). let me know if you need more information.