Expat living in Entre Rios (and I don't speak spanish)

Hello, I am new t this blog spot.  I have been living in Entre Rios Argentina for the last two months.  I moved here with my 6 year old daughter to settle down with my boyfriend (he is Argentino). It is a wonderful country but I am having a lot of trouble feeling happy and fitting in because I don't speak spanish.  My daughter loves it here and speaks quite a bit of spanish. My boyfriend tells me that I will pick up the language in time but I do not believe it is that easy.  I am having trouble finding someone to teach me spanish.  Any advice on how to pick up the language faster?  I am so tired of not being able to understand anything anyone says.  One on one I am ok, but here conversations are never one on one, just groups of people talking at the same time.  I feel quite alone.

I wish you the very best and unfortunately, I do not know Entre Rios or know anyone there who could assist.  I know here in Buenos Aires there are language exchange groups to assist as well as schools and institutes.  Possibly you could arrange to do a language exchange with someone interested in improving his or her English and you could work with that person on your Spanish.  I also know there are tons of websites and online companies offering Spanish tutoring and learning programs.

The best of luck to you!

Hi! Welcome to Argentina. Moving here from the States is a big adjustment, and I can imagine how frustrated you must feel with your limited ability to communicate. While you'll probably pick up Spanish slowly over time by virtue of the fact that you're immersed in it, I think you'd definitely benefit from some basic classes to give you a jump start.

I think WynnWoods gave some very helpful suggestions. I would look for someone who would like to do a language exchange with you. If that's not an option, there's also a Spanish language learning program you can purchase online called Bueno, entonces... which focuses specifically on the slang and unique Spanish of Argentina.

Lastly, although it won't help you with your Spanish, I would recommend that you take a look at some of the many Expat.coms bloggersinargentina.blogspot.com a good list that are out there. I live in a relatively small city on the coast (Necochea), and I know that connecting with other expats in Buenos Aires, Mar del Plata, etc. really helped me with my transition.

I wish you all the best! ¡Suerte!