Driving in western Equador OK?

What are the conditions on the west coast of Ecuador, especially after the earth quake that happened awhile back?  I plan to go from Salinas north to Esmeraldas by car next month (Jan. 2017) and am wondering about the state of the roads. Haven't been able to find out much. Any feedback  - rough areas, tourble sport, etc - would be appreciated.

Be very careful around Esmeraldas....

Thanks, AMDG. Are you speaking specifically about the roads? Because I've also heard that Esmeraldas can be dangerous sometimes, I mean crime.

No I am not speaking about the roads.......they are pretty much the same as the rest of Ecuador......crime is the concern there. 
I live among Ecuadorians and they share this feeling.  No problem to stay on main roads, especially during the day.  It is dangerous, more so for gringos.

Thanks for your alert.

Having been attacked on the Panamericana in southern Colombia several nights ago, I too advise against driving at night -- especially after 9 p.m. -- in rural areas of northern Ecuador and southern Colombia .. where terrorists, thieves and other opportunists may operate.

Visit the State Department's travel.state.gov website for Ecuador under Safety for their advisory.

My posts about the monos en motos who vandalized my car, destroying a windshield -- while it was speeding along the highway! -- is on expat.com's Colombia Forum post “Frightening Attack By Moto Night Riders."

cccmedia

More earthquakes just hit Esmeraldas province.  Three quakes of magnitudes 3.8 to 5.2 hit off the coast .. causing property damage in Esmeraldas (still being evaluated) and closing schools, today -- Monday, December 12, 2016.

Just another reason not to drive around or hang around coastal Ecuador in this época if you don't really need to.

cccmedia

Thanks very much cccmedia. It might be time to rethink the travel plans.

Roads from Playas through Salinas through MOntantia and up to Puerto Lopez and Manta/ Crucita are fine.

A bit more issues up to Canoa.

As for Esmeraldas, parts of that area are gorgeous! And deserve a look.

The southern portions of Esmeraldas are very popular tourist areas for Quito.

I have lived here on the coast for over 8 years now in the provincia Santa Elena between Anconcito which is near Salinas and now in Montañita.  I was here in Montañita during the earthquake and since that time.

The Ruta de Spondylus (formerly the Ruta de Sol) is a good thruway with small villages along the way, plenty of sights to see and places to stop for meals and overnights.

During the big holidays Christmas and New Years and Carnaval it is crowded and difficult to find lodging so pre plan

Thanks, Susan! Wasn't there anothe earthquake yesterday? No damage to the area I hope.

Also, I hear that Esmeraldas is dangerous - not the roads, but crime. But it sounds lovely. Worth going there? Tips for staying safe?

Thank you!

We have had aftershocks ongoing since April. This is normal after a quake of this magnitude. Most shocks are diminishing in scale and average between 3.5 and 4.8 far below the 7.8 that occurred almost 7 months ago. A 5.2 is greater than normal but still unexceptional.

It should be noted however that most insurance companies that secure HOA in the Manta & Crucita areas have decided to hold funds for rebuilding until there are no tremors reported above 3.5 for a period of time. Also note that some structures which withstood the initial quake and subsequent tremors can still fail structural integrity so keep that in mind if part of your drive is searching real estate.

Esmeraldas Province is both the most lush and the most poor of our provinces. Due to the poorer infrastructure and effects of the earthquake, daytime driving is urged.

The northern border with Colombia, similar to the US border with Mexico, should be avoided.

I live in Tonsupa ( Atacames) Esmeraldas.
The last strong aftershock created some cracks in several buildings, but no major damages or casualties.
Regarding crime:  No matter where you travel, you must be careful not to get involved in unsafe situations  such as travelling during the night time, or strolling along the beach by yourself.
I have had no issues so far; but follow safe advises  as per other's recommendations.
For me , Tonsupa - Esmeraldas is a hidden paradise.

Marco.

Agreed that safety largely depends on you, situational awareness and avoidance of dangerous situations......also understanding what, where and when are dangerous.....
No absolutes but you can most definitely minimize risks.
It is important I believe to seek guidance from locals.

Thanks, Marco. I've been to Ecuador several times, but not yet up to the border.

And yes, common sense helps a lot toward staying safe.