Bank account in peru

Hello ,
I am leaving my country to Peru forever therefor i want to close all my bank accounts before i leave
is there is a way to open a bank account in Peru from distance to transfer my savings before i leave my country?

Thank you

No, as a visitor and on a Visa you cannot open an account.

When you obtain residency, then you will be welcomed by the banks.

In the meantime you can use your cards at the ATM to withdraw funds while you are here before you obtain residency.

There will be some fees from both your homeside bank as well as the ATM provider.

I've read it was possible to open an account with Interbank without being a resident, but surely not remotely.

No,,,

Interbank Will Not open an account with Anyone UNLESS you are a Citizen or a Legal Resident.

Same for BCP, Scotia or any other bank here in Peru.

They will not even talk with you / you are INVISIBLE

You will need to work with Pocket Cash that you bring and possible Bank Checks that you carry which you have withdrawn from your Home Bank to be deposited when you do become a resident and can bank

You can also use ATM's to withdraw funds on Interbank Global atm machines....... There is a fee from Interbank and a daily limit....

and possible fees from your home bank to which the card is attached......

You must tell your home banks that you will be in South America traveling or in Peru and your card will work. If you do not they will look at an International Transaction as a potential Fraudulent Transaction and block it and the card........

Some home banks will reverse a specific # of transaction fees per month.....

[ and in case your going to ask...... NO,, you cannot initiate a Wire Transfer remotely,, you have to order from the home location ]

There's this though:

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Peru … k-accounts

This is an article from 2009 (dunno if it's still valid):

http://streetsoflima.com/interbank-will … t-in-peru/

Excerpt: "Still, not to fear since Interbank will allow you to open an account…as long as you open it in one of their Supermarket counters and NOT in one of their regular branches (this was the rule at one time, I don't know if it's the same anymore…it seems so frickin' absurd you'd think it wouldn't be, but if there's one thing I've learned in my life it's that the world rarely makes sense)."

Definitely,,, this was not my experience.....

I went to many banks, spoke to branch managers and they were not at all interested.

Money Laundering is a major concern throughout Peru.... moving substantial sums of money requires signed affadavits...

You could hope for an easier way but I suggest you plan for the most common and accepted path.

If you work it out another way then fine but you need a fallback position that you can count on.

In any case,, you are going to need the Carnet, and this is a whole other set of obstacles and challenges but in the end... worth it in every way.....Once obtained.... all paths become easier....

With the exception of the Right to Vote and possibly the Right to Work,, you are treated as a Citizen....

AND......

there are no bad feelings about Residents here... and even though a gringo,,, it is not a derogatory sentiment.........

Indeed. One big question for me is what becomes of SWIFT transfers when they land with the bank in Peru. As far as I understand Peru wants 100% of your pension to land on a local bank account for the rentista visa. If your lose, say 10% of the money in banking fees (+ ATM fees), retiring in Peru no longer means a tax free pension. Plus, if you don't spend all the money and want to tour neighbouring countries, eg Chile, is it easy and cheap to convert your Soles in the bank to Chilean pesos? Of course Peru wants you to spend your money in Peru, not to use Peru as a base to spend your money elsewhere ....

Overall, I think satisfactory banking arrangements are the limiting factor for retirement overseas.

""......what becomes of the Swift transaction??""

What!, do you think becomes of the Swift transaction!!

Your money is immediately made available at your bank in your account ready for withdrawal....

Interbank has a relationship with US and possible other countries where for no fees these monies arrive. You can open an account the day you get your Carnet. The branch is on Polo Ave. near the US Embassy in Lima. After, you can change your branch to the one of your local in Peru to avoid any Regional fees....

Peru does not care where your pensions land. If you want to bank Stateside or in the Caman Islands of Switaerland,,,,, it makes No Difference to Peru but moving money will be complicated and costly........

The only way you can lose the 10% you mention is if you choose to do that.
The typical method suggested above is cost and fee free !

Making currency conversions in the Bank is to your disadvantage as the rate is never quite as good as in the kiosks at the mall and other places. These currency exchanges work at a better rate than the banks. Chilean money is not so popular so you will not see that so often. What you will see is The Dollar, the Euro. Maybe in the future you will see the Pound when Britian escapes the EU.

I think the Peruvian banking arrangements are efficient and fair in every way. I do not see any limitation or drawback whatsoever in the current set up.
I fail to see where you see flaws that have you thinking you are somehow being constrained or restricted by the prevailing setup.

My money will be transferred from Europe (Germany). I see many Peruvians here sending money through Western Union or Moneygram etc., so I wonder whether Germany-to-Peru transfers are as efficient as US-to-Peru transfers, because Western and Moneygram are comparatively expensive. The proof of the pudding is in the eating so I will have to effect such a transfer to test what happens as regards bank fees + exchange rate (if the fees are very low but the applied exchange rate crappy you lose money too).

I remember seeing long queues in front of "Banco del Peru" in Miraflores. If I remember right they were pointed to me as people waiting to buy hard currency and having to show the trip they'd booked abroad to be allocated an amount in dollars, euros etc.  But this is some time ago. And come to think of it, they may have been queuing for other reasons.

If this aspect of retiring in Peru is no problem at all as you suggest from your US angle, I may go for Peru instead of Thailand where accessing and spending your money as you see fit is not whithout pitfalls and frustrations.

Alright, Germany then.....................

I would guess that Germany has some sort of affiliation with other countries for German Expats. My tack would be to contact the German Embassy in Peru and see what they have available for German Expats living in Peru in the way of Banking or any other services.............

Just remember that Peru's second currency is the Dollar and second to that is the Euro. Since Merkel is so up on the EU I would guess that your funding is payable in Euros so your in.........

Peruvian Banks set up dual accounts with two sides,,, one being the Dollar or Euro and the other the Sole.  Separate but one account........ with two #'s

The users of MoneyGram or WU are expensive and I think for me would be a one time emergency. The rates are high. There are workers sending money home from their earnings and in a way of thinking it is manual and not automated..... and in cash.............. I think your situation is different...........

I suggest you convert your funds to Soles in the kiosks that are readily available.........the banks and other commerical places will short you.......

The lines that you sayw in Miraflores were at Banco de Nacion.............. Always LONG lines even here all day long / every day in Trujillo..........

These are mostly Peruvians paying any fees to the gov't or city or municipalities for taxes, fees and thing legal.........licensing and permits and so forth..........

This has Nothing To Do With You...............for the most part with the following exception............[ You will pay your Carnet associated fees at the Banco de Nacion ]...................I don't understand why anyone would be there buying "hard" currency. It is not an exchange .... it is really more so that all cash handling and payments are centralized there proven by the issued receipt........This way the cash and transactions are SAFE and Secure with respect to the thinking of Gov't.

I do not think highly of Thailand regarding the One China Policy that may heat up in the near future as related to China also Taking Over the China Sea............. Certainly that part of the world is a HOTSPOT.........Also South America is very West / Euro oriented.............. not so Eastern... so things might be more familiar for you here....

I suggest a trip of travel and experience to see how the atmosphere here suits you..............

My experiences with financial transactions as per the set up that I have described is a smooth and fluid as olive oil in a hot cast iron pan.............

I was over 20 times in Peru for short holidays over the past 15 years and Spanish has become 2nd nature to me. The only thing that scares me in Peru are earthquakes. I don't trust their seismic building code and anyway  if you want to move about the country you're likely to find yourself more often than not in "picturesque" lodgings that will come down like a house of cards at the first strongish earthquake.

What attracts me in the Peruvian system is that there's no hassle with reporting every 3 months etc. You pick up your visa and are free to move about provided you maintain an address for residence. As you may have heard a new (simplified!) set of rules for rentistas and other foreigners is in the pipeline (publication due in March).

Toward the South in Arequipa and further there is a lot of seismic activity. The Columbia Venezuela area as well,,,, In between,, no so much at all...........

Who knows what the future will bring....

In recent times new buildings claim to incorporate better structure to handle tremors and quakes but who is to say ..... certainly though,, new buildings will fare better than old ones............

The Perpetual Visa where you can cross a border and return to renew your legal stay is Over.

Now,,,, you can only be in Peru for 6 months out of any year..... so your time is limited with Visa status.......or tourist status.....

Of course Employment Status would change that if you have support from a company you were working at.......

With the Carnet / you Have To Be Here 1/2 of the days of the year in any given year or you lose your residency..........

Sounds to me that you know Peru well,,,,, I think you will enjoy it when you arrive and settle..............

Hello Pistachio,
I am interested in your particular comments here.
We are planning to move to Peru/Lima from Australia sometime this year to live.
We have been to Peru several times during the past 10 years.

Anyway, my bank here has advised me that the best way for us to take a large sum of money (apart from ready cash and travel cash cards) is by taking a bank draft, instead of bank transfers which attract charges all the way through, and there is a limit how much we can transfer internationally.

We have established that Scotia Bank will accept our bank draft, after I have my foreign residents card. Took a couple of direct phone calls by my wife to establish that situation.

I am aware that the arrival procedure requires declaration of sums ( cash or bank instruments) in excess of US$30,000. I am currently awaiting advice about that situation from the Peru Embassy/consulate in Australia....waiting,waiting,waiting...I am apprehensive about it all in case Peru authorities hang onto our bank draft.
My queries to you, for advice based on your experience(s), are :
I did read in your posting, that there are procedures/hurdles/obstructions to go through to be successful ....is all of that done in Lima ?
What documents should I prepare in Australia prior to moving ?
How long does all the procedure(s) take in Lima ?
Do they apply any deductions or taxes to our bank draft amount ?

My wife is a Peruvian, with me in Australia.
I am very aware of the famous/infamous saying in Peru..."you need one more document".. .so I want to be well prepared. :-)
Hoping that you can give my some more info and good advice,
Regards,
Peter

hi....

ok........ once you obtain Residency you can open a bank account at BCP, Interbank, Scotia,, or any and Amy of them will let you deposit a check or whatever....... Small fees for International Checks and a little delay,, not what your used to but in time,,, the funds land......

I do not know if a bank draft or check is by definition an instrument. My guess is that you will have them made out to yourself......and I know that they are negotiable for an extended length of time....
You could have a number of checks drawn so you don't have the farm on only one......

I would simply carry the checks as any other documents that you bring and have them securely in your carryon.........The are not cash.... which in the states is limited to carry / $10,000.oo.

Really,, all of the legwork to get your residency,, whichever you apply for,,, Rentista,, Marriage, Investment,,, will take place in Lima and it will take a few days Minimum......

You wife can help you ,,, you don't need an attorney.....

You need to decide which you will apply for,, so visit Immigracions...... then get the list of procedures.... and then you travel all over after paying all fees at the Bank de Nacion....

You get receipts which you use to validate your visit to each step on the list....

Remember,, the whole Cache of papers you collect will be part of your APPLICATION  for Residency. You want to get everything together perfect so it is accepted and not bounced back to you for more travels to complete.

Once you application is accepted count on about 3 months to get your Carnet.

If you apply for Rentista,, then you have to show proof [ a document ] that you receive $1000 per month income. This document you will have to have OFFICIALLY translated to present it as part of your application. [ Can take up to two days and of course a fee from the OFFICIAL translator ]

You may go the marriage route,, so you have to have your marriage certified and without proof of income your wife has to sign yearly that she can and will support you.

Your Tax status can change depending on which Residency you apply for.... so better to discuss with Immigracions........to see what works best for you.....

You may have to have your passport VALIDATED at your Embassy,,,, of course,, probably a fee...this will be shown as part of your application also.....

Some ideas:

Renew your passport.. to get extended length of time before renewal here.
Renew your Aust. Driv Lics,,, to have the longest or farthest Exp. date.....
Get an International Drivers License - It can help you here on the roads...
If Aust issues a short form Passport in the form of a Card,,, get it too....
If your going to prove Income,, get docs from provider....
Birth Certificate
Marriage License

Notify banks that you will use your credit and debit cards in South America / if you don't the transactions will be flagged as fraud and denied...

Make sure that your debit card will be capable to use ATMS here for cash withdrawals...

MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING INCLUDING YOUR PASSPORT AND STORE......

Ok,, so,, if something comes to mind - note me !

pistachio

Thank you very much for all your advice,Pistachio. Yes, it seems that I should investigate with the immigration dept' which visa is best for me/us. Of course the missus doesn't need one,being a Peruvian and still has her current DNI.
A little info on us...I am 69 years old( retired here for 3 years) and the Peruana missus is 54.

About this paragraph from you ..."You may go the marriage route,, so you have to have your marriage certified and without proof of income your wife has to sign yearly that she can and will support you."
We got married in Peru in 2006 and have the original marriage certificate in Spanish. I can get proof of my pension, my Navy pension ( Royal Aust' Navy), no worries....but, seeing as we are bringing a reasonably large sum of money( in bank draft made out to me, or both), which will fund our buying a house,or apartment and living costs for the rest of our lives etc etc, ....and this will be  deposited into our "new" combined bank account in Lima
....do you think that will suffice as the "proof" that they need ?

I guess that I will have to wait for the Peruvian Embassy's (Aust') reply/advice about the "bank instrument" bit. Cash wise, we never bring much of the folding(for obvious reasons in Peru) and have sufficient in Travel Money cards for general expenses etc.
Ummm, yes, good idea 99, I may have the "farm"put into a couple of bank draft/cheques, and leave some in our Aussie bank account for back up, in case the **** hits the fan.

Initially, we will be residing with the wife's Mom, in Lima, until all these procedures/requirements are successfully concluded.Lucky us !! :-)

A few more queries,please...
1) We will be travelling on our Aussie passports, of course... but I am wondering why I would have to "validate" my passport with the Aussie Embassy in Lima (Miraflores) ?
If I have to, I have to, no worries...but just wondering why validation is required of an official passport.
Oh, I have just renewed my passport last week...so it's good for 10 years now...same with my driver's licence...but that is no biggie, because no way am I ever driving in Lima...that would have to be a kamikaze licence !! ha ha.
2) About visas...as an Aussie, we are not required to have an "entry visa" into Peru...I can stay for up to 6 months if I was just travelling...anyway, my query here is...I have read that for any visa to live in Peru, has a waiting period of 2 years after I receive the CE....and the CE is defined as a foreign resident's card as such....so if that is as per its seemingly definition...is a visa actually required ? Maybe a dumb question, but wanted to ask anyway !! :-)

3) The Formulario F-004, which gets mentioned a lot, do we have to complete that before arrival, or after ? ....I have printed that form from the internet already (in Spanish of course).

That's all I can think of at this time...and our sincere thanks to you for your comprehensive advice in this forum, and the time you devote to answers....you certainly seem to have your finger on the pulse over there...and i have noted that you have been very kind to many other posts here....just the person we were seeking !! :-)

Cheers,
Peter.

Peter

go here and read this:

http://www.expatperu.com/expatforums/vi … hp?t=28637

I will reply to your note in a short while

the above post will fill in some blanks and connect some dots...

Wow, all of that sounds very complex....but will await your forthcoming advice. Thanks, Pistachio.

ok, this page is honest and clear.

The procedures are complex but not tricky

they seem illogical

and  they Are Tedious

HERE IS A MAP OF THE GENERAL PROCESS

http://limacitykings.com/resident-visa- … -marriage/

still, will reply to you more later.....

okaaaaaaaaaaaaaay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, here we go.................

Yes,, there is more than one sensible option for you. You could become a resident on the basis or your marriage. The process here will vary a little as you have to verify the marriage and I believe she has to acknowledge she is supporting you. I do not think proof is required as to how she will do this. You would become a Resident and receive your Carnet. I think this Carnet will have to be renewed yearly possibly with a fee and also that your wife will have to reaffirm support yearly. Just saying, the Carnet De Extranjeria is your resident "Green Card"  showing you are a legal Resident.

Suppose you were not married or that you did not want to go in this marriage direction.

You could apply as a Rentista... to get the Carnet. The process is similar only here you have to PROVE with documentation from the payer,, an Income Monthly of not less than $1000. You take your document,, from a pension or retirement fund or annuity to an Official Translator who will translate to Spanish OFFICIALLY for presentation in some Legal Matter [ here it is the Carnet ]. You get Red Ribbons on the New Document like you won 1st place in a county fair  [ woo hoo ]. Takes about two days to get. This gets submitted as part of your Carnet Appliciation along with all of the other items that you have to provide and comply with.

Now,, In either case,, after Two Years you an apply for Citizenship...
The Difference being that with Citizenship you have the right to Vote...

Now,, you might think this is good,, I will do that... ok,, first,, Does your home country allow dual citizenship. Also, and of Utmost Importance... your Tax Status changes as a Citizen and you are accountable to Peru for Taxes on ALL WORLD INCOME..... including retirement packages, annuities and pensions............. so,,, now you are thinking about this differently...........

OK,, I do not know about the marriage Carnet but with the Rentista you Do Not Have The Right To Work.  [ ok,, I do not think you are concerned about this ]

With the Rentista Carnet,, it is without expiration date and no annual fee.

With all Carnets.... you have to be in the country for 1/2 of the amount of day in a year each year. If your out over 1/2 the days,, you lose your residency..........

When you have made your Application for the Carnet ,,, your Entry Visa is time suspended and days of it expiring do not count. You Visa is extended or continued through the application process once the application is accepted by Immigracion.......

You Embassy may have a relationship with a bank here,, maybe Interbank, where your Pension benefits can be Automatically deposited to your account. Most accounts here when you open them have TWO SIDES - One side for Soles the other for Dollars..........

So,, you withdraw Dollars and convert to Soles as you need. [ NOT at the bank,, they give lower exchange rates..... you go to a kiosk of your choice on the street and exchange there ] Right now the exchange rate is 3.26 s/. for each dollar.  It can vary day to day.............The Peruvian gov't props of the sole as it is better for Export and try to keep it level but they can only buy so much currency so there is a limit. If the Dollar becomes Strong you get better exchange rates.... I expect with Trump we will see better exchange rates......[ but for the Peruvian economy,, it becomes the reverse ]

I think it is sensible to make a number of bank drafts and open accounts at different banks,,, BCP, Scotia, Interbank - once you get the carnet....

okaaaaaaaaaaaay.................. driving here is uncivilized, no rules and no courtesies.......... At first you drive very defensively... then when you realize your being beaten up you start to fight back.....

I got like this for a while and would not let anyone outdrive me,,,, but I felt like I was a NASCAR driver so I have become more docile ......

Funny,, if you stop for a pedestrian,,, they don't know what to do... because they expect to get run over.....
and drivers behind you will honk you kinda saying,,, hey,,,, run them down............

Funny too because Peruvians I have found to be friendly and courteous.. but behind the wheel,, it is Armageddon............. and YET,,,,,,,,, with all of the gymnastics and near misses and right of way violations and cut offs and beeping,,, no one gets angry,, Because I think,, it is expected, accepted and they all just travel on...........

I would not worry about the bank instrument response,,,,, your not a musician,,, get your checks and travel.............

Make sure you have ATM privileges for your Aust. Debit Cards in Dollars........... for quick cash............

It will be at least 3 months from start to finish with the Carnet,,, maybe you will rent a place,,, it might be better for you,, of course,, you decide.........

I have to Validate my US passport at the embassy. It is Authenticated for the application. You may have to do this by visiting the Embassy and paying a fee..........You might have to make an appointment online to visit your embassy,, sometimes you can't just show up... by appointment only,, maybe...... you will check.......

When you enter ask for a Visa Extension.... you can say you want to do volunteer work.....or your wife's mom or sister is ill,,, whatever,,, Ask.............

There are no forms to complete prior to coming......... you will fill out a ticket of declaration on your Flight..........

KEEP THIS LITTLE BIT OF PAPER SAFE.... you need it later..................

you declare your cash with it..............

ok............. Electric here is 220v...... cell phone, ok,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, computer............ok............ most everything else,,,, NO..................

and........ Computers here are limited to being SPANISH ONLY... Single Idioma.........

If you need a computer here,,, buy it there Now and bring.............[ electric of 220v is ok for computers ]

ok,,,,  that takes care of your first note.......

If I missed something,,,, shout back...................

ok,, I think we are caught up....

but for clarification.............

"""""2) About visas...as an Aussie, we are not required to have an "entry visa" into Peru...I can stay for up to 6 months if I was just travelling...anyway, my query here is...I have read that for any visa to live in Peru, has a waiting period of 2 years after I receive the CE....and the CE is defined as a foreign resident's card as such....so if that is as per its seemingly definition...is a visa actually required ? Maybe a dumb question, but wanted to ask anyway !! :-) """"""""

this was a reference to being able to apply for citizenship after having had the Carnet de Extranjeria for Two Years...........you will obtain the tourist visa upon entry..........

alright........... talk with you again................

ps  if you use or like Cast Iron Pans for cooking,,, bring yours,, they don't exist here,,, IMPOSSIBLE to find..........

Wow, if you are in Peru at this moment, you were awake early !!

Thanks very much for all your advice and time to do it...much appreciated, P.

Married basis visa sounds the better option for me ( we are married and were so in Lima in 2006) and the ongoing annual costs etc. are okay. But if we are bringing a sufficient money to live on and buy an apartment or house etc etc...maybe they'll waver her "support " bit ?
Think I'll forget about the rentista visa...but thanks for the info anyway.
Although Australia permits dual citizenships, I don't intend to become a Peruvian citizen, just a foreign, married resident.

Our travel money cards and Aussie debit cards work in Peru. We've done that a few times on our visits in the past 10 years. :-) No worries.

Computers...the computers here are 220/240 volts BUT are 50Hz, not 60Hz as is in Peru...so not an option really.

I like Metropolitano busesand they're cheap in comparison to much else... so car not needed, plus the missus is very good at bartering with taxi drivers !! :-)
I've taken onboard all the other info that you kindly laid out...ta !

Still not confident about the bank draft/cheque(s)as "bank instruments" bit,...my gut feeling is that I will have to declare the total amount...but will wait to see if the Peruvian Embassy here can clarify that precisely....don't want to break any regulations and have them come back to bite me on the bum !! :-)

That's all for now....and a BIG thank you again,
Cheers,
Peter

ok,,,, so,, married is better.... well,,,,,,,,, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

LoL!

so... just be sure about the Tax Status.....and I will say.... Rentista works Perfectly !!  if you find the married way has any particular negative implications....it is a fallback position...

look on your computer power supply box / on the wire to the wall... read it,,,, I think that the transformer can work the HZ .... of course,, you check.....it will give you ranges of V's and Htz's

I don't think you have to declare the checks,,, they are not bearer bonds... and also they are not negotiated.... you have nothing but the check in your possession,, not currency...
It's value is only a Promise of payment... [ pretty good argument, no ! .. haha! ]

ok,, okay,,,, ok ok ok.........a day before you leave you have your checks made... [ made copies for safekeeping ] and you DHL or FED EX them to your family's address in Lima....
You fly out and beat the delivery here... and accept them here......

remember too,,, Lima is one of Many livable places here in Peru.... if you purchase and settle,, it will be for Years so pick the right spot....

................pistachio

On the banking side we opened an account with both BBVA and BCP with our passports and the Migraciones stamp that allows you to sign contracts. We were sponsored by family who owned businesses and banked with that branch. When we received our CE we simply went into the bank, showed our CEs and the change over was done. Both banks gave us debit cards straight away - only need a pin not a CE or DNI as credit cards do.
Since then we have thrown BBVA away and opened an account with Scotiabank using our CEs - only took 15 - 20 minutes. My pension is paid in USD direct from the UK to my account.

Hola Pistachio, I am baaaack ! :-)
I have a question on private healthcare insurance...I am asking here as that topic elsewhere on this site has been inactive for ages...so thought I'd have a better chance to ask here and of you(or others), hopefully that's okay.
Do you have private health insurance in Peru? How are the costs of such insurance(s) ? Would be for my wife & I, in combination.
I guess there, like here in Aussie, there could be limits to what can be covered for how much money, or percentage(s), versus what out-of-pocket expenses we could expect in hospitals & doctors etc etc.
Is there a waiting time for some certain,existing medical conditions ?
Any advice +/or directions( from you or others) would be much appreciated...because we would want to do that very quickly after our arrival.
Cheers,
Peter

Private Health Insurance is available, here are Three Companies that provide:
Rimac
La Positiva
Pacifico

Plans are Similar with small variations.
There are usually three levels of coverage to choose from largely based on what clinics you can go for treatment.
Each offers some kind of Well Care...checkups and that sort.

Premiums are based on age.
Coverage is based on Non Pre Existing conditions.
You have to get a physical from a physician,, sometimes you pick and other they pick the Doctor.
Pre Existing Conditions are ruled out.
Some conditions even though Not Pre Existing are delayed for coverage up to 10 months.
There may be an upper age limit at which you won't be able to apply for coverage at all.

When I looked in to it I found depending on Company and Coverage the premiums to be 9000 to 12000 S/. annually.... for one person........

Any one of the companies will provide you with more detailed and accurate info and rates but this is what I found ..........

It may be possible to get membership of some kind in a clinic or something but I know nothing about it.... Of course,, you would want a more comprehensive policy to include hospitalization and emergencies where a local clinic could not provide care....

Mucho gracias, mate !! :-)

G'day Pistachio, Just to come back on my earlier comment that I was awaiting a reply from the Peru Consulate here in Aussie...about the declaring of "monetary instrument(s) " upon entering Peru.

I waited for a week and a half, after I sent my email query...no answer....so I called him (no name,no pack drill  !!), he offered no apology for not answering...and to top it all off...he could ( or would not ?) answer me...said he didn't know...I said that I thought he. of all people, would be able to answer about his country's regulations...but no.
Bloody hell !...I guess that we will have to "wing it " on that issue, eh ?
So will take a couple of "bank draft"cheques from my bank here, in my name (no "or bearer") and declare it/them only if becomes necessary, as I really want to do the correct thing and not fall foul of the law before I/we even begin living in Peru.
Wish me luck !! :-/
Chau por ahora,
Peter.

It is Typical to get mis information, conflicting information and no information from Peruvian offices on administrative processes, rules and procedures.

Your bank checks should be made out to you and possibly marked 'for deposit only'

On the flight in you will fill out a little form for declarations and info....

you can declare the cash you are carrying or other things that are listed...........

The drafts I would safeguard and regard like any other documents you are bringing,, birth certificates, driver licenses and so on.

I suppose you could have them made out to you OR your wife....as well...........then either could negotiate them whichever might be more convenient........

G'day Pistachio,
I have recently read somewhere (here I think) that the Peruvian government/immigration is rumoured to be introducing new, simplified immigration & visa law/requirements next month (March). Have you, or anyone else, heard/read anything in that regard ?
Cheers,
Peter

Peter D L wrote:

G'day Pistachio,
I have recently read somewhere (here I think) that the Peruvian government/immigration is rumoured to be introducing new, simplified immigration & visa law/requirements next month (March). Have you, or anyone else, heard/read anything in that regard ?
Cheers,
Peter

Yes, here: http://peru.com/actualidad/mi-ciudad/pe … cia-494119

I could find no details regarding what the changes are in practice. What I would like to see is a simplification of the redtape obstacle course. It's little  use to get a visa valid for 5 years instead of 3 if it remains an uphill struggle to get it.

G'day all.

I have a query on ATM's, in Lima, when using a Travel Money card. I cannot remember details from my previous uses in 2014.

In US$'s, what is the current max' that can be extracted in one hit ? $100 or $ 200 ?
I seem to remember that Scotia was $100, and maybe BCP was $200 ????
Also, what are smaller denominations ? in lots of $20's  eg. 40,60,80 ?

Hope someone has some recent experience and can advise me. :-)

Cheers,
Peter

G'day Pistacio.

I have a query on ATM's, in Lima, when using a Travel Money card. I cannot remember details from my previous uses in 2014.

In US$'s, what is the current max' that can be extracted in one hit ? $100 or $ 200 ?
I seem to remember that Scotia was $100, and maybe BCP was $200 ????
Also, what are smaller denominations ? in lots of $20's  eg. 40,60,80 ?

Hope someone has some recent experience and can advise me. :-)

Cheers,
Peter

here are some immigration websites:

http://www.expatperu.com/ioffices.phphttps://www.migraciones.gob.pe/

Yes,, there have been some changes in rules and requirements......

I am going to assume that you want to take money from a Non Peruvian Account  here in Peru...

There are many banks with ATM but they are relegated to the Peruvian Banking System.

The only one I know of that will allow cross talk to International Accounts is Interbank's "Global Net"

ATMs.

You can take cash daily with a two withdrawal a day limit.

My experience is a limit of  $ 200 dollars each time. [ You will get $20 bills ]

G'day Pistachio, I am coming to you on a query of mine  that has not been  answered at all in the forum...maybe you can shed some light for me...
"Could forum members, who have immigrated to Peru and brought household & personal items in by seafreight (LCL), please share their experience with me/us ?
For example, how difficult, or demanding, is the process through Customs in Lima or Callao ?
What is the Customs procedure of checking legitimate items and do they tend to be tricky at all ?
Is there any additional costs at that end of the shipment....e.g clearance fees etc etc ?
We are intending to seafreight a minimum of items ( approx'1m3)  that can't fly with us...thus the queries.
Hope someone can offer sound advice/information. "

Cheers,
Peter

Ooooooooookay....................

Your shipper will have requirements for selection of items, packing, labeling and restrictions. These instructions are also partly the requirements to entry to Peru.

There are two ports in Peru,, Lima [ Callao ] and Trujillo [ Salvarry ].
International shipments destination is always Lima as having the Customs Agency in place there.

So, It will take approx. 14 days to arrive after departure,,, from Miami,,, you can adjust for your location.
Once arrived it can stay in Customs for 10 days without additional storage charges.

Packing could be in good cardboard boxes,,, all consecutively numbered. You will need to make a Manifest describing the contents of each box. You will also have to assess the value of the items inside and note on the Manifest for each box.

Customs opens and inspects Each box,,, making there own evaluation of Value and also checking for prohibited items. Ok,, so No Guns, and nothing that looks like your going to ReSell it or them here in Peru and they seem to have a thing AGAINST vitamins and supplements.

When it arrives they process your order. You need to give a Peruvian address to the Shipper and for Customs. You may not have that but you can use a friends. Not a problem,, after it is released you will have a trucker or whatever to pick up your things, and you can bring to wherever you want.

Now, the assessment  of value is key here because you have to pay a "duty" on the value of 15%.

You may under evaluate your things and then you will be at odds and have to either negotiate, challenge or simply pay off the difference as compared to what Customs values your things at.

Ok,, as far as interaction with Customs,, there are people who you can hire for a reasonable fee who will be your representative at customs and get your good through and take your part in any problems or disputes. Might be better to go that route. They have connections and pull.

Remember,, voltage here is 220v / most electronics Won't work. Your computer will,,, it will convert or rather accept 220.

If you need a new computer get it there,, not here. Here they are all Single Language Spanish / and you cannot select English or even upgrade it. Also not so bad but true,, the keyboards are slightly different and not what your used to....

If you are a kitchen person and like cast iron,,, buy and bring / does not exist here.
Also,, there are no TUMS here either.. in case you use,,, bring a billion................ LoL !

Customs is not tricky but they are quirky... so,,, unexpected things can come up.....

So,,, that is what I have to say unless you have a question that will prompt my memory......

pistachio

Peter.....

to add.............

there will be some fees at the end but I think the re evaluation of Values will be the most significant....

oh,, and realizing you are from Australia,,, well,,, I have No Idea how long the shipment takes.....but,, it was 14 days from port of Miami.....

For me,, everything arrived intact,,, boxes that were inspected were All retaped with customs ID tape and Nothing Disappeared or was abused and in fact really nothing seemed even disturbed....

Jewelry and precious and special items best be carried with you on your trip.........

pistachio

Thanks so much, Pistachio. All seems relatively straight forward, but taking into account the usual quirkiness of Peruvain officials.
Valuing of things could be a challenge  for us....many personal items...eg photo albums, memorabilia, used, small but necessary household items etc etc....would a notional value be appropriate or just put "personal value only" ? ?
Sounds like they do their own evaluation anyway, so we may have to cop it sweet on their valuing.
I have read somewhere that if immigrating to Peru and applying for a rentista visa for the carnet, that I would be exempt of any import duty...but I think that I'll have to play that angle by ear !! :-)

Once again, thanks for your advice/experiences.
Cheers,
Peter.

personal value sounds good but don't go so far with it that their hair stands up...........I went with what I would sell things for to a second hand store,,,,generally about 30% of retail........or less for personal clothing and memorabilia.............notion sounds good to,,, go with your gut,,,, remember,,, you pay about 15% of declared & agreed value.........

The rentista visa as an exemption rule may or may not be true....

Still.... you usually do that after you have moved here so to make that application you have to come once and then move your things on the second................. And two trips is probably more expensive than paying the customs fees........

Of course,, you should look in to it....

but remember too,,, you paying Soles... so again,, you have quite an edge on the currency side.......[ which could be one of the good reasons your interested in Peru in the first place............

alrighTTTTTy then,,,, on we go...............

Thanks again, mate. By the way, were you affected by the floods and slides ,where you're living ? Sounded quite bad up that way.
Peter