Living in Portugal

You are living in Portugal, or you used to live in Portugal.

Share your experience!

How would you describe life in Portugal?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find an accommodation and a job?

Is it complicated to make friends in Portugal?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Portugal?

Thanks in advance for your participation

We moved to Gois in central Portugal, just over 18 months ago. We have found it a very friendly place, in respect to both the Portuguese and the ex-pat British, German and Dutch people who live in the area. It is very hit-and-miss who speaks English here - sometimes it is the most unexpected people in the lowliest occupations who turn out to speak excellent English, whereas the professional people you might expect to speak some English, don't speak a word.

I have been learning Portuguese since before we moved out here, but it is a slow process! I can read it quite well now, and understand spoken Portuguese increasingly well, but speaking and writing is still very difficult. Sometimes I really do need to make myself understood, and can get frustrated with my own lack of ability. We have free Portuguese classes locally, which are a great meeting place as well as an encouragement to keep learning.

But the most frustration is around bureaucracy - mountains of paper, and everything to be signed in triplicate, long, long waits for any official response - unless it's them wanting some money off us in which case it's immediate! We have been setting up a business here, and it has been a long hard haul  - nearly there now though!

We love the climate, the landscape, the people, and the space and freedom for our children and increasing family of animals. No nightclubs for us, although I do hear there is quite a good nightlife for the young - long after we're tucked up in bed!

Hi

I lived in Faro, Portugal from May until October this year in Faro. I would make the following observations about living in Faro/the Algarve:

1. Food is similar price to UK
2. The climate is great
3. You need to speak Portuguese
4. It is difficult to get good jobs
5. The lifestyle is more relaxed than in Uk
6. the food is better than in UK
7. Cars are very expensive
8. Portugal is very  beurocratic -  you need papers for everything
9. In land everything is cheaper
10. There are lots of stray dogs and cats

we have some info on living in Portugal here
http://www.gekkoportugal.com/living%20in%20portugal.htm

this may be a little off topic but we'll give it a try.
We are citizens of the U.S.
My wife and I recently spent about 4 months in Portugal, we are retired, and young.  We bought a campervan in Holland and traveled most of Portugal.  We enjoyed Monta Rota and Playa Barra the most.
We live in NYC at the moment and have lived here all our lives.
What we would like to do is either buy an apartment or rent an apartment 6 months a year, in the off season, November to April and would like some advice on that.  We also would like some advice on registering a car there.
We've already made numerous friends there and love the (slow for us) pace. 
Anyone have any info on medicare while out of the country?
Thank all,
Great site