The holiday season in the Philippines

Hello everyone,

Are you about to celebrate the holiday season in the Philippines? In many countries and cultures, the festive season is the time for happiness and reunions/gatherings. Is it so in the Philippines? How do Filipinos celebrate this very special time of the year?

What about you? Will you spend the holiday season in your host country or in your home country? Will there be expat reunions/celebrations/parties in your region/town/area?

Thank you in advance for sharing!

Priscilla

Hi Gustavo Woltmann here, and for what I've experience last year, the Filipinos celebrate holidays for a long period of time. For example, in early November, some families already started decorating their house with Christmas Decors. When December comes, a lot of people already go to malls like in Divisoria to buy what they will wear on the Christmas seasons. Unfortunately, heavy traffic occurs on each streets. But, last year is a great Christmas experience here. I've wish my relatives in Panama can come to visit this season. IN our neighborhood, we exchange each food specialty and share it with our neighbors during Christmas Eve.
__
“Publishers are notoriously slothful about numbers, unless they're attached to dollar signs - unlike journalists, quarterbacks, and felony criminal defendants who tend to be keenly aware of numbers at all times.” - Hunter S. Thompson

Good day to you all. I'm Jon Bon, a Filipino. I was born and raised in a province but am now staying in the city. When i was still in our province, we celebrate the holiday seasons with our family and relatives. Christmas celebration for us also becomes a family reunion.

Doing Christmas with Her family.  It is Family reunion day.  So lots of Her Family will be there.  It say's food Lots of Food.  That can be good or bad for me.  Lots of kids running all over all day & into the night.  Candy will be thrown from hiding of f & on. Some gifts gave. Lots of singing some native sports.  We will spend the night there.  That brings in the start of Rizal day's. When you help the poor be kind to all, mend fences, share good will.   Then comes New Years. Fire works & party to run of all the deamon's for another year.  Bring good fortune to your home.   It is not quit American.  I see few lights here on homes. The stores push selling.  In her family it is more basic. Cloths for the kids New shoes & such they need. A small gift. Or in my case 2 shared gifts.  I am giving 2 bikes. One to her fathers side of the family for the kids.  One to her mothers side of the family for the kids.  To share. They are rather clanish.

Hi! Rv here. Filipinos love to spend holidays with their family. In our case, we prepare a little food for us and some visitors. Since Filipinos are generous and they love to give, we start our Christmas shopping in September so we it won't hurt our pocket much. Families celebrate Christmas at 12 midnight.This is not just an ordinary holiday because December 25th is a very special day for Christians like us in the Philippines. It reminds us of the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ and that He will come again. :) Anyway, in the morning we go to church and then visit our grandparents' houses. Kids pay respect by to the elderly people by taking one of their hands and put it on their forehead (We call it "mano").  After that, elders give kids money (we call it aguinaldo). Godparents are required to give their godchildren aguinaldo. This is a tradition in the Philippines. We also do exchange gifts. :)

Since I am off at work in that duration, I will help in our family business (bakery). We usually don't celebrate it the normal way since we are all tired of the day before. Normally, we would just take a rest on the 25th, watch some TV or sleep.

This reply is a bit late. The last few days before Christmas Day can be quite busy for me. I run a business. So in addition to preparing for Christmas celebration for my family, I would have to plan the company's party, show up at clients' parties, prepare gifts for my kids' friends at school.

Most Filipinos are Christians. Around 80% are Catholics. So, Christmas or Pasko celebration is a big deal here in the Philippines, steeped mostly in Christian tradition with a few western and Asian influence.

Retails stores, such as malls, already market their Christmas decor and holiday sales as early as September. Individuals, I believe, do not do their Christmas shopping this early. I myself do not shop this early, except for company giveaways, which can be bought at wholesale prices in Divisoria in Manila. Divisoria is also a  place for bargains for Christmas gifts, which is why it can get really crowded come October up to December.

Filipinos decorate their houses with lights, Christmas trees and other decor as early as November. Us, we decorate early December. The most iconic Christmas decor here is the parol or star-shaped lantern. The star symbolizes the star of Bethlehem which led the three astrologers (sometimes known as the 3 wise men) to the manger where Jesus was born. Usually hung outside the house, the parol can be a simple star made of paper on a bamboo framework or as elaborate as capiz shell lantern with synchronized multicolored lights. There are even parolcompetitions such as this one in Pampanga: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIIdvuMDQ4M

Very rarely, or maybe never, will you see real Christmas trees here, like the ones in the US. I guess it's because they can attract all sorts of bugs and would easily wither considering Philippine weather. So most are artificial. And if a family does not have a budget for a plastic tree, they might improvise by making a cone shaped "tree" made of paper or other materials.

Gift giving is part of the tradition. Come December, malls and retail stores slowly get more and more crowded, especially after employees receive their 13th month pay (end of the year bonus equivalent to 1 month's salary which is mandatory under Philippine law).

Part of Catholic tradition is attending the misa de gallo, which is a mass held at dawn for each day from December 16 to 24. Filipino Catholics believe they will receive a special blessing if they have complete attendance for all 9 masses. Catholics go to the Christmas eve mass, or Simbang Gabi which begins around 8pm. After the mass, the family gathers around for the noche buena meal, and then open their presents.

In our family, we attend the Christmas morning mass instead of the Christmas eve mass because our kids would be too sleepy to attend the evening mass. We do let them open one Christmas gift on Christmas eve and the rest they can open on Christmas Day.

Most companies hold a Christmas party. This year, we had ours at restaurant with a private room for videoke. We had a lot of fun as the workers also brought their kids and joined in the games.

After Christmas, the next celebration is New Year's Eve. Some light firecrackers and fireworks. Unfortunately, some get hurt lighting firecrackers, especially children who sometimes would buy substandard and dangerous firecrackers, which are illegal. Those who can afford it would buy fireworks. We do not buy and just  watch other people's fireworks from our terrace.

We left the 24th Drove to a uncles. For lunch it was rice, pork knuckle soup, noodles in sauce.  Then the men had compititions boating net throws & such.   The women got to cooking.  2 fish 1 Tuna  1 billfish each about 4 foot long. Pit roasted. Every one brought side dish's.  At 5:30 we ate. Then the music started. Of a computer.  We danced sang had games for the kids with bags of treats for prizes.  At midnight we set of fireworks so Santa would not miss the island & to clear all evil spirit's from his path. ood ran out about 2 a.m.  I got some sleep. Some of the young ones danced till daylight. Some beer & rhum also Lots of ice we did not run out this year.  Breakfast was fish soup & rice. We cleaned up the mess then came home to open presents in the afternoon.  That is a Philippine Christmas here. In her clan & family.