Salary for Civil Engineer Expat

Hello Everyone,

I have been approached by a Libyan Oil company to apply for a position, but they've asked me to provide salary expectations and that's where you guys will be very help full since i have no clue how much one makes in such profession in that country and what to ask in terms of benefits that comes a long with the job.
I am a US citizens and I have fairly 3 years of experience in my field.

From what I've read it is not a fun place to be, but I am willing to give it a try since the shape of our economy is in limbo for a while especially in my profession.

I appreciate it your inputs.

Thank you all.

Salaries vary widely here, International companies pay the best BP, Shell etc. I am not a civil engineer, but the advice I was given was ask for at least 25% more than my UK salary.

Also as for benefits - housing should be provided by your company (or money given to you to pay for a house/flat that you find yourself). You should also be asking for at least 2 paid flights home per year. Medical cover should be provided, and also schooling for any children you may have.

As for it 'not being a fun place to be', that is not quite true for all of us. The summer is great when you can go to the beach (finding a clean one isn't easy), and have endless BBQ's. Finding the right social circle to hang around with is also important. You will have a much more laid back time here than you would in the UK/US.

Scan through this forum, and you will see MANY differing views of life in Libya, some good, others bad, it is all down to how you approach it, sometimes I LOVE living here, other days I would pay money to leave. The good times out weigh the bad, hence I am still here.

Thanks Clansman

Clansman...only two flights a year? Not good, not good at all. I am assuming your on married status? Here was me feeling hard done by with 8 weeks work and 2 weeks off.

Civil Engineer...If you are single and to repeat what someone said previously it depends on whether located in the desert or a city. 4/4, 6/3, 10/2 (weeks) is not too uncommon here in Libya.

Thanks MickyT,I will be on a single status not married.

MickyT wrote:

Clansman...only two flights a year? Not good, not good at all. I am assuming your on married status? Here was me feeling hard done by with 8 weeks work and 2 weeks off.

Civil Engineer...If you are single and to repeat what someone said previously it depends on whether located in the desert or a city. 4/4, 6/3, 10/2 (weeks) is not too uncommon here in Libya.

Micky my company gives me 3 flights a year, in my first year hear I only had 1 week off in the first 8 months !!. I am on a residents visa so I just get annual leave, if I split all my leave into one week periods the rotation would be something like 8 and 1.

I know of some companies that only provide 2 flights (paid) back to point of origin per year.

Hello sweetiey.

This thread is old (2011). Can you please start a new on the Tripoli forum and introduce yourself? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie