The holiday season in Madagascar

Hello everyone,

Are you about to celebrate the holiday season in Madagascar? In many countries and cultures, the festive season is the time for happiness and reunions/gatherings. Is it so in Madagascar? How do Malagasies celebrate this very special time of the year?

What about you? Will you spend the holiday season in your host country or in your home country? Will there be expat reunions/celebrations/parties in your region/town/area?

Thank you in advance for sharing!

Priscilla

There is not much of a Christmas Spirit in Madagascar.  With a mix of Hindu, Muslim, Chinese and Malagasy who are strong believers of the cult of the dead and may had a secondary religion to play with but when feelings surface people will turn back to Gris-gris---they have to go there as it would be like denying your belly button.    But hey, when you think about it and when you go to Christmas midnight mass and the priest walking down the center isle and shaking smoke to ward off evil spirits- how much different is that than the Hindus who have smoke in their shops and my wife likes to have incense in the room to clear the air of what--evil spirits. 

Even at the closing of my school for two weeks by the government for holiday, Today we had  the ceremony dances and games along with their report cards,   and some of us dressing up as Santa Claus and giving of gifts with those report cards is just so alien to my 135 students and families.  But they do like the party atmosphere. 

Each year I give my employees from Santa Claus a large package of gifts, mostly of basic supplies and candies and always 5 kilos of rice.  One year I gave my guardian/security a watch, which he sold.  He said he didn't need two watches as the sun was the only watch he needed.  So I have learned basic supplies turns out to be the better gift.

It is the New Year that people will spend an entire months salary in food, games, clothing, and drinking soda and more drinking of adult beverages with loud competing music, dancing in the streets and singing as well, happiness for the most part that lasts for three days.
It is this time at the end of Dec I will give an entire months salary as a cash gift called the 13 th month salary.   

So the Holiday season is a combination of Christmas and New year and a long party. It is also this time of year that stores will close for an entire month to give their employees the one month legal government holiday vacation. 

For me, and the family we do the traditional tree, gifts under the tree and cooking special treats and a fine meal, on the side of a buffet. Plenty of soda and beer for people will pass over the holiday for an hour to say hello and happy new year.  And we take some time to go to the seaside for games and brochettes and ice cream between Christmas and New Year. 

With this I will leave you all with holiday cheer and say Happy holiday , Merry Christmas and
Happy New Year 2017

An very informative piece of information.

Wish you and your family the very best for the season and a pleasant year 2017.

Kind  Regards
Naushad