The holiday season in Japan

Hello everyone,

Are you about to celebrate the holiday season in Japan? In many countries and cultures, the festive season is the time for happiness and reunions/gatherings. Is it so in Japan? How do Japanese celebrate this very special time of the year?

What about you? Will you spend the holiday season in your host country or in your home country? Will there be expat reunions/celebrations/parties in your region/town/area?

Thank you in advance for sharing!

Priscilla

We went shopping for our weekly groceries today at a fairly large store here in Japan. All the female assistants at the checkouts were  dressed in Santa oufits, including hats. There were various posters advertising Christmas, even a tree in the doorway. Christmas music was being played in the store too. Christmas is used to promote sales over here. Most Japanese work as usual on Christmas Day. Some workers may go for a drink or a meal. Families give their kids presents. Of course the majority don't go to church on Christmas Day. But it's nice to see decorations and hear Christmas music here and there. Merry Christmas!

This is my fourth Christmas in Japan.  Yes, it is commercialized, but I enjoy the decorations, music and the various light shows.  Last week I attended the Projection mapping at Skytree and last night the one at Landmark Center in Yokohama.  At our mall there are lights and coordinated music shows.  My Japanese family celebrates the holiday exchanging gifts and we have a traditional Christmas dinner.  We also celebrate the New Year Japan style with visits from our relatives and money envelops for the children.  All in all a great holiday season.