The holiday season in China

Hello everyone,

Are you about to celebrate the holiday season in China? In many countries and cultures, the festive season is the time for happiness and reunions/gatherings. Is it so in China? How do Chinese celebrate this very special time of the year?

What about you? Will you spend the holiday season in your host country or in your home country? Will there be expat reunions/celebrations/parties in your region/town/area?

Thank you in advance for sharing!

Priscilla

are you serious ? you know the chinese do not celebrate any holidays that are not their own. i am not going back to america for the holidays. i am going to japan to see my daughter in jan. as we do not get off for the american holidays here. no one in their right mind would come to changshu for any reason on earth. it is the most hateful town  have ever been to. i have been to over 12 countries and to over 15-20 cities in china and this is the only place i have met with such awful people. im sure other places are having some sort of celebrations, just not here in the land of hate. so what are you up to ?

Thanks for keeping the forums moving, Priscilla =)

Well, traveling back home to the US isn't practical for me right now, and also slowly Dalian is becoming "home" these days.

I invited a bunch of friends to my house last weekend actually, which was a lot of fun. We had a potluck and a gift exchange (budget of 30 to 60 rmb per gift). We decorated the house the way I would back in the US: tree, door wreath, festive table cloth, lights around the house. Downloaded lots of favorite Xmas songs to play, and had hot cocoa and marshmallows flowing. People arrived at all different times, but the last handful of people left the house by 1:30am. Sitting there with my friends late at night with the dining table a huge mess full of disposable plates and cups: it was wonderful.

I know that everyone connects Christmas directly with "home", but it felt nice to try and bring home a little closer to the people around me. I would encourage everyone to not be alone and go meet some friends or make some new friends this holiday season =)

you are so lucky people want to be friends with you. in this town, they run from the ''stupid foreigner''  they are living in the ming dynasty, or something like that here. happy holidays to you ! i will spend the holidays by myself, maybe go to a supermarket or ride a bus in a direction i haven't been in to see where it goes.

Sorry to hear that it's been hard to meet some nice folks in your area. Have you met anyone online maybe who is either another expat or a local who is open to meeting foreigners? It's true, peoples' attitudes towards foreigners is really dynamic in China. Some love us and some think we're from another planet. For myself I just had to connect with enough people online until I could create my own little circle of new friends.

I hope your holiday season can be a nice one =)

howham57 wrote:

you are so lucky people want to be friends with you. in this town, they run from the ''stupid foreigner''  they are living in the ming dynasty, or something like that here. happy holidays to you ! i will spend the holidays by myself, maybe go to a supermarket or ride a bus in a direction i haven't been in to see where it goes.

thank you for your kindness. i can not get out of here fast enough. they day my contract is up i will be on a plane or bus or donkey or what ever, but i am so leaving this misery behind as fast as i can.

Hi. This is Claire from chinaexpat.cn. Are you looking for a teaching job now?I have lots of teaching position vacancies in China , waiting for you . whatever age group , whatever locations , what ever subjects .As long as you are looking for job, please feel free to contact with me!!my skype address is xxx and wechat is xxxx

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Chinaexpat.cn,

if you have open vacancies, please publish them in the proper section of the website : Jobs in China.

Thanks in advance,
Bhavna