US citizen operating a hawker stall?

Hello,

I did a quick search but couldn't find anything on the subject. I'm an American chef interested in leasing a small hawker stall in one of the food courts. Which location I can deal with later. What I'm looking for is a definitive yes or no as to whether this would be possible and what visa would be required for such a venture? I've been a Chef for 20 years and have opened multiple restaurants so I'm well aware this is a lifestyle choice and what it entails.

A few years ago, I tried to open a stall on Pengang at Gurney Dr, even had a meeting with the city council but was told that only Malay and Chinese citizens could own/operate a stall. I couldn't even cook in one. I'm sure I don't have enough capital to invest in any type of Entrepreneur visa, but definitely have enough startup, working and living capital to launch my concept in a stall. I also have a good friend who is a Singapore citizen that I can trust if this helps. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you,

John

Sorry to hear your last experience at Penang, it surprised to know the response from the city councillor .. cause in Penang plenty of Indian Malaysians do have food stalls and there 100s of food stalls from foreigners too.

In Singapore there are certain rules to open a restaurant but does permits foreigners. Below link may help you to know the rules or restrictions prior to open your F&B business here. Good luck.

http://www.ecra.sg/guides/starting-a-fo … singapore/

As far as I heard, renting (subsidized) HDB hawker stalls is reserved for citizens (but many of them do have foreign cooks and employees). There are probably no such restrictions for renting stalls in private coffee shops or food courts.
There is an American-run chain of hawker stalls: Botak Jones (http://www.botakjones.com). If you are no competition (he serves Hamburgers and American fast food), you may want to contact him for advice on how to get going.

Thank you both for your information. I have contacted Botak Jones for further advice