Holiday

Hello.I plan to travel in Vietnam by bicycle. Where can I buy an inexpensive or rent a bicycle suitable for long journeys?

ASAMA is a locally made 18 speed bicycle with good breaks, flat handle bar with gear change in the grips, hydraulic front forks to reduce armshake, good mud guards, and a rear carry rack . I paid 2.5 million dong a few years ago for an equivalent to 21 inch frame, and a friend bought a much larger, lighter frame for 4.5 million dong. I strongly suggest you bring your own pump, tool kit, green goo, good quality spare tubes, comfortable saddle, panniers, handle bar bag, bell, front and rear light, generator/ battery recharger, and hydraulic seat stem, as you will have trouble finding these in VN.

Almost any8 bike shop stocks Asama brand. Helmets are available at motor bike helmet shops, not bike shops. If you take a large size, you will have to buy one at home and bring it with you.

Google Maps and the blue covered VN road atlas ( Tap ban do giao thong duong bo Vietnam, available in Fahasa bookshops, 210,000 dong) will help you keep off overbusy Highway 1 as much as possible.

Warning: The official place names on maps are often NOT the same as the local place names on km posts along the road.

Enjoy your trip and safe cycling.

Thanks for the information.