English Primary Schools

Hi

I will be relocating to Mauritius in April.
I have a six year old son and he only speaks English, are there primary schools other than the International schools that teaches in English?????

Hi Dimple,

These threads may help you:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6016https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=58231https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13322

I remember St Andrews School in Rose-Hill used to teach in English. It is a 'Church of England' school. However best to ask them first.

Stormtrooper wrote:

I remember St Andrews School in Rose-Hill used to teach in English. It is a 'Church of England' school. However best to ask them first.

IIRC St Andrews' is not a primary school.

External wrote:

IIRC St Andrews' is not a primary school.

No it isn't. My mistake, misread question.

There are several IPS Schools in the North.

One is not far from Grand Bay - Mapou

Another is in Fond du Sac - Lighthouse School. Christian School but takes non-christian kids - small and very well run school. Great Ethos.

Joe

Hi there

I have two kids in Lighthouse primary. It is a Christian based school and there are non-Christian kids too. It is a very positive and caring environment. You can contact the school at +230 266 2627. The head master is Jeff Gray.

All the best with your relocation!

Can anyone tell me what the school fees are at Lighthouse...

Hi,

My daughter was studying last year at Lighthouse, it was excellent for her (Spanish speaker only at that time). The fees are reasonable if you compare with another english schools.

Thanks for your reply!  I have since been in touch with a couple of the schools and have had a very positive response.  I have heard such good things about Lighthouse.  Now I just have to find a job!

Hi there!!

Lighthouse Primary is a very good school..but it depends on where you're living.If you'll be around Plaine Wilhems (Centre of the island) then Lighthouse Primary is gonna be a very long way from home.
Below are some schools around the island,english-speaking private schools, hope these might help.

HAMPTON INFANT AND PRIMARY SCHOOL
Address : 17, B. de St Pierre Avenue, Quatre-Bornes
Ph Number : +230 4257951

STEP AHEAD PRE-PRIMARY AND PRIMARY SCHOOL
Address : Virgil Naz Avenue, Quatre-Bornes
Ph Number : +230 4675756

St NICHOLAS GRAMMAR SCHOOL
Address : Palmerstone Road, Phoenix
Ph Number : +230 6864024

CAVENDISH INSTITUTE LTD
Address : Belle-Rose Avenue, Quatre-Bornes
Ph Number : +230 4658069 or +230 4657682

Thanks SO much Hazle!  I didn't have these schools on my list :)

You're welcome Debsy :)

Can I also suggest Clavis International School, I am moving the whole family to Mauritius next year and will be sending my son here... I am british born but of mauritian parents and have always been told that this school is amongst the best in the country, check their website out also and good luck finding somewhere :-)

clavis.mu

Thanks, I did look at this school and also Telfair Primary and West Coast International.  Have you heard of those schools?

Hi, i am here since july,2011 for emplyment purpose. I am from India (Mumbai). My family will join me by mid of October. My son is 6.5 Years old and currently studing in 1st standard (ICSE Board). I am staying at Sodnac Quatre Borne. Please suggest me good english speaking school. Secondly, want to know that if we will return back to India after 2 to 3 years then can he cope up with that standard? I have checked International School, i like the concept but the fees are very high. What about the Hampton school? Please guide me.

Parag,

if you are in QB, Sodnac, try St Nicholas School on the Sodnac Link road (the road towards jumbo).

Hi, you could also try Morning Star School, which is an English-speaking primary school located in Trianon, just next to Quatre-Bornes.

They are a Christian school and use the ACE Curriculum. 

For more info on them you can check the business directory under primary schools or check out their website morningstar.mu

Hello. I have spent extensive time weighing the pros and cons of different English international schools. My choice went for clavis school for my two kids. Excellent and charismatic  head master, dedicated staff and enjoyable atmosphere for kids. If u live and work in the central or western part of the island it can be a nice pick. Moreover, access to IB also available as it is feeder for bocage school.

HI Hampton is one of the best options for Indian expats here, firstly because of its fees, its a good school, your child will have many other india friends aswell. After some thorough research i am sending my daughter to Hampton and I assure you, YOu will see for yourself the reasons why I selected this school.
I too was an ICSE student from India, the level, the teching skills, extra curricular activities.......its a humble place, but the children are taken care of of very well.
HOpe this is helpful for YOu.

parag shah wrote:

Hi, i am here since july,2011 for emplyment purpose. I am from India (Mumbai). My family will join me by mid of October. My son is 6.5 Years old and currently studing in 1st standard (ICSE Board). I am staying at Sodnac Quatre Borne. Please suggest me good english speaking school. Secondly, want to know that if we will return back to India after 2 to 3 years then can he cope up with that standard? I have checked International School, i like the concept but the fees are very high. What about the Hampton school? Please guide me.

My girl is almost 3years old ,and she is in Hampton school now,Hampton is a very good school for us so far.

But most of school will be in holiday from mid of Nov, so i wanna find some english speaking school or center to keep her adapt the school life more durative. we living in Ebene now! hope

After looking around this forum and the internet, I also have enrolled my two boys at Hampton School Mauritius. They seem to have the most comprehensive information.

Thanks to everyone who posted here, without your comments its hard to know where to go!

Joni

Hi all,

we are moving to MRU in Jan, and we have enrolled our 3.5yr old daughter in to the IPS school in Laboudonnais in the North. We will be living in Grand Baie, so this is only 15mins away.

Hi ...afta o thorough  search ive enrol my 4yo n 3yo kids in step ahead..d fees r quite   high...but my kids only speak eng s they were born in uk....
But for the primary school ive decided to sent them normal gov school..
So can any1 recommend  any good school aound rose hill...

Tq

Hi subharaju,

I think your kids will adapt easily, and learning  french  at their age will not be problem at all. I am not sure if you can send your kids to gov. schools, you will have to contact the authorities first.I will try to ask some of my mauritians coworkers about your query.

cheers.

Btq fr ur reply....i thnk ma kids can enrol in gov school as my husband is a mauritian..
N yes do please ask around for more information ...
God bless

Dimple
Yes my daughter goes to IPS. check out there webpage.

We just entered our kids in Safe and Sound Primary in Quatre Bornes. So far we are happy with them, the prices are more reasonable than the International Schools and the curriculum is at least as good. Our favorite was Hampton School both in Quatre Bornes and Curepipe but was not in our price range at the moment. Let me know how it works out for you or if you have questions.

Hi Dimple,

I am at HAMPTON SCHOOL at Quatre Bornes. I found it pretty good school and the curriculum is very similar to Indian Curriculum, and they follow british system of education. You can try it once. I m Mrs. Mukherji, you can look for me there. We would be happy to have there. take care.

Hi All,
Any info on English speaking Secondary schools. Or can expat kids go in Govt schools also.

My children are in Class 6th & 7th english medium.

It looks so nice that Mrs. Mukherji is trying to help out Dimple.
@Dimple: please update us with details on admission of your Son.

Thanks

Hi saurabh.lovemu,

May you can have a look at Le Bocage international school. Or the Northfields International High School. Hope these link might be helpful. ;)

Thank you,

David.

Hi
I have shortlisted the following schools for my daughter who will start class VI here in Mauritius

1.  Hampton School
2.  Morning Star
3.  St Nicolas

Has anyone experienced any of these schools?
Request you to please share your feedback at the earliest.

yes! I would definitely advise step ahead infant and primary school. Great english medium school, owned by Mrs Jane Wilcox.  Small but great school where your child will enjoy a fun and dynamic learning environment. Visit their website at stepaheadschool.com :)
i hope this helps

list of primary schools for expats ]list of primary schools for expats[/url]can be found here.