Cats from South Africa to Malta

Hello all

I am looking at moving to Malta sometime between July and September this year.  We want to bring our Cats along, however as we come from South Africa we have to Quarantine them for 6 months... can anybody help with info on the Quarantine faciclities and what else i need to do to get my children there with me?

many thanks in advance

Mary

HI Mary,

Welcome to the forum.

For info on bringing pets (cats and dogs ) to Malta please check out the previous post ' Bringing our pet dog to Malta '. You will find contact details there.

Children ? Are you talking about your pets or your family ? Your kids will not need to go into quarantine :) but should be able to accompany you on your own visa especially if you come under the Residence Scheme.

Regards
Ricky

HA HA Ha... the Children are my CATS!!

I have looked at all the info and i will have to quarantine my cats.  My question is what are the quarantine facilities like in Luqa?? I havent been able to find any info or pics anywhere about the facilities.

Thanks
Mary

hi Mary - good luck with the cats. im sure you will find a way! just a question - how did you manage to get to live/work in malta.  i have a south african passport and also looking at moving there but it seems quite difficult regarding the amount it actually costs to get an EU passport?
would appreciate a response.
thanks
amanda preston

Hello Amanda

My fiances company is relocating, however i am an EU citizen through Italy.. we still in the very early stages of planning to go over.. my biggest decision right now is regarding the Cats and whether i put them into Quarantine for 6 months or find homes for them here in SA...

Regards
Mary

oh how jealous i am.  i would do just about anything to get EU citizenship.  im a psychologist in private practice at the moment and want to live in italy (ideally) or Malta so trust me, you are a very blessed woman.
i wish you all the very best in your move and on the days you are a little frustrated there, remember there is a woman in SA who is longing to be in your shoes!!!!

take care and i hope you sort out your cats. i love cats myself - have 4 at the moment....

Oh WOW.. 4 darlings..

We might have to take them to Sundays River and give them to my mom and dad! at least i will know that they are looked after there, breaks my heart leaving them.

The other way for you to move to Malta is with a working VISA but you need to secure a job there first.

Best of Luck and if you ever do make it over, drop me a line and we can meet up!!

Mary

@ Amanda,

I am an Eastern Cape Girl myself... from the small town of Uitenhage, but Cape Town has been my home for 6 years...finding it hard to pack up and leave this amazing City.

Hi Mary and Amanda,

I wish you both luck with your plans.

My feeling is that it might be best to leave the 'kids' in SA instead of putting them through the quarantine. I'll try and get some info on quarantine when I'm back in Malta next week.

There is no real way of getting an EU passport through paying ( unless you are a billionaire-))) so you will need to consider getting a residence permit through a work permit.Depending on your qualifications that could be difficult as the authorities will always look to see if there is not an EU citizen available for the job you are looking at.If there isn't then your chances are good !

It's nice that you two Eastern Cape girls  met on our Malta forum.

Regards
Ricky

you can get a residence permit via the permanent residence scheme - however, you can't get a work permit if you choose this option

Hi Mary (and Amanda)
Putting cats into quarantine is very stressful for them (and as a result for you as well) We did a great deal of research before making a our decision to leave them behind. We left SA in 2001 and one of my sons & wife took my two cats into his home as their new parents. They have been exceptionally happy in their new home, totally accepting their new parents and it's just us that have done the 'missing'. We go back to SA every two years or so and the cats jump straight back into our bed from the first night that we sleep there. I know how you feel, but loving them means not putting them through that stress. Good luck (ex Joey's)

thanks Rooikat

if they didnt have to be quarantined i would take them with me in a heartbeat, they really are part of my family and its a super hard decision.  I hear your point and they are very valid... my cats are both indoor flat cats, re hominig them wont be easy either...

Will have to ask family members if they will take them.

Thanks for all the advice.

hi all
thanks for your responses! i appreciate it!. i have mailed Malta University and they have lectureship posts from time to time.  so thanks for the advice.  i have investigated the buying property option but it is expensive for we south africans as the exchange rate is circa 10 : 1.  so we have to pay 10 x the going rate in the EU.  anyway, time will tell. i went to italy last year and it was awesome.  of course, another option is to marry an EU citizen?!!! ha!

To MaryLove and all the other cat lovers:   This is why I think I might have missed my window of opportunity.  I have wanted to move to Malta for a long time, but I have a 20 year old cat I got in school who I refuse to abandon or quarantine.

Well, I hope they sort out whatever is going on.  I read the link George had in the other link on the Permanent Residency program being suspended.  At least there are other people in the world who love their cats, so I don't feel so stupid.  He's outlasted several bf.

duffy